PADI Wreck Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,
Like many others in this thread, I value your experience, opinions, and advice. I think the conversation is a good one, but I wanted to ensure that the focus was not lost and that Diver Mike (A Future Passionate Wreck Diver) could be pointed in the right direction.

I think a new thread discussing more technical experiences and training around Wreck diving would be a great discussion. The nature of this thread “Technical Diving Specialties” implies deeper conversation then intro-classes.

I for one would love to see specifics about particular Wrecks folks have dived; mix, vis, bottom time, deco tables, things to look for and look out for, TTP’s that work and those that don’t.

We are all passionate about our training and experiences that’s why we like Scuba Board.

I as just re-reading and see a little confusion. My first post was for Diver Mike and second post to AUE-Mike. To many Mike's sorry if I sounded harsh.

That’s part of the allure of the sunken ship –the history, the moments leading up to its demise, the fate of the crew & passengers. For example, two of the most historically significant wrecks of WWII lie off of Kuantan (east coast Malaysian Peninsula), the HMS Prince of Wales and the HMS Repulse --the sinking of which by Japanese aerial delivered torpedoes ended the era of the Battleship as the capital ship of war, and symbolically signaled the end of the British Empire in South East Asia –absolutely fascinating stuff to a WWII Pacific Theater Buff like me. (Excellent book here AUE-Mike:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1844150755/026-9973252-0667636?v=glance&n=266239 ).

What sobered me up though was taking a comprehensive Wreck Penetration Diving Course with an Instructor who has experience diving the Repulse and other wrecks in similar remote locations (Andrew Georgitsis of 5thd-X who found the way to the Engine Room of the Repulse) –ironically it was this training that wisely kept me out of that Wreck (170fsw deep, almost entirely capsized), electing to do only DPV dives & external surveys around the site instead. . .

Here's the bottom line: many wrecks lay in waters deeper than the recreational limits of 130ft, so having technical diving training is a must, not a PADI vs TDI thing.

I purchased the PADI Wreck Diver Specialty pack (manual & video) and it confirmed my argument that people don't just want to look at the wreck, their natural curiousity (and show-off/impress nature) draws them to explore inside. Unfortuneately we still have some tools in the shed that aren't so sharpe, and they don't THINK about what kind of dangers might exist inside a wreck (unstable structure, silting, SHARK) but they can learn the basics from the course (PADI Wreck)

And about my cavern, I would never enter any kind of dive site like a wreck without someone who has dived it before and knows it - regardless of my training. I don't think, "oh I'm cavern certified, I'll just enter this because I know how to dive over head environments." ONE, I understand the differences between caverns and wrecks, but don't think caverns are less unstable- some are very unstable, as much as any wreck in the ocean. TWO, I only mentioned my Cavern cert because it did prepare me to think beyond the recreational dive- the planning of it, the execution of it, and the enjoyment of it.

Will I take the PADI Wreck Specialty? I have the books/video - but for parctical purposes I may have to just go Tec, in which case it's TDI. I will have a better chance at getting a job with NOAA or the National Park Services if I'm advanced Tec, but I'd prefer to get hired first and let the company pay for the training!

PADI Wreck Specialty most certainly does allow for penetration. I have always covered redundancy, equipment, line-handling and penetration. I have never certified a Wreck diver without a penetration into a wreck. Some people may be cash grabbers but I make sure my students get their money's worth. That's how you get repeat business. Additionally, the instructor is the important factor, not the agency. I also resent the implication that PADI instructors are mindless robots.

I just signed up for the PADI Wreck Class. I have a pool session on august the 8th, and the boat dives the 19th and 20th. I've been told that the instructor can be very dry, so I will let everyone know how my class went.

Also, I will be diving down in wreck alley, San Diego. Should i bring doubles, or just use the al80's that the boat provides? Im not an air sucker, but im assuming that my buddies will be.

Jorbar1551:
I just signed up for the PADI Wreck Class. I have a pool session on august the 8th, and the boat dives the 19th and 20th. I've been told that the instructor can be very dry, so I will let everyone know how my class went.

Also, I will be diving down in wreck alley, San Diego. Should i bring doubles, or just use the al80's that the boat provides? Im not an air sucker, but im assuming that my buddies will be.
Always use Doubles, especially on Wreck Penetrations.
You can get Nitrox and Trimix fills here in San Diego:
http://www.sduadivers.com/equipment.html

I'm having the pool session tonight. I thiink we have to swim through some hoola hoops or something.

I hope people are still looking at this thread. So i had my first pool session. everything went fine, and was kinda boring. We worked with the reel and that was about it. They told us to work on the modified frog kick, but the instructor never really helped us out or anything. They just had us go around and lay line, and after we were done, we reeled it back in. I asked the instructor if i should bring my doubles down to dive the yukon and ruby e. he said he would like me to dive singles just like everyone else in the class. Im pretty good with my air consumption, but the other guy had 2300 psi left in his tank after our pool dive, when i had 2750 left. The instructor then said that he was worried about the 7 foot primary hose and the backup bungied around my neck. He thought it was going to get caught and get cut in the wreck.

ooo, good times. to get the wreck specialty, you have to do 4 dives. we are doing it over two days. Sport Chalet corporate had the responsibility to charter the boat for both days, and the class has been scheduled for about 3 months now. Well we find out last week that SC chartered the boat on sunday, but they couldnt on saturday. the boat dives are next weekend, and i bought two plane tickets that arent refundable. oooh good times.

Jorbar1551:
he said he would like me to dive singles just like everyone else in the class.

The instructor then said that he was worried about the 7 foot primary hose and the backup bungied around my neck. He thought it was going to get caught and get cut in the wreck.

These are not good signs, Jobar. :shakehead

Back
Top Bottom