PADI rescue diver EFR requirement for paramedic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got Got my cpr card from Red Cross a few months ago. Can I skip the CPR and just do the first aid?

Wait... Just realized something. These are courses that need to be taken before starting the class, and arent taught right? Its a wee bit late for me, so sorry if im a bit oblivious at the moment.
Yeah, that`s fine. Following is from EFR Instructor guide:
"To participate in the EFR Secondary Care (First Aid) course, individuals must complete the EFR Primary Care (CPR) course or another qualifying prerequisite course. Courses that qualify are those teaching primary care (CPR) from any training agency."

In my RD class, the EFR needed to be taken before the second session. So, the way it worked was first RD session, EFR class, second RD session.

Yeah, that`s correct, EFR must be completed prior to session 2 of the RD course, but you can take EFR anytime prior to session 2 (it`s open to non-divers), just as long as ıt`s within 2 years of the RD course.

I fully understand the Paramedics frustration.
I am a registered nurse, 26 yrs experience, BLS, and ACLS certified. My LDS want me to take their First Aide course to get a rescue diver cert, (more $$$ for them). This would be like going back to grade school.
I would like the Rescue Diver cert., but not paying them to teach me something I could teach them! :mooner:

Being a Registered Nurse or a doctor does not qualify one to perform emergency medicine, necessarily. If you are a ER nurse and you can provide proof than there is no argument. There have been many instances where a doctor of something showed up on an accident scene, wanting to help, but being in the way because he really had no idea how to manage tramatic injuries.

But, the basic heirarchy of EMS is - Lay person, First Aid trained, First Responder, EMT, Paramedic, Flight Nurse, ER Nurse and Doctor. Thus Paramedic overrules First Aid and does not have to take a First Aid class to qualify for an "equil or greater" training requirement.

Back
Top Bottom