PADI updates in the last 5 years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fires

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, I hope this is in the right place.

So I have been a PADI OWSI (+5 specialities) Instructor since early 2012. I taught a fair amount throughout that year, then left for an island and taught there for a while. The diving was incredible but the living conditions not great, so I came back to South Africa and continued with other things.

Since then I have been teaching a bit here and there and diving a bit here and there too. I renewed last I think just before the new course structure for Open Water came into effect.

I have spoken to the PADI office as I am considering renewing for next year and teach a bit more again. Not full time as I have another business I want to start, but a fair amount. So haven spoken to the office, I know I need to only do the online presentation to get updated.

So I am sure I will find out then about the updates, but I wanted to check so long.

1. I know OW had a lot of changes, and I have already researched those to be more prepared.
2. What other changes were there? Did the AOW, Rescue and DM stay the same?
3. Any specialties get updated?

Thanks...just curious while I wait to get access to my profile again and get the update.

Looking forward to hopefully teaching a bit more again :)

AOW has changed significantly this year.

AOW has changed significantly this year.

Thanks for the input.

Could you give me a rough overview of the changes please?

Looks like I will have more pricey slates to buy o_O

I didn't buy any pricey slates.

Mostly they chucked some outdated adventure dives (film photography is not popular these days, for example) and added a bunch of new ones. It is a bit more complicated than that, but you can get it all by reading the new instructor manual.

I teach mostly tech classes these days. I taught an AOW recently. For the cases where the dives were different from my old slates, I just took down some blank slates with the new standards written on them in pencil. If I had to do the new classes a lot, I would get new slates, but I won't be dong enough classes to make that investment worthwhile.

seems Padi is trying to promote more E-Learning and online use, that is basically what Padi update will tell, if I were you I would download 2017 Instructor manual from PADI pro site and look thru changes-most were to AOW. But according to a Course Director friend of mine who just completed CD training-PADI is planning on more changes for 2018 so have to wait for next Instructor manual & online update courses.

seems Padi is trying to promote more E-Learning and online use, that is basically what Padi update will tell, if I were you I would download 2017 Instructor manual from PADI pro site and look thru changes-most were to AOW. But according to a Course Director friend of mine who just completed CD training-PADI is planning on more changes for 2018 so have to wait for next Instructor manual & online update courses.

Thanks for the input. I hope the changes aren't too extensive for next year. I have managed to gather some sort of idea of the changes, and I must say, most sound pretty good.

Can anyone send me the 2017 manual so long please? That was also going to be my first port of call, but I need to wait for the renewal before I get access to the pro's site again.

I guess I am jumping the gun, but I like to be prepared, so it would be good to read through it all before hand.

Thanks!

But according to a Course Director friend of mine who just completed CD training-PADI is planning on more changes for 2018 so have to wait for next Instructor manual & online update courses.

I've heard this from a reliable old source as well. Significant updates coming. To be fair there are always updates...

@Fires easiest way to get the '17 manual from an unofficial channel is to google "padi manual 2017". The document is in pdf format in the first result.

I've heard this from a reliable old source as well. Significant updates coming. To be fair there are always updates...

@Fires easiest way to get the '17 manual from an unofficial channel is to google "padi manual 2017". The document is in pdf format in the first result.
Thank you very much, SORTED as we say :)

Sounds so sketchy trying to get a manual through back channels...and meanwhile I am trying to be a good instructor and prepare before I get renewed :)

Thank you very much, SORTED as we say :)

Sounds so sketchy trying to get a manual through back channels...and meanwhile I am trying to be a good instructor and prepare before I get renewed :)

... I hear you. Read the CD manual and instructor manuals in the shop where I was doing my rescue diver class.... I like knowing what's happening behind the curtain. Willing to support your idea but not enough to email you the pdf myself? Aiding and abetting? Ah well, welcome back to teaching.

As a side note: had my instructor at the time tell me there was nothing of interest in there that I would be able to understand.... Coincidentally, I turned out to be their second to last student before they closed shop.... I didn't have a hand in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom