PADI vs SEI AOW Curriculum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MKrauter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there a large difference between the two? The instructor whom I took my OW with is SEI, however it's been difficult trying to organize a time to do the AOW with him. A LDS thats closer, which is PADI is doing theirs in two weeks. I know it comes down to the instructor, but will I be missing anything or going backwards in my training going from the SEI AOW to the PADI AOW? Right off the bat I know my SEI instructor will only certify you as AOW after 10 dives instead of the normal 5.

Is there a large difference between the two?
Right off the bat I know my SEI instructor will only certify you as AOW after 10 dives instead of the normal 5.

Without knowing first-hand the set curriculum of the individual instructor's AOW course, I would say that yes, there is a large difference. PADI sets a foundation of 'experiences' in the AOW course and a good instructor will expand on that.

Only if the PADI instructor works above the minimum bar set in low-cost places like Honduras, SE Asia etc. will it be similar. Otherwise 10 training dives beats 5 any day.

The PADI AOW class is highly dependent on the instructor. I don't know any PADI instructors in your area to recommend, but I WOULD highly recommend contacting James Mott (jm@unifiedteamdiving.com) who will either provide a top-rate AOW class, or be able to recommend someone who can do it.

I believe any training you can get is good but I often think of it in terms of "cost benefit". I may be straying from a direct answer to the original question. AOW has some benefit as it is education. However, I often wonder why people jump right into after their 4 open water divers. Is ti because it is "sold" to them (sales pressure) or is it because of ego (I get to say I am an advanced diver/though not true). I would suspect rarely is it because people wnat to immediately further their theoretical knowledge.

My opinion, why don't people use their AOW money to dive for awhile and once they have 25 dives or so they are in a better position to evaluate:
1. Do I really enjoy it?
2. How often will I do it?
3. In what type of environments will I feel confortable doing it?
4. Will I actually need further training for those environment?
5. How much farther will I take diving in my life based on what I know now.

AOW is not bad, but is does take money out of your pocket. PADI ( believe) makes AOW an absolute requirement for Rescue. I think that everyone on SB will rate Rescue as an extremely good course to take but there will be much debate on cost benefit of AOW ( and don't even mention the term "advanced")

Also, a key point here is that AOW dives are not speciality certifications but just intros to those specialities. So I beleive that AOW dives so not count as specialies to go to DM etc.

I am certified OW at nearly 100 dive in all types environments. My plan, and remember this is my personal dive route, is not to do AOW. Many reputable agencies(SEI included I beleive) will allow Rescue from OW with the requisited dives. My overall plan now that I have a fair bit of experence.... Skip AOW and use the money to dive more. Do the Rescue Course through SDI (about right now). Over the next 100 dives, do the actual specialties for the specific type of dives I like to do (Deep, Nitrox, Nav, Wreck). Then at 200 to 300 dives DM + job retirement.

What I get from this.

1. Cost benefit to training - no redundancies that are paid for
2. A traniing plan that meets my dive life goals
3. Timely training - course are so nice when you have expereince to understand the theory you are leaning
4. Dive experience. I am not calling myself advanced, rescue or DM to other divers and then looking dumb when I dive with them

Basically, dive until you figure out how you want to dive, then tailor the training to get there without wasting money that could be spent on experience.

Finally DISCLAIMER...this is in no way a knock on AOW...if money was no object to me, I'd have it.

I will get more into this later as I have an SDI Wreck classroom session to get ready for. But as one of the authors and editors of the SEI Advanced Level courses I can tell you there is a difference and if your instructor is offering the ten dive Advanced Level 3 course, go for it. There will be material in there not covered until DM with some agencies and some that others will not address until tech training. So yeah. Big difference.

A lot of people coming out of OW don't have a good level of confidence diving independently, and would like a mentor figure present when they push their fledgling boundaries - such as diving between 60 & 100 feet, etc...

On the issue of 'spend the money on diving rather than a course,' the AOW course will include diving. And the money issue only matters if you are money-limited on diving to the point that taking the course will knock you out of a dive trip.

I'd say take the course, if you're reasonably confident you will continue in this hobby.

A number of charter boats require AOW for some of their dives, it's said, or something similar, so they have less perceived liability risk for taking divers on those dives. And a lot of Caribbean dives are over 60 feet deep.

So I'd plan to either get AOW, Deep or both done. And yes, Rescue is a fine course to pursue.

I can tell you there is a difference and if your instructor is offering the ten dive Advanced Level 3 course, go for it.
And if it is not the Level 3 course? What if it is Level 2 or Level 1? I don't know SEI's education tree so I'm asking.

Just a few things to consider. What diving path do you want to pursue? Is either class going to help you with knowledge and experience you can use? Are you ready for this class now, some people benefit from taking a structured class others do not, only you can answer for yourself. As to 5 dives vs 10, I would rather see you do 5 dives that expand on your knowledge over 10 dives that just reinforce bad habits you may have started to acquire. No one can know that, but you and the instructor. Either way do what is best for you.

AOW is not bad, but is does take money out of your pocket. PADI ( believe) makes AOW an absolute requirement for Rescue.
Slight clarification. PADI requires Adventure Diver (three dives) and one of those dives must be navigation.
Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water.

Last edited:
Slight clarification. PADI requires Adventure Diver (two dives) and one of those dives must be navigation.
Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water.

Slight clarification. Adventure Diver requires three​ dives.

Back
Top Bottom