Palau last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint....spoken from the perspective of a person who is rarely if ever is afflected with seasickness...LOL

robint....spoken from the perspective of a person who is rarely if ever is afflected with seasickness...LOL

absolutely! I decided years ago that I was not going to limit my scuba adventures by seasickness, so I don't. I make sure I am well hydrated, I don't drink alcohol the night before (except maybe 1 beer), and I have a positive attitude. I have only gotten seasick twice - the first time from sitting on a small rocking boat waiting on one rude diver for 15 minutes with no sunshade and diesel fumes in my face. Almost everyone on boat was sick from it so I didn't feel bad. The next time was on a liveaboard, heading into an ugly storm and at least half the boat got sick that time too.... not much you could do about it, the boat was tossing and turning for hours. Other than that, I always make sure that is the boat is rocking, I engage myself in gear setup or chatting with others. It works.

Robin....you are too funny....believe it or not everyone's inner ears are different and I do not spend 5K to 15K going on the trips that I plan and have a negative attitude, drink alcohol or not make sure I am keeping well hydrated. Everybody is different and seasickness does happen to people and to me:depressed:....but I endeavor to pursue!:D

Robin....you are too funny....believe it or not everyone's inner ears are different and I do not spend 5K to 15K going on the trips that I plan and have a negative attitude, drink alcohol or not make sure I am keeping well hydrated. Everybody is different and seasickness does happen to people and to me:depressed:....but I endeavor to pursue!:D

I have a friend with the same attitude. He is so sure he will get seasick that he does, whether the boat is rocking or not. He has never been on a boat when he didn't get seasick and is sure that he will always be seasick on every dive boat. He throws up between dives no matter where he goes, no matter what the water conditions are, he gets sick! Is he really sick, yes. I know he is seasick. Do I think he could prevent it. Yes, I do. I think he works himself up and does everything he shouldn't do.... as soon as he gets onboard he feels the boat move slightly and the whole process starts. He doesn't try to keep busy and forget about it, he doesn't stare at the horizon, he doesn't stay out in open air (he likes to go downstairs if there is one, out of the fresh air, and close his eyes.... all the wrong thing to do!) It doesn't stop him from going on trips, but it is a downer if you are on a boat with him. He is like a different person. :shakehead:

Many people are like my friend. They are so sure they will get seasick that they do. Yes, the inner ear is the trigger, but most people don't get seasick unless the water is rough and the boat is rocking for a time period of more than a few minutes. Those of you who insist that you can get "seasick walking in the rain" need to think about all the preventions and what you can do to help yourself out. It can get better for you.

apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread discussing Palau.

robin:D

Your funny....again your opinion....too many assumptions about people who do get seasick, based on your friend....unless you are an MD?

this is getting way off the original thread topic. But I would say while I don't ever get seasick, I would never make any assumptions about people that do. What you say may be true on occasion, but in general I'm pretty sure divers who get seasick really don't want to and are highly motivated to deal with it and not be sick.

(Actually, I have been seasick - in an Omni theater. Turns out while real motion doesn't bother me, fake motion does. Given that I don't get seasick I hardly went into that with a preconception that I would, yet I still got sick. Imagine that.)

Only time I got seasick was on a rocking fishing boat headed 20 miles out while sitting in the sun and enduring the smell of bologna sandwiches, dead fish, and diesel fumes. If I avoid those "triggers", I'm fine.

I can relate to your friends....and I have never really mined that 1 hr boat ride.

Did you have a chance to go to Kramers, Taj, Dragon Tai etc?

Yes, we went to all of them based on your recommendation. Kramers: a dump yet the food was very good, large portions, excellent service at a very fair price; Taj: very good Indian Restaurant with nice traditional decor, excellent service and very good food. Dragon Tai: fairly good food, a bit odd of a restaurant very uncomfortable traditional floor seating especially for us middle aged, gutted white guys. We liked it but did not love the place. Basically overrated in my book. Food at the PPR, our hotel, was excellent too though a bit pricey... as expected. We were impressed with the choices to be had on Palau and the overall value one received for our devalued buck.

Garv

Back to the OP:
Was the shop more run-down than would be expected in tropical climes with high salinity? I was just wondering what kind of dive boats you are used to. A lot of the conditions you describe are what I'm used to in tropical diving. I ask because I will be on that same boat in just three short weeks!
How many divers were typically on a boat? Do I understand correctly that you set your own tanks for the second dive? What is the feasibility of facing backwards and/or wearing a rain poncho or boat jacket? Were the crew amenable to helping you out to stand up, etc?

From what I understand Palau is pretty sheltered so rough seas are actually pretty infrequent. I often understand incorrectly, however, so if any Palau veterans would like to straighten me out I'd be much obliged. I'd rather not take meds if I don't really have to. Soggy food sounds pretty bad, I guess I'll bring some boat snacks as I usually do.
What sites did you dive? How were they different? Which did you like or dislike and why? Can we please get some more info on the diving? What kind of visibilty, etc?

Thnx for the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom