Palau or Philipines? Been to Solomons and wonder if anything could beat that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<<Solomons heat>> With aircon going down in the cabins and baking heat up in the salon, it should have been raining on the stairs in between. For one night dive, I kept hearing childrens voices before coming up from my cabin. I came out to find about 20 kids sitting on dugout canoes watching the nutty Westerners getting ready to dive in the dark, on purpose.

Going all the way to Australia to come back to Asia must be murder. 14 hours to Hong Kong has been bad enough. For the Solomons, I did LA -> Fiji -> Vanuatu -> Solomons. For Palau, it's SFO -> Hawaii -> Guam -> Yap -> Palau. Airfare to Palau has become so expensive. I have little incentive to go back as the boat costs roughly the same all over the world so the travel cost is the differentiator. One of the reasons I haven't made it to PNG. RA is on the other end of the island with New Guinea but much less cost because just the flight to Port Moresby costs the same as the international flight to Australia, while the flight to Indo is cheaper and then to RA even cheaper.

I prefer liveaboards and would recommend them for Palau, RA and Komodo, as well as Fiji.

Thanks nudisusie! I have to say this is one of the better threads I've read in a while. Thought about the Philippines too.

I saw a video on the Nautilus "dive" by Sam's. Unless it's something different now they lower a cage with a few frozen chickens down a few hundred feet, haul it up during the day, throw away the dead bycatch and let the divers play with the Nautilus like a toy. $$$ talk I guess.

I didn;t do the Nautilus dive, Most centres/ liveaboards don;t offer it as standard as many people are against it. and yes they bait a cage and bring up the Nautilus. I think people play with them - but i don;t like that. then they are released over the reef edge to descend to the depths once more (and maybe brought up the next day!)

I didn't realize PNG airfare was so much $. Even our trip to the Bilikiki and Uepi is quite spendy in that regard. I have points to fly to Sydney, it's the quickest flight by far, 22hrs. Then SYD-BNE $1000 return for the 3 of us. From there it's Brisbane to Honiara $1100 (one way), then after Bilkiki HIR-EGM return $1200, then back to Brisbane $1500 (all in AUD).

Jakarta to Sorong return is around 1320Euros (3 adults). Getting to either Singapore or Jakarta is easy via points from Toronto with easy availability in Business via EVA Air.

I'm loving all the specific advice in this thread. So, now I'm thinking either Philippines (because its easier/cheaper) vs. go whole hog and try to do maybe Lembeh/Raja Ampat and Komodo in one trip to get a range of experiences. Or maybe just Lembeh and Raja Ampat. If that is possible or sensible. I know, this thread should move over to Indonesia. I've been scouring the threads there. And here are my reservations (concerns, not bookings):
- re: LOB - I've done long boat rides for diving and don't mind them at all, but I'd worry about feeling trapped on a boat for a week, and I worry about feeling seasick.
- I hate to admit, but strong currents make me uncomfortable. I love being able to see the big schools and pelagics that come with currents, but I love being able to stop and examine even more. I want it all!! I don't take photos, but still, whizzing by things hasn't seemed that fun so far, nor is getting on and off boats in ripping currents and fearing getting separated from the group. That said, I did pretty well in currents in the Solomons, and I handled a down-current well (didn't freak out, added air to BCD to ascend, slowly let it out as I went up) so I can handle currents... I just don't love them.

-

Lembeh is a great add on to Komodo/Raja trips. I did Lembeh for a second time last November before a Komodo trip. And I'm going to do a repeat again this year as I really Love Lembeh and Komodo was fantastic. If your leaning twords Komodo/Raja just figure what time of the year as the season for both has it's prime time. And be aware lot's of the boats book up way in advance. For my Komodo trips I've had to book 6 months ahead as the Liveaboard I went on is very popular.
In regards to being stuck on the boat for a week or more, prior to my Komodo trip last year the most time I had done on a Liveaboard was 4 days and I was hoping I wouldn't displeased. I had no problems with being bored or not liking the company.Turns out there is no time to be bored as it's dive eat sleep repeat, and the company yes can vary but I'm sure you'll find at least a few people you like. And if you need space/time to yourself there's always your cabin or a quiet spot on the boat.

We had to book the Arenui for July 2016 Komodo Manta cruise this week. Still deciding where to go for a few days after the cruise. Have to take a look at Lembeh. Any place to reccomend?

Also do you go straight to the boat or spend a day recuperating from all that travel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm loving all the specific advice in this thread. So, now I'm thinking either Philippines (because its easier/cheaper) vs. go whole hog and try to do maybe Lembeh/Raja Ampat and Komodo in one trip to get a range of experiences. Or maybe just Lembeh and Raja Ampat. If that is possible or sensible. I know, this thread should move over to Indonesia. I've been scouring the threads there. And here are my reservations (concerns, not bookings):
-
How about Komodo + Bali?
Bali to Labuan Bajo to board the boat and then stop over in Bali afterwards. Mola Mola(seasonal) is one of the attraction in Bali. The top side attraction of Bali needs no introduction.

If your leaning twords Komodo/Raja just figure what time of the year as the season for both has it's prime time. And be aware lot's of the boats book up way in advance. For my Komodo trips I've had to book 6 months ahead as the Liveaboard I went on is very popular.

Just wondering... do you mean there is a "prime season" when diving is better in those places? Or a season when it is just busier. Can you clarify which season you mean? thanks so much!! We love specifics!!

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 04:00 AM ----------

We had to book the Arenui for July 2016 Komodo Manta cruise this week. Still deciding where to go for a few days after the cruise. Have to take a look at Lembeh. Any place to reccomend?

Also do you go straight to the boat or spend a day recuperating from all that travel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nudisusie recommended Eco-Divers in Lembeh. I googled the website and it looks really nice. Didn't check prices yet though. It's unclear from dive reports in the Indonesia forum if it is worth diving both the Lembeh and the Bunaken sides of that Area.

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 04:02 AM ----------

How about Komodo + Bali?
Bali to Labuan Bajo to board the boat and then stop over in Bali afterwards. Mola Mola(seasonal) is one of the attraction in Bali. The top side attraction of Bali needs no introduction.

Sorry to be a dunce Centrals... but when you say "board the boat" what boat are you referring to? Thanks!

Yes in my opinion it is worth diving both sides of manado if you are in the area. Dive Bunaken walls for a couple of days then back to manado then drive across to Lembeh. Because you have to go back via manado its easier to use an dive op with places on both Bunaken and Lembeh. I like Froggies and have dived with them for quite a few years - they are now both on Lembeh and at Bunaken. Others highly recommended are Black Sands, Two Fish, Eco Divers and Critters@Lembeh. Bonus if any of the ops will add on a day trip to Bangka or spend another couple of days there for pinacles - I stayed at Murex Bangka and was not dissatisfied with the service, just the junior guide and the boats are showing their age a little. Eco Divers are highly recommended at Bangka also.
So you really have to look at the three areas as different types of diving....Bunaken for walls and drop offs, Lembeh for muck and Bangka for Pinacles. Each holds their own charm and each is worth it in my opinion. Lot of bang for your buck in N. Sulawesi.

Doing both RA and Komodo together would be quite a feat. I wouldn't recommend it as RA liveaboards are 12-14 days while Komodo starts with a week. It would be awesome but it would be quite a marathon and I'd think burnout would set in at the prospect of getting off one liveaboard onto another. I mean I enjoy the hell out of it, but it's nice to get a chance to realax and enjoy it and you need some time to digest what you are seeing. I'd do one location and then a bit of land time because these places also have some amazing land sights.

BTW, you usually don't do drift dives in the currents in RA and Komodo like Palau or other places. First, a little current is good but good guides should help avoid most of it through planning locations because no one can swim against it for long. For most places, you avoid the current by using terrain and encounter it in places where it comes around the island or reef. So you duck in and out, and deliberately cross areas of higher current. There are specific spots of higher current like Batu Balong but most sites aren't like that. In Palau, drift diving was closer to the norm because you are diving lots of walls where you float by looking at the wall, or go to Blue Corner where current is generally high but you use your reef hook to remain stationary while the fish and sharks do the moving, or take the Peleliu Express where you do fly along. Last suggestion: don't sweat the places that much because you have a million conflicting datapoints. They are all quality locations. Pick one and go have fun. If you haven't been out there in Asia, then unless you've got the bucks to easily go again, don't bust the bank the first time, but do a mid level trip leaving money to go again with more experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom