Padi Vs. Naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certification from any recognized agency should be accepted by any dive shop. This includes : NAUI, PADI, YMCA, SSI, BSAC, etc. They are all members of DEMA and all have the same minimal training standards. In fact, there is even a program in place where you can do classroom training with one instructor and one agency, and then do your dives as a referral student with another instructor, in another location, from another agency. If someone has told you otherwise, they are full of crap. If you are hearing this from a shop, they are trying to make more money.

Actually, membership in DEMA may or may not have anything to do with certification acceptance.

Recreational Scuba Training Council membership has more to do with training standards.

Check out this link:

http://www.wrstc.com/agency.php?country=usa

Hope this helps.

C_C

sorry, i thought they were part of DEMA, my bad on the terminology. End result is the same, though.

"all have the same minimal training standards."

A more accurate statement is members of RSTC all meet or exceed minimum standards. They do not have the same standards. All agencies are not members of RSTC. Many agencies who are not members of RSTC are still regognized world wide. NAUI, for example, is not a member of RSTC, but is is recognized around world and c-cards issued by it are as readily accepted as any other agency's.

Actually I believe all of the agencies listed in this thread exceed the Recreational Scuba Training Council's minimum standards ... for the record.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Actually I believe all of the agencies listed in this thread exceed the Recreational Scuba Training Council's minimum standards ... for the record.
It depends which specific standards are being referred to. They cover a wide range. For instance, the RTSC lowered the minimum age for divers to 8. PADI and SSI will certify kiddie divers but NAUI and YMCA are sticking to the 12 year minimum.

In that respect, PADI and SSI do not exceed the minimum standards, even if they might in other areas.

It depends which specific standards are being referred to. They cover a wide range. For instance, the RTSC lowered the minimum age for divers to 8. PADI and SSI will certify kiddie divers but NAUI and YMCA are sticking to the 12 year minimum.

In that respect, PADI and SSI do not exceed the minimum standards, even if they might in other areas.

Actually SSI requires the child to be at least 10 years old for Junior Diver certification. So they DO exceed the RSTC minimum standards. Scuba Rangers are from 8 to 12. Scuba Rangers is a "pool only" program.

I only know of certain boats that will not honor PADI or SSI cards signed by certain Instructors. There is one local Instructor who is a complete menace. He does very little training and just gives them a card. They show up at the boat with no skills and expect to dive, which is not going to happen around here.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I only know of certain boats that will not honor PADI or SSI cards signed by certain Instructors. There is one local Instructor who is a complete menace. He does very little training and just gives them a card. They show up at the boat with no skills and expect to dive, which is not going to happen around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom