PADI vs other cert agencies? Pricing differences cert agency vs dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Many of you I'm certain have experienced this: I'm still fairly new to diving, have my OW and AOW through PADI. A friend recently got certified through TSI and paid considerably less that I did for each cert. They covered the same material.

I am noticing more and more how PADI "overcharges" for certs, however is it dependent on the cert agency, dive shop or a combination of both?

I am heading to FL in December and the dive shop offers Nitrox cert through PADI for $139 + $25 dvd rental (which I get back when I get to the shop, return the dvd and take a 1 hour class). Only thing extra I pay is shipping and handling.

Agency here in NY that I got OW and AOW certified asked for $250 for Nitrox cert, NOT including material.

TSI agency asked for $100 + $30 for the materials for Nitrox class.

So, is it the agency, the cert company or a combo of both? Guess I have to shop around to get the best prices? (Rescue diver is next)

PADI charges the Instructor/Shop for the materials the Instructor/Shop sells to the students. That also includes the charges for the Certification.

How the Instructor/Shop chooses to mark those up has nothing to do with PADI.

After the Instructor/Shop purchases the materials, how much profit (or loss) they make is up to them. Obviously it is in PADI's interest that the Instructor/Shop make a profit.

So, is it the agency, the cert company or a combo of both? Guess I have to shop around to get the best prices? (Rescue diver is next)

None of the above. It's really about the instructor. A really good instructor brings tons of experience and knowledge which enriches any course and set a higher bar than just the minimum standards regardless of the price. Many good instructors teach under several agencies.

TSI ? Never heard of them, and I try to stay aware of scuba certifying agencies (see agencies link in my signature).

Could you double-check the name of the agency? If it's not a typo, the certifications might not be recognized, and that could be a reason it seems cheaper.

TSI ? Never heard of them, and I try to stay aware of scuba certifying agencies (see agencies link in my signature).

Could you double-check the name of the agency? If it's not a typo, the certifications might not be recognized, and that could be a reason it seems cheaper.
poster probably meant tdi s and d are right next to each other on keyboard. the instructor is the key to quality dive education not the agency

SDI, sorry. Typo

The instructors in this higher-priced dive shop are very good, but of course they have to charge what the owner says. I think $250+ materials for Nitrox course certified by PADI is absurd, considering I can get it for way less at another shop, same cert agency. I read reviews on this other shop I'm going to, excellent reviews all the way (course teachings, customer service, boat and dive experience, etc)

SDI I was told I can use mixed with PADI on other threads. It was another option but...if I can keep my certs under 1 or 2 agencies, I'd prefer to do that.

PADI have a policy that all students must have their own copy of course manuals to take away after training. In short, you have to buy the book. Other agencies don't insist on that, so it allows dive shops to loan books for the duration....cheaper.

Also consider the cost of those books. PADI manuals are published to a high quality... printing, binding etc.

Beyond that, PADI have various benefits like a globally accessible database of qualifications, social media apps, online training. Some other agencies have those, but not all.

With regards to dive centers and/or instructors... there are many factors that determine cost. Often those factors are linked to quality.
-Boat dives vs shore dives
-30 min dives vs 50 min dives
-Instructors with decades experience vs teenagers who qualified to teach the previous week.
-Well maintained equipment vs decrepit junk
-Quality audio-visual in an air-con classroom vs notes scribbled on a hotter pad, sat on a crate..
-Proper O2, first aid, AED vs 'oops, we forgot that today'.

The list goes on...

What makes me chuckle is to identify the cheapest option and consider everything beyond that as "overcharging"...

Don't for a second think that dive centers are rolling in money.... It's an industry sustained by passion. We'd all earn more money working in McDonald's, to be honest..

It really is all about the instructor. HOWEVER,
the economics for the instructor differ between agencies. For example, PADI Nitrox materials simply cost the shop more than SDI materials. Are both nitrox materials good? sure. As an instructor why should i pay more?? That's why i teach SDI - TDI nitrox classes.

PADI have a policy that all students must have their own copy of course manuals to take away after training. In short, you have to buy the book. Other agencies don't insist on that, so it allows dive shops to loan books for the duration....cheaper.

Also consider the cost of those books. PADI manuals are published to a high quality... printing, binding etc.

Beyond that, PADI have various benefits like a globally accessible database of qualifications, social media apps, online training. Some other agencies have those, but not all.

With regards to dive centers and/or instructors... there are many factors that determine cost. Often those factors are linked to quality.
-Boat dives vs shore dives
-30 min dives vs 50 min dives
-Instructors with decades experience vs teenagers who qualified to teach the previous week.
-Well maintained equipment vs decrepit junk
-Quality audio-visual in an air-con classroom vs notes scribbled on a hotter pad, sat on a crate..
-Proper O2, first aid, AED vs 'oops, we forgot that today'.

The list goes on...

What makes me chuckle is to identify the cheapest option and consider everything beyond that as "overcharging"...

Don't for a second think that dive centers are rolling in money.... It's an industry sustained by passion. We'd all earn more money working in McDonald's, to be honest..

Not stating that SDI being the cheapest option is the better choice, and the 2 PADI shops are overcharging.....I'm comparing 2 PADI shops, one charging 139, the other charging 250....not too small of a difference IMO, I've read glowing reviews on the one in FL I'm heading to, and I have personal experience with the more expensive one.

Ultimately it's up to the consumer which route they want to go....I don't work (obviously) in this industry however I thoroughly enjoy it and am learning a lot day by day.

I agree that $250 for a nitrox certification class is absurd. There's no real skill involved, just knowledge and the ability to use a very simple analyzer. One could very easily and thoroughly "learn" how to dive with recreational nitrox from a booklet or website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom