Palau last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your friends are so prone to sea-sickness maybe they should take up a new sport like golf.... :)

I was there with Fred Garvin and I don't agree with many things he said. The more I think about my Palau dives the more I think how great they were. The boat rides were beautiful going between all the islands. The walls were great. The shallow dives had solid corral for over half a mile of drift. Yes, the boats didn't have padded seats but who does. They didn't set up my equipment but most places don't. When my reg and then pressure gage had problems they were very nice about fixing it right then before the boat left. Yes cars were waiting there but they were only started to take you back to the hotel whenever you wanted. The people on the island were so friendly and we had some good meals at the restaurants mentioned about. I liked the hotel PPR alot. I don't know if Palau is orders of magnitude above the others, but it is definitely in my top 5 and I have been to some great places. Happy 50th Garvin

scuba stan....I've been to quite a few places and been to Palau 8 times and going again in March. Palau is my number 2 favorite place right behind the Papua area of Raja Ampat.

I was there with Fred Garvin and I don't agree with many things he said. The more I think about my Palau dives the more I think how great they were. The boat rides were beautiful going between all the islands. The walls were great. The shallow dives had solid corral for over half a mile of drift. Yes, the boats didn't have padded seats but who does. They didn't set up my equipment but most places don't. When my reg and then pressure gage had problems they were very nice about fixing it right then before the boat left. Yes cars were waiting there but they were only started to take you back to the hotel whenever you wanted. The people on the island were so friendly and we had some good meals at the restaurants mentioned about. I liked the hotel PPR alot. I don't know if Palau is orders of magnitude above the others, but it is definitely in my top 5 and I have been to some great places. Happy 50th Garvin

Dear Scuba Stan,

I do believe that if one carefully and thoughtfully reviews my posts, one would find that I indeed enjoyed the trip and was simply pointing out some of the weaknesses I personally noted, areas I felt could be improved, much like a critic in any sphere of life. Who could deny the beauty of the islands, the rush of anticipation as our motorized sea chariots whisked us off to the splendor of a Paluan dive site.

I never expected the dive master nor captain to set up my scuba gear, in fact it is my personal policy not to allow anyone ever to set up my gear. I never commented on this concern on my O.P. so I do not know what your statement addresses. As for their effort to assist you with your broken gear, I say "bravo!" and I hope you tipped them well. I never said they were not professional nor helpful. I simply felt they could have been even more so without awaiting a request. The taxis and small transport vans did back up to Sam's facility to park. They did belch noxious exhaust near the filling station. You would not be pleased if you saw the same black exhaust smoke near the air intake for your patients' anesthesia gas would you? I would recommend the taxis/transports be parked further from the filling station and to limit the direct belching of exhaust fumes, not back up to the covered waiting area but rather pull directly in. I really liked the PPR. But if one was expecting a real fancy schmancy experience beginning with the rooms, one would be disappointed. The hotel grounds, facilities and lobby were very nice. Service was always prompt and with a smile. I never complained about the Palau natives, they were terrific, and many of our meals were very good at other restaurants too. I did say I would recommend both Sams and PPR but I still stand firm on some of my comments and - what I regard as - constructive criticism. It is how I see things... not necessarily through your eyes. It was a great trip with my best friends for my 50th so thanks for the memories!!

You are the MAN!

Best to the family,

Garv

Wow, fun to hear everyone's different impressions of Palau. Last November, I did kind of "all of the above."

I dove with Fish N Fins for three days, a week aboard the Aggressor and then a week at Manta Ray Bay in Yap.

I think Palau is one of those destinations that really lends itself towards a liveaboard. The dive sites are spread out and on a small boat the rides can get long. I can't see how anyone could get seasick aboard the Aggressor. It stays inside the coral reef so it isn't subject to swells. I never noticed it rocking at all. To really get the most of a trip to Palau, you really do need to be on a liveaboard. You'll do more diving and be more rested. If you divide the cost out per tank, the liveaboard actually comes out cheaper.

Fish N Fins did an excellent job and I'd dive with them again. Food was good and their DMs were excellent. I honestly can't think of anything I'd change about their operation.

I found the diving in Yap to be just as thrilling. Not so many sharks and all but terrific visibility. The coral was gorgeous and we saw several large Manta Rays. Again, I can't think of anything I'd change there. They did a superb job.

Off to Cocoview in May, Cozumel in August, and then Bali/Sulawesi in October!

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom