Palau last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the OP:
Was the shop more run-down than would be expected in tropical climes with high salinity? I was just wondering what kind of dive boats you are used to. A lot of the conditions you describe are what I'm used to in tropical diving. I ask because I will be on that same boat in just three short weeks!
How many divers were typically on a boat? Do I understand correctly that you set your own tanks for the second dive? What is the feasibility of facing backwards and/or wearing a rain poncho or boat jacket? Were the crew amenable to helping you out to stand up, etc?

From what I understand Palau is pretty sheltered so rough seas are actually pretty infrequent. I often understand incorrectly, however, so if any Palau veterans would like to straighten me out I'd be much obliged. I'd rather not take meds if I don't really have to. Soggy food sounds pretty bad, I guess I'll bring some boat snacks as I usually do.
What sites did you dive? How were they different? Which did you like or dislike and why? Can we please get some more info on the diving? What kind of visibilty, etc?

Sams has been there since diving became popular in Palau. Although Garv thinks it is a bit run down he should of seen it 5 years ago....LOL...they have done a lot of remodeling, in the main shop, dive locker, Kevin's camera shop etc. I find it good but I am use to it and I have seen MUCH worse in other spots in the world. The only Dive shop I have seen on the Island that is nice in Neco Marine but that Marina was built about 4 years ago.

Sams Dive boats are basic nothing fancy and the lunches were always good (i always get the asian fish or chicken). I have not dove much with Sams in the last 4 years as I dive with Keith who merged his operation with Sams years ago to broke off about 4 years ago. I always set up my own gear between dives but I know Daniel or Dexter (who usually I dive with when I do a day or two with them) will always set up your gear or used to. The Boat drivers....well there are only a few that will help out unless you ask! I would bring a poncho....it is tropical and you will run into a rain shower or two especially the time of the year you are going. I pretty much go in March when the weather is the best but I have been in some major squalls coming back in.

Palau is pretty much sheltered (except some spots) until you go around the corner from the Big Drop off and on you way up to the Blue Corner and it just depends on the wind sometimes it can be choppy or big swells (that is what gets me) I always take a mechlazine the nite before and if the seas seem to be calm I try not to take it as I do not like the dopie feeling.

Vis is usually always excellent 100'...but not always. turtle cove and german channel is usually lower. You will hit all the great sites like the Blue corner, Blue holes, New Dropoff, Big Dropoff, German Channel etc. One dive site that is dependant on tides is Ulong try to get on a boat going there, excellent dive site. Going to Peleliu I have never found a MUST DO great diving but nothing that you cannot do at the Blue Corner...unless you are into a ripping current than go do the express it can be a ride at times.

That is my 2 psi about Palau hope this helps...some of the best diving in the world.

Sams has been there since diving became popular in Palau. Although Garv thinks it is a bit run down he should of seen it 5 years ago....LOL...they have done a lot of remodeling, in the main shop, dive locker, Kevin's camera shop etc. I find it good but I am use to it and I have seen MUCH worse in other spots in the world. The only Dive shop I have seen on the Island that is nice in Neco Marine but that Marina was built about 4 years ago.

Sams Dive boats are basic nothing fancy and the lunches were always good (i always get the asian fish or chicken). I have not dove much with Sams in the last 4 years as I dive with Keith who merged his operation with Sams years ago to broke off about 4 years ago. I always set up my own gear between dives but I know Daniel or Dexter (who usually I dive with when I do a day or two with them) will always set up your gear or used to. The Boat drivers....well there are only a few that will help out unless you ask! I would bring a poncho....it is tropical and you will run into a rain shower or two especially the time of the year you are going. I pretty much go in March when the weather is the best but I have been in some major squalls coming back in.

Palau is pretty much sheltered (except some spots) until you go around the corner from the Big Drop off and on you way up to the Blue Corner and it just depends on the wind sometimes it can be choppy or big swells (that is what gets me) I always take a mechlazine the nite before and if the seas seem to be calm I try not to take it as I do not like the dopie feeling.

Vis is usually always excellent 100'...but not always. turtle cove and german channel is usually lower. You will hit all the great sites like the Blue corner, Blue holes, New Dropoff, Big Dropoff, German Channel etc. One dive site that is dependant on tides is Ulong try to get on a boat going there, excellent dive site. Going to Peleliu I have never found a MUST DO great diving but nothing that you cannot do at the Blue Corner...unless you are into a ripping current than go do the express it can be a ride at times.

That is my 2 psi about Palau hope this helps...some of the best diving in the world.

Travelnsj is, as usual, spot on. I am sure he is correct in saying that other operations are far worse and that Sam's has improved over the years. I was only offering my impression and thoughts. Perhaps I threw in some constructive criticism too... why not? The asian and sushi plates were okay. The sandwich lunch was as described, soggy, small, doughy with a paucity of meat.... basically it sucked. They had few drinks on board and ran out three times. No snacks.

When the boat was traveling full throttle to and from the dive sites into the driving rain, we indeed covered ourselves with towels to diminish the stinging of the rain on our faces. We dove with about 8-10 divers on board. One had to ask for help getting off one's butt. Thats how I saw it.

Now my friends think I sound too negative about the experience. If so I am giving you the wrong impression. It was a great trip. It is just my nature, not so much to "complain" but to visualize how I'd do things different and perhaps better. Again, Travelnsj is a great resource and I'd take his suggestions to heart too.

Safe Diving,
Garv

Thanks gents. Sounds about what I expected (except for the soggy sandwhiches...thanks for the heads up). I don't mind less than pristine acoutrements as long as everything works and is safe, nor do I mind taking care of myself although my girlfriend is used to a bit higher level of personal service (which I usually have to perform if the staff don't). Things did sound a bit scary there for a bit, but thanks to your latest posts it seems I'll be right at home! Thanks again.

Hello Robint,

When you go back to Palau, try Neco Marine, they have great boats, lunches are very good, they make them at their own place. I dive with them when I go to Palau. Their dive shop is first class.

:)

Hello Robint,

When you go back to Palau, try Neco Marine, they have great boats, lunches are very good, they make them at their own place. I dive with them when I go to Palau. Their dive shop is first class.

:)

I am not the OP who was complaining about the dive op. My diving in Palau was on a liveaboard which I was very happy with.

Just returned this morning from a week in Palau - stayed at PPR (who said the food was good?!?!) and dove with Sam's. Found PPR to be a little on the cheesy side, but still reputed to be the best resort in Palau, so I guess it's all relative. My experience with Sam's was not representative, as we chartered a boat/driver/DM for four people which would normally hold 8-10, and our DM was attentive. Lunches were unequivocally awful. We ended up ordering peanut butter and jelly sandwiches most of the week, and even they were so-so.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about the abundance of marine life, particularly if you've been to Palau more than once. It seemed to us that fishing and shark finning had taken its toll in a big way. All my life I'd heard how thick the place is with fish, sharks, turtles, mantas, etc. One of our group had been there 16 years ago and was devastated by how much less life there was this time than there was on her first visit.

I'd like to know how this jibes with others' experiences. I'll start another thread (maybe not tonight, as I'm jet-lagged as all get-out) but in the mean time I'd really like to hear from folks about that. We never saw any species of shark other than whitetip and gray reef; only saw a handful of turtles all week and no mantas; much smaller schools of fish than expected, and lower abundance of fish overall. Even though shark finning is illegal, it still goes on, and fishing is not nearly as restricted as it should be. I'd dreamed of diving Palau for so many years, and ended up going halfway around the world to see much less than I've seen in many other locations from Baja to the Caribbean. It worries me greatly.

I've been to Palau 8 times. You had a bad week, there is no Shark finning in Palau. If they do catch a trawler like they did about 5 years ago they seize the boat and burn the fins. They are pretty good at patrolling their waters.

If you were expecting clouds of fish....no not really you will see many large schools of fish like Fusiliers, Moorish idols, Jacks etc. (But not like Raja Ampat that is where you can see clouds of fish....but not many sharks as finning years ago pretty much cleaned them out). Did you go up to Devil fish city? there are always Mantas there. I've seen many mantas throughout the area when I go in Feb or March. The Manta mating season is in October and first part of November....Robint saw many last year in the German Channel...and I have not been that lucky! In the times I have been there I have only seen about 5 or 6 species of sharks but mostly Grey's, Leopard and White tips....I've been there when people have seen Hammerheads and Tigers...I have not been that lucky!!!

I'd say you had a bad week.

Travelnsj is, as usual, spot on. I am sure he is correct in saying that other operations are far worse and that Sam's has improved over the years.

I have been delighted with Fish n Fins everytime I dived with them. Their boats look much bigger, the food is fine and the DMs I have had have been exceptionally good. I've also dived liveaboards in Palau and agree it is the best option. However if I can't make the liveaboard schedule I have no qualms about booking again with Fish n Fins.

I have not dove much with Sams in the last 4 years as I dive with Keith who merged his operation with Sams years ago to broke off about 4 years ago. I always set up my own gear between dives but I know Daniel or Dexter (who usually I dive with when I do a day or two with them) will always set up your gear or used to.

Dexter was working on the Aggressor II earlier this year, I agree he is a great guide. Very upbeat, super briefings and a keen eye underwater.

I've been to Palau 8 times. You had a bad week, there is no Shark finning in Palau. If they do catch a trawler like they did about 5 years ago they seize the boat and burn the fins. They are pretty good at patrolling their waters.

I'd say you had a bad week.

Well, there is no =legal= shark finning in Palau. To say there is none is sadly not accurate. I was traveling with a couple high-profile conservation people. While in Palau, we met with the leader of a shark conservation effort there, as well as outgoing President Tommy Remengesau Jr. So it's not like I'm just making assumptions here. Alarmingly, the President-elect, Johnson Toribiong, is rumored to be receptive to the idea of lifting the ban on shark finning.

I do hope you're right, and that my experience was not representative of the current state of Palau's marine life, but I do know that one of my diving companions, comparing her first experience 16 years ago to this one was shocked at the decline, and in her previous visit to Palau she did indeed see "clouds" of fish. The problem with shifting baselines is that when you don't know what you're missing, things may not seem to you to be as bad as they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom