PADI's new Discover Nitrox cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ooo hot topic.
I truly believe in one step at a time. Nitrox may not seem daunting to most divers, but as some of you have mentioned, when you are dealing with the psychological issues of simply breathing underwater, let alone controlling buoyancy and mask clearing, I don't think there is any need for a further challenge. Some people take to the water like fish, have gills n everything, but some need to start a little slower and I remember in my course, one guy had difficulties using the basic tables. Another had initial buyancy problems, never a good thing on Nitrox. Both guys, however went on to become decent divers. As we all know, oxygen is a less forgiving gas, so you don't want to lessen the room for error, when you are working with divers who are still finding their fins. They need to be in a position where there are as few issues to worry about as possible.
Having said all that, I do recall someone who really should have known better saying to me, and I quote: "Nitrox! You don't want to be doing that deep stuff at Advanced Open Water level, learn to dive first or you'll get yourself killed!" Even when I pointed out that he may have got nitrox mixed up with trimix, he was adamant. I was stunned! I'd been planning to volunteer for his conservation group but after that conversation, swiftly changed my plans! I have since noticed that his web-site no longer exists… anyway, I digress. Yes I can see that PADI look like they are fishing for more cash, and maybe so, but "discover nitrox" aside, I do feel that the pace of training needs to work for your average person, and the basic OW course should and does take this into account. People can then progress on to more advanced stuff at whatever rate they choose.

neil:
0-60 is quite a range. If I were doing a day of repetitive dives to 50-60 ft., I'd be using Nitrox.
I would too. However, I'd like to see someone spend more time on quality assurance before they worried about adding more topics.

People have been doing this for years already. Just like Walter said You can fill a tank show your instructor card and let the people dive. I also don't see why this could not be part of any OW program. I touch a good portion of my OW class talking about gas concentration partial pressures. Enriched Air has benefits for a 60 foot dive and it's not the Voodoo gas. This program of PADI's is just a way of marketing the class. Enriched Air just happens to be one of the most saught after specialties of any agency

Ok, lets get back on topic. Question is "is padis discover nitrox" worth anything. Answer is no to advanced divers, becuase we all have full nitrox already, and we are smart enough to have figured out on our own without "discovery." Someone made a great point about resort divers though. This is an attempt to "legalize" what capts do already, which is giving customers nitrox, and holding their hand.

A nitrox instructor has to have the right to take non nitrox certified divers on nitrox or he couldn't teach nitrox. It is not an attempt to "legalize" anything. It's already "legal" ever withing the limits of how you are using the word.

True, but it is not clear from the PADI material whether you have to be a nitrox instructor to give this discover nitrox course (although I assume so). The open water portions can be conducted by divemaster and above.

My guess is that this course has been created in response to demand by resort operators who want to be able to give divers nitrox without them having to do the full nitrox course, which is fair enough.

Walter:
A nitrox instructor has to have the right to take non nitrox certified divers on nitrox or he couldn't teach nitrox. It is not an attempt to "legalize" anything. It's already "legal" ever withing the limits of how you are using the word.

Back
Top Bottom