PADI specialties: how to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't need the bouyancy course, don't do it. I enjoyed my SDI wreck speciality as I'm wreck crazy. It included penetration within the light zone and running lines.

Skip Bouyancy course, if you dont have mayor bouyancy issues..

Deep nitrox and drysuit is all i "need".
You can do night diver, if you didnt do any night dives and want to do it with a pro..
Search and recovery might be good. Didnt took it myself, but heared good stuff about it.

Then just do what makes you happy. I think there is no specialty left, that teaches you necessary skills.

Personally i would like to take fish ID, if there would be more then 5 fish species in the lake i dive :D

I wouldn't suggest peak buoyancy, unless you have problems with that. Altitude diver, if you are planning to dive lakes in the Alps. And ice diving, of course :)

Navagation, Search & Recovery you mentioned, and Ice diver someone mentioned. Altitude you can learn from the section in PADI AOW. If you needed buoyancy training, you would have heard about it in your deep class, nothing more dangerous than bad buoyancy on a deep dive.

If you haven't taken it yet, Rescue.

Underwater Navigator is one that stands out. I really don't use all the stuff I learned there, but that's because my diving is to the same benign shallow shore sites. For varied diving, I think will be a valuable course. The rest are dependent on what type of diving you'll be doing. Take Night if you'll dive then. Wreck if you want to penetrate (but you really need more than the intro. Wreck course, even if there is limited penetration as we did in mine). ICE if you like that sort of thing.
Agree about Rescue, as will most on the Board (though it is not considered a "specialty"). Everyone should take that.
What do you mean by the courses you "have to take"? Are you working toward a goal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom