PADI rescue diver EFR requirement for paramedic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First aid is required. I'll paraphrase the standard for you which says basically PADI Rescue Diver course student diver(s) must successfully complete a sanctioned course within the past 24 months in cpr and basic first aid. AED is not required but can be taught during the EFR course if the instructor is certified to teach it. I don't know why you were not required to have it Selkie as the Instructor Manual I am using is a 2007 copy and that is where the paraphrase above came from. The EFR covers the basic skills which I am sure you have as a DVM anyway. :) Bandages, shock, bleeding control etc.

I'm sure you're right. Yeah, the basics are the same whether the patient has two legs or four.:wink:

If they don't accept PM I think I'd be reconsidering my choice of shop. :D

Are you sure about this? When I took Rescue (2007), EFR was required (CPR+AED), but not First Aid. My understanding was that First Aid wasn't required until the Dive Master level. Maybe standards have changed.

Hi Selkie,

Since PADI Standards are my life I am very sure about this. As stated in the current PADI Rescue Diver Instructor Guide:

First Aid and CPR Requirement
1. Prior to Knowledge Development Presentation Two and Rescue Training Session Two, the PADI Rescue Diver course student diver must successfully complete a sanctioned course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months).

The instructor who conducted your course was in viloation of standards if he/she did not require basic first aid course completion. When the Rescue Diver course was revised in 2004 and no longer included a first aid module in the program, a first aid course completion was then required for Rescue DIver certification.

You know, thinking back on it, I guess there was some very basic first aid covered in the EFR course. I do remember some discussion of bleeding control, etc. I specifically recall being volunteered to demo the safe removal of exam gloves since I had medical training (which is ironic actually since in veterinary medicine there is generally much less risk from exposure to body fluids from other species). Anyway, I guess my confusion stemmed from now having to take an additional first aid course for my dive master certification. Thanks.

When I took the rescue course they accepted my medic and waved the requirements.

Now that is how to reply! You are definately NOT a master of misinformation! Excellent work!
Hi Selkie,

Since PADI Standards are my life I am very sure about this. As stated in the current PADI Rescue Diver Instructor Guide:

First Aid and CPR Requirement
1. Prior to Knowledge Development Presentation Two and Rescue Training Session Two, the PADI Rescue Diver course student diver must successfully complete a sanctioned course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months).

The instructor who conducted your course was in viloation of standards if he/she did not require basic first aid course completion. When the Rescue Diver course was revised in 2004 and no longer included a first aid module in the program, a first aid course completion was then required for Rescue DIver certification.

Are you sure about this? When I took Rescue (2007), EFR was required (CPR+AED), but not First Aid. My understanding was that First Aid wasn't required until the Dive Master level. Maybe standards have changed.
No standards haven't changed, the secondary care part of the EFR is first aid (bandaging, splinting etc), and there is no further level of first aid for the RD course.

I got Got my cpr card from Red Cross a few months ago. Can I skip the CPR and just do the first aid?

Wait... Just realized something. These are courses that need to be taken before starting the class, and arent taught right? Its a wee bit late for me, so sorry if im a bit oblivious at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom