PADI TecRec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I did hear it said that because of that they didn't expect to make a profit in the tech arena right away. I never heard it suggested that they weren't aiming to make a profit.
...and that would be my guess too. Right now the tech market is pretty small, but I'm sure PADI's going to do their best to blow it wide open, much to the dismay of many next of kin.

Roak

The thing is Roak that they probably won't get many people killed. They'll mess up some sites but most of those will be in the resort locations where all the new tech resorts are going to spring up.

Look at the guided dives in Bakini 170 ft on air and you only have to be AOW. I think they have pretty close to a perfect safety record at least as far as fatalities.

I am a little worried about what'll happen in N. Florida if they decide to tap into the cave market.

If they try using their new shiny tech cards in the Great Lakes or the Missouri caves they'll get an education though. Like all the divers who do 120 ft dives in the Caribbean and then try it at Gilboa in 45 deg cold water.

The other thing is that with all those new trimix diver who need a divemaster running around all the oporators will think that we all need one.

I might be completely wrong but I really feel that PADI is pushing their methods and knowledge with resort diving.

There's already a few instructors around who have become overnight tech instructors. They're selling classes even though they're the joke of the local tech community. The students don't know it of course.

A while ago I was at Haigh when an IE was going on. One of the cert mils that I'm always refering to without using any names had an instructor there taking the DSAT tec rec written exams and he failed them.

The good new is that he actually failed and went home without his ticket. The bad news is that he was there in the first place. BTW, the written tests are just the student exam and a standards exam. It was only the one test at the time so the standards just aren't that extensive and those tests used to be open book and I think still (not certain)are. What I'm getting at is that I think he failed the student exam.

It's like the lady who was at my IE and failed because she couldn't hover. Again the good new is that they failed her. The bad new is that some how she got by a course director and was there in the first place.

Of course they had too many candidates not comming back because you used to have to retake the whole IE if you failed any part so now you only have to retake the part you failed.

cancun mark:
DSAT is new and that is why I didnt teach it for two years after it came out
Yet even you have pointed out multiple problems with the program - even in the first post where you saying how great the material is!
cancun mark:
Perhaps they thought that though there was no shortage of tec agencies, there was a shortage of tec agencies with a dedicated quality assurance and legal department.
LOL!!

MikeFerrara:
Not to be picky but the video is "A Deceptively Easy Way to Die" And as a point of interest it was produced by DSAT.

QUOTE]

I was wondering if anyone would point that out that it was a DSAT video. (my mistake on the title, thanks mike)

So much for DSAT doing their best to "blow it wide open"

This video is designed to scare the pants off anyone thinks of doing this kind of diving without the proper training. It scares me every time I see it and I show it to Every PADI divemaster and instructor I teach.

Im sure Lamar Hires would take exception to being called the joke of the local tec community or an overnight instructor.

cancun mark:
MikeFerrara:
Not to be picky but the video is "A Deceptively Easy Way to Die" And as a point of interest it was produced by DSAT.

I was wondering if anyone would point that out that it was a DSAT video. (my mistake on the title, thanks mike)

So much for DSAT doing their best to "blow it wide open"

This video is designed to scare the pants off anyone thinks of doing this kind of diving without the proper training. It scares me every time I see it and I show it to Every PADI divemaster and instructor I teach.

Im sure Lamar Hires would take exception to being called the joke of the local tec community or an overnight instructor.

Until recently DSAT (now they do training too) took care of PADI technical jobs like tables and video production. They have in the past hired out their services as with this video.
BTW, I show this video to all my students especially OW students

I would love to get an equivalent video for deep diving or tec diving in general.

Does anyone know of one?

cancun mark:
I would love to get an equivalent video for deep diving or tec diving in general.

Does anyone know of one?

I don't know of any.

I show this one and explain that the same holds true for other environments where special equipment or techniques are required.

MHK:
What, if anything then, did the educational materials discuss to address the points raised?

1) I have a copy of the book so would you please point me to the page that discusses overcoming narcosis while breathing air at 165'??

Later

p147 "you account for narcosis in dive planning by limiting you7r dives to appropriate depths based on:

Safety .......... (paragraph continues)

Individual susceptability .......... (paragraph continues)

p165 "gain greater depth experience gradually............be alert for signs and symptoms......check each other for narcosis......the inability to perform simple motor skills.......the prudent step is to head for home.."

p185 Q2
p188 Q10

You asked me to look it up, there it is.

MHK:
1) You shoot the bag after you make the gas switch. Depending on the dive, but more often then not, you shoot the bag from your 70' stop after you switch to your 50% mix. Ideally, anytime you switch to your deco gas you are going to want atleast 3 - 5 minutes on the elevated 02 mix, in the instant case 50%. You want to take advantage of the 02 window so the procedure is to switch to the gas, start your deco time and then shoot the bag.

I'm almost certainly being more than a bit pedantic, however I tend to feel that for a lot of dives if you put up your delayed at 21m, then you are potentially a long way from the original site already, and the boat has more sea to lose you in.
We will tend to put a bag up from around 40m, or if the first deep stop is less than that, then at whatever that is.
One of the reasons for this, is a dive when 'it all went wrong' a couple of years back, where the divers ended up scattered over a couple of miles apart

cancun mark:
p147 "you account for narcosis in dive planning by limiting you7r dives to appropriate depths based on:

Safety .......... (paragraph continues)

Individual susceptability .......... (paragraph continues)

p165 "gain greater depth experience gradually............be alert for signs and symptoms......check each other for narcosis......the inability to perform simple motor skills.......the prudent step is to head for home.."

p185 Q2
p188 Q10

You asked me to look it up, there it is.
#

Oh dear :(
So it quite clearly implies that you will be able to pick up symptoms of narcosis and act on it, when that doesn't ever happen in reality, cos no-one is ever narced on air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom