PADI tables finally going away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most complex and the least reliable. My computer doesn't get narced.

I work with computers for a living. There's tons of stuff I've worked on less reliable than the human brain. Besides, my brain more or less works after two beers. If I drop two beers into one of our cabinets, that would be $40K worth of sparks :wink:

The only reason I would even care if they took tables out of OW classes is that it would set a precedent. It would likely be interpreted as a safety issue by some, and more groups would start adopting policies that all divers doing XYZ need to use a dive computer. I already have to avoid charters with snorkel rules, and solo diving rules. I don't want a computer rule as well (I know they already exist, but aren't widespread yet.)

Tom

PS, if I were an OW student, and was informed enough, I would try to shop around for a class that taught me tables.

I would suggest that more common than PDC errors are pesky human malfunctions. Tables don't "work"... humans do and as I have pointed out, the human brain is easily disrupted.

is this the argument? really?
tables are so hard the human brain can't be trusted to unravel their mysteries? lol

The most complex and the least reliable. My computer doesn't get narced.

You can get narced and laugh off a computer just the same as laughing off a manual method of calculating BT. The key is to pick a gas mix that will minimize the effects of narcosis regardless of what tool you are using to calculate depth and time. Or just avoid diving deep on air if narcosis is a problem.

A computer is not supposed to be a free pass or a designated driver of diving that allows you to get as narced as you want figuring it will do all the work for you and you don't have to think about what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
is this the argument? really?
tables are so hard the human brain can't be trusted to unravel their mysteries? lol
The human brain has limitations, can be easily deceived and is prone to simple mistakes.

The point that knowing how to do something is not the same as knowing how something works is a good point, and it is true that knowing how to do the tables does not equal knowing deco theory. But it puts you a lot farther in that direction than just knowing how to operate the menus on a dive computer.

When I first started diving, PADI tables were still based on the US Navy tables and they included all the times and depths to 130 ft including deco profiles that did not require a stop deeper than 10 ft - for "unintentional" decompression purposes.

A fairly close inspection of the front side of the tables made the point that in the event of a watch or depth gauge failure, or an unintended delay on the bottom where you exceeded the NDL's but did not remember the deco required, a 5 minute "safety" stop would cover the deco required for fairly substantial violations of the NDL's and 7 minutes covered almost all of the reasonable single tank scenarios. Knowing that provided the basis for a fairly solid contingency plan for the era in the event you were unsure of depth, time, etc.

At the same time, I also understood my SAC and the tables well enough to know that on the first dive of the day to depths shallower than 100 ft, I was gas limited and could not exceed the NDL's. Again, that provided contingency options as well as what amounted to a rudimentary multi-level capability.

Or...to put it in really simple terms, that table knowledge allowed me to develop very simple contingency plans that could survive even the most severe human "computer" failures.

I would not have gotten any of that knowledge had I learned to dive a couple years later with, for example, an imaginary instructor or agency who decided that all students needed to know was how to use an Orca Edge.

The human brain has limitations, can be easily deceived and is prone to simple mistakes.

So you admit you are wrong. Close the thread!

Tom

Anybody who has mental limitations, can be easily deceived, and is prone to making simple mistakes probably shouldn't be diving in the first place. However, if you have your **** together and are of good sound body and mind there isn't a problem.

Wow, how did we ever survive diving without computers I'll never know :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom