PADI Rescue Diver certification - worth taking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far and away the best PADI class I've ever taken.

I found that the primary utility to me was the ability to recognize and manage PERSONAL situations before they become emergencies. Also, I did get to play the victim. Before the rescue scenarios got started the instructor pulled me aside and told me that when he looked at me I was to drop to the ground with a - simulated - DCI hit. I went down like a sack of potatoes and did my best impression of a bent diver in complete agony. (I should note that I haven't the foggiest notion of what a bent diver in complete agony looks like.) My acting was so good that the rest of the class stood around paralyzed with shock that someone would actually experience an emergency in the middle of a Rescue class. Good times.

Caveat: You may want to think twice before offering up your rescue diver card as proof of certification in some instances. Under common law, a tort could lie under a theory of duty to rescue. Although it is unlikely that any liability would be found in such a case, you will be named in any suit for holding yourself out as a certified first responder. (I should make clear that everyone present will get named in any suit, but an affirmative duty to rescue would only arise by holding yourself out as a trained rescuer.)

A few weeks back I was listening to an instructor give a pre-dive brief at the quarry when frenzied shouts of "help" came from the - just out of sight - water. The reaction of about half the students was to run and assist. The instructor simply said, "Ignore it. The second you even look in that direction you are involved." Ever since, I've been trying to decide what I think about this statement. I was one of those students whose first instinct was to respond, but my training as an attorney and heightened awareness of potential liability leads me to agree with the instructor - at least in this instance where there were professional rescuers on duty as well as a few hundred other divers.

Take the class.

I have a very dubious view of all of my mainstream training . . . EXCEPT Rescue. Rescue was a very good class -- quite thorough, well organized, and with practice of practical and useful skills. I would highly recommend it. You will most likely not run into everything or think of everything that is taught there, just through day to day diving.

I can tell you from tragic personal experience that a real diving emergency is not a time when you want to be trying to think up what to do.

With the right instructor, regardless of agency, it is a great class. With the wrong instructor it is a complete waste of time. How can you tell one from the other? Ask, ask, ask ... everyone that you can.

I definitely recommend this course. There is an aspect of self rescue to the course which will make you a better diver. Additionally the stress cycle should be covered as well. This will help you as well as allow you to help other divers.

At the end of the course we discussed how a lot of the reactions you should have to particular emergencies seem like common sense... but to me part of that was hindsight. Actually going through the many different scenarios and discussing the various issues that may arise really helped build my confidence.

I would also like to point out that I have become a much more aware buddy. The course I took discussed signs of stress and situations that may seem minor but could be compounded into a major problem. Being able to recognize these signs early and break the cycle as soon as possible will allow you to prevent a scenario before it occurs.

When an emergency happens time is very critical. As such, it is important that you first stop, think/breathe then act as quickly as possible. By taking the course you will practice different scenarios which will hopefully put you in a position to have the correct response to a given situation. As stated above, during an emergency is not the time when you want to be wasting time, thus practicing helps make the decision process go more smoothly.

As a instructor its my favourite and fun course to teach if it done right it helps to build confidence and makes you think before you act because the last thing you want is to become a victim yourself. Go for it

Wow I would say between open water diver and rescue diver this is one of the only courses most everyone will agree on is worth while. Me personally I took it so I could get my MSD and hated the course at first. My instructor was very good though and taught me a lot of useful information. Id say after it was all said and done I actually fell in love with it afterwords and cant compliment the instructors enough.

Looking back on it and thinking how much I utilize simple things like locating a missing diver can come in handy even if you were merely seperated from your buddy.

Hope my imput helps

Thanks everyone for the feedback - sounds like a resounding "GO TAKE IT" - which I will. Never had every single person endorse an idea before :p

Ringmod65 - Thanks in particular for the info on potential liability. Never thought about it, will stick to using my AOW certification as as proof.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the situation you described with the instructor - would be my natural instinct to check on the person screaming for help too. I don't think I can live with myself if something happened and I could have stopped it. But the potential liability part worries me too - I'm not from the US and hence unfamiliar with laws etc but will be moving there for work next month and would prefer not to be sued for anything :p

Far and away the best PADI class I've ever taken.

I found that the primary utility to me was the ability to recognize and manage PERSONAL situations before they become emergencies. Also, I did get to play the victim. Before the rescue scenarios got started the instructor pulled me aside and told me that when he looked at me I was to drop to the ground with a - simulated - DCI hit. I went down like a sack of potatoes and did my best impression of a bent diver in complete agony. (I should note that I haven't the foggiest notion of what a bent diver in complete agony looks like.) My acting was so good that the rest of the class stood around paralyzed with shock that someone would actually experience an emergency in the middle of a Rescue class. Good times.

I love to chime in on Rescue Diver threads, as I'm a total advocate. Your anecdote reminds me of my own class; the element of surprise--which is a great training technique--is what I think really sets Rescue apart from other classes. There we were on the boat, heading out to do our Rescue exercises, all relaxed and looking out at the sea. I happened to notice one of us talking casually to the Instructor. Soon, people started gathering around, and I walked over. The Instructor was doing a very convincing act, talking about what could be some mild dive-related injury. She was so matter-of-fact about it, that it took several minutes before some of us even realized that this was part of the class, and our first exercise of the day. There was a lot of that sort of thing that day.

Caveat: You may want to think twice before offering up your rescue diver card as proof of certification in some instances. Under common law, a tort could lie under a theory of duty to rescue. Although it is unlikely that any liability would be found in such a case, you will be named in any suit for holding yourself out as a certified first responder. (I should make clear that everyone present will get named in any suit, but an affirmative duty to rescue would only arise by holding yourself out as a trained rescuer.)

The whole issue of potential liability of Divemasters and, I suppose, Rescue divers, comes up frequently, and I know there are threads talking about it. Not to resurrect this topic here, but common law aside, people have pointed out that Good Samaritan laws usually protect one who tries to help.

About the liability part. In the U.S. they have good semaritan laws. As long as your acting in good faith in a ligitamit attempt to help save a life (In good faith that is) you can not be sued. Now if you go professional and you are being paid then you can be sued if something bad happens. Not to say that will happen but its the law so I wanted to insert that.

Good Samaritan laws do vary from state to state. Unfortunately, anyone can be sued for just about anything, and dealing with it can be a pain. I expect that even if I leave my Rescue card at home, the fact that I have one is going to be discoverable in case of a lawsuit being filed.

Back
Top Bottom