Palau liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove with the Palau Aggressor in 1999 and had a terrific time. If you go to Palau try to combine it with a trip to Yap...

sdwho

Yap is already part of the plan !

Thanks!

sdwho once bubbled...
We dove with the Palau Aggressor in 1999 and had a terrific time. If you go to Palau try to combine it with a trip to Yap...

sdwho

However a couple of the divers are at issue with the poorer viz there...so, WHY YAP??? (I know about the Mantas, but WHY else?)

TIA

I think Mantas are the main reason, but I have heard that Yap's location lends itself well to a visit after a stay in Palau.

The Mantas are the principal reason..of course there's always the local native girls in grass skirts :)

Seriously, in addition to the diving there is some cool stuff on the island itself...a real culture clash with ancient stone money one moment and a video store the next.

sdwho

Roncone once bubbled...
I think Mantas are the main reason, but I have heard that Yap's location lends itself well to a visit after a stay in Palau.

Palau/Chuuk (Truk) is an outstanding (and doable) combination. I did both in one trip on Aggressors during March 2000.

Thanks.

That might be the game plan as well. I've heard that to really appreciate Truk, you have to be a Tek diver, though.

Roncone once bubbled...
Thanks.

That might be the game plan as well. I've heard that to really appreciate Truk, you have to be a Tek diver, though.

Not so. Just be experienced and confident enough to get into a bit of decompression. Many of the wrecks are upright and are dove from the holds, up the superstructure, to the top of the masts as multilevel dives. With a computer, decom stops are often not required.

The deeper wrecks, such as the San Francisco Maru, where 200 feet can be found, are probably best left to the tech divers, although I've done that one on a single.

On my last trip there (2000), I went with an old friend and very experienced diver who had never done - and didn't want to do - a decom dive. We avoided decompression by watching our computers carefully and moving up the wreck when we got close to the no decom limits. Albeit, we "slipped up" a bit toward the end of the week, but had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom