PADI VS NAUI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heathe01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I recently earned my Rescue Certification from PADI. I am relocating to the Ft. Myers, FL area with in the next two years. I am going to complete my Dive Master training next summer here in Wisconsin through PADI, then I will move on to instructor training when I get to Florida. When looking for possible employment in the Ft Myers area, I have noticed there is a mix of NAUI vs Padi dive centers.

My questions are:

What it would take to get both PADI and NAUI instructor certified? I heard that if you are a PADI instructor that you can simply pay a fee to get your NAUI instructor certification too? That seems inaccurate when I read the other posts regarding PADI vs NAUI, there seems to be too many curriculum differences for that. Yes?

Which is the most desired agency in the Ft Myers area PADI or NAUI?

Also, I notice when reading the other posts, that there are several other agencies other than PADI and NAUI? What are these?

I am new to ScubaBoard, so bear with me and all the questions. :blush: I am unsure how many you are allowed in one post. I am thrilled to have veteran divers to discuss these things with.

Thank you.

Heather

I'll just answer one question. You will certainly have to do more than pay a fee to get a NAUI Inst rating.

Once you get certified as an instructor through one agency most other agencies will offer a "Crossover" instructor course. The length, costs, etc. of those courses can vary greatly.

Your best bet would be to locate a shop that you want to work with and go through the instructor program for the agency they prefer.

As far a differences between the agencies- TONS of info here, just have to start reading and understand that many instructors will be VERY vocal in support of their agency/agencies, and remember that a lot of what is offered up here is opinion.

I know the one shop's here in Ft Myers is NAUI if I remember correctly. Its called Capt Petes. Im going to go check them out tomorrow about getting OW done.

I moved down from MN last year, and the job market here is terrible, was 2nd worst in the country. Not to scare you, but it's hard to find work down here. Just a little FYI.

Hi Heather,

A long time ago I earned my certification as a NAUI Instructor, then moved to the PADI hotbed of Canada at the time - the West Coast. When I arrived there, the first thing I did was take a PADI crossover. It was a weekend of skills evaluation in the pool as well as in the open water and a few exams - if I remember correctly. I would assume that to get your NAUI Instructor cert, it would be at least that. It is very unlikely that NAUI would give you an Instructors cert simply in exchange for dues.

I know this wasn't included in your questions, but you may want to think about making yourself more marketable in terms of getting a job in the dive industry by gaining some additional certs - I had taken a VIP Inspectors course and was also certified to teach a bunch of specialty courses. I also had a bunch of retail experience and had taken an equipment servicing course with one of the major lines of gear the shop was selling. I also had boat handling experience and lots of tank filling experience.

Lastly, I'm not sure what other cert agencies there are in Florida, but a little research should should answer that one quite easily.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with your DM course.

Lee
NAUI #7908

heathe01:
What it would take to get both PADI and NAUI instructor certified?

Take instructor courses from both PADI and NAUI. One of them will be a crossover.

I heard that if you are a PADI instructor that you can simply pay a fee to get your NAUI instructor certification too?

You heard incorrectly.

heathe01:
Which is the most desired agency in the Ft Myers area PADI or NAUI?

I answered this question last night in your other thread on the same topic. It's frowned upon to start two threads on the same topic. I know you thought of some more questions, but they should have either been in a separate thread withjout repeating the first question or in later posts in the same thread. Your answer again:

Capt. Pete's Discount Scuba
4391 Colonial Blvd., STE 123
Ft. Myers, FL 33966
(239) 337-9564

Captain Pete's offers both NAUI and SDI classes.

Dean's Dive Center
15200 S. Tamiami Trail
Suite 103
Ft. Myers, FL 33908
(239) 489-0500

Dean's is a PADI 5 star facility and as such only offers PADI classes.

SCUBA Quest
37 Del Prado Blvd N.
Cape Coral, FL 33909
(239) 458-1999

There are several SCUBA Quest stores around the state. They are all exclusively NAUI.

Underwater Explorers Diving Center
12600 McGregor Blvd.
Ft. Myers, FL 33919
(239) 481-4733

Underwater Explorers teaches through NAUI.

heathe01:
Also, I notice when reading the other posts, that there are several other agencies other than PADI and NAUI? What are these?

I really like SEI Diving, but the others can be found here.

heathe01:
I am new to ScubaBoard, so bear with me and all the questions. I am unsure how many you are allowed in one post. I am thrilled to have veteran divers to discuss these things with.

Ask away, but try to keep all questions in a single post related. These are all related.

When I took my NAUI instructor's course there was another fellow in the class who was crossing over from PADI. He had to do the entire course ... no different than I did coming into it from being a NAUI DM.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dean's is a PADI 5 star facility and as such only offers PADI classes.

Pedantic point: PADI facilities, even 5-Star one's, may offer courses from other agencies provided that PADI has no equivalent course. I don't know if Dean's does or not, just wanted to add a bit of clarification.

In line with that, PADI can be very touchy about what "equivalent" means.

TC:
Once you get certified as an instructor through one agency most other agencies will offer a "Crossover" instructor course. The length, costs, etc. of those courses can vary greatly.

Your best bet would be to locate a shop that you want to work with and go through the instructor program for the agency they prefer.

As far a differences between the agencies- TONS of info here, just have to start reading and understand that many instructors will be VERY vocal in support of their agency/agencies, and remember that a lot of what is offered up here is opinion.

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. Do you know how I can find out more information on the "crossover" instructor course? Thank you for your time! Heather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom