PADI Rescue Diver--tell me what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJHorton

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am signed up to take Rescue class this spring. I'd like to know what to expect in class.

Also, what is the written test like? Multiple choice? Is there anything particular to concentrate on in the book?

I will be talking to the instructor about it but I'd just like other's input.

Thanks.

Expect lots of FUN!!! Rescue students usually say that they had more fun in the class than in any other class they've had. Of course it's all about serious business, but the fun is there too!

The water sessions focus on self-rescue (review of some OW stuff here). Next comes rescue techniques from shore and then comes rescuing panicked and unresponsive divers underwater, and on the surface. There's several rescue scenarios to go through. I hope you are in a good-sized class - that makes it even more fun!

Max
PADI IDCS 198186

Expect you DM's to be sneaking off while your not looking to catch you off guard and getting themselves into situations that require rescuing.

Also, expect that your group will lose a minimum of three pieces of gear over the duration of the course. Probably a snorkel, some weights, and a member of your class.

Not really a member of your class though. That would be bad :(

Expect lots of FUN!!! Rescue students usually say that they had more fun in the class than in any other class they've had. Of course it's all about serious business, but the fun is there too!

The water sessions focus on self-rescue (review of some OW stuff here). Next comes rescue techniques from shore and then comes rescuing panicked and unresponsive divers underwater, and on the surface. There's several rescue scenarios to go through. I hope you are in a good-sized class - that makes it even more fun!

Max
PADI IDCS 198186

Ditto. :)

Rescue diver is actually a great class.

You will learn how to approach a diver at the surface, including some practical skills at managing or fending off a panicked diver.

You will learn how to tow or push a diver on the surface. It is a lot of work and you will get tired quickly.

You will learn how to manage non-breathing divers, both on the bottom and on the surface. You will learn how to get a diver from the bottom up to the surface.

You will be expected to be the leader in at least one scenario. You will be calling the shots, delegating responsibility and calling for assistance.

You will learn how to carry a diver out of the water and onto shore.

The test is multiple choice. I seem to remember that there were some debatable questions.

Good luck.

expect to be tired, a couple of long days and if you have a good instructor to learn alot more than you thought you would

for me, rescue is not just a course you take & buy the cert card - you earn the pass on this one!

as far as the test, there is the standard PADI workbook and questions so dont worry too much about that, its the physical exercises you will learn most from

enjoy

You'll put on and take off your gear probably 30 times a day, and learn to do it quickly. Every time you take off your get, make sure you leave in ready to jump back into. Loosen up your fin straps and bc if necessary to aid in donning them quick.

Edit: Many times he made us remove our regs from the tank and tank from the bc. If you have all your gear you might practice getting everything setup as quickly as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom