PADI Rescue Diver Not Dived Since 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasondh

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As above I am qualified to PADI Rescue divr but have not dived since 2005.

Can someone let me know what I need to do to refresh and enable me to dive in the Red Sea when I go next month?

IMO,It all depends on the quality of your skills.
When YOU doubt them,go do a scubareview.
If you're SHURE they are OK, go dive asap and log some dives.
The RedSea OP's will want to see prove of resent dives,if you can't
provide that,you'll have to do a review overthere.
(waist of time and $$)IMO

You will find that shops in the Red Sea will insist on a refresher of some kind after as little as 6 months out of the water. One of the shops I freelance for here in Sharm insists on a check dive after 6 months away from diving - it costs a few euros more and the instructors basically review a few of the more important skills and then go for an easy dive to determine the divers' comfort levels before they hit the more advanced sites. I think a scuba review is required after 18 months.

After 4 years you may wish to consider a scuba review or find a buddy and go and do a few easy dives before head off to the red sea (if that's possible in your location) .

Practically speaking, it won't make much difference to your holiday. Enjoy your time here! :)

Cheers

C.

You will find that shops in the Red Sea will insist on a refresher of some kind after as little as 6 months out of the water. One of the shops I freelance for here in Sharm insists on a check dive after 6 months away from diving - it costs a few euros more and the instructors basically review a few of the more important skills and then go for an easy dive to determine the divers' comfort levels before they hit the more advanced sites. I think a scuba review is required after 18 months.

After 4 years you may wish to consider a scuba review or find a buddy and go and do a few easy dives before head off to the red sea (if that's possible in your location) .

Practically speaking, it won't make much difference to your holiday. Enjoy your time here! :)

Cheers

C.

I am really only interested in seeing fish and corals. I am thinking it might be worth doing the scuba review in Sharm and doing some easy dives as you suggest. I've spent tons of pool hours doing my DM so my skills are pretty well practised but no recently.

Should I just take my dive log out with me then and make contact with a dive school.

Can you recommend one in the vicinity of my hotel 'Blue Bay Reef Oasis' or something.

plenty of fish and coral!

You'll find that whoever you book with, they will ask you to do a check dive or review anyway - I think it's regulation enforced by the relatively new CDWS diving oversight body. You'll have to forgive my slightly uncertain response, I haven't been working here very long and it's quite different to the Sharm that I used to dive in before going pro!

Blue Bay has it's own dive centre - although I have no idea what they're like. The bigger shops have pickup services anyay - so for example Red Sea College, Camel, Emperor etc., all the biggies in Na'ama Bay are worth looking at. Yes, you will be on a big boat with a lot of people but I always found I was well looked after. I would suggest you make contact with a few beforehand and discuss options - make sure you let them know you're a rescue diver and experienced.

Try this link for more dive operators in Sharm - Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba & Taba Biggest Search Engine - it's a directory of services in the area.

Hope that helps!

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom