Palau or Philipines? Been to Solomons and wonder if anything could beat that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to be a dunce Centrals... but when you say "board the boat" what boat are you referring to? Thanks!
The liveaboard.
Lubuan Bajo is the gateway to Komodo National Park.
Manado(Bangka, Bunaken and Lembeh) is also very good.
Tubbataha(Philippines) is also highly recommended.
You are spoilt of choice!!
Have a nice trip.

It's unclear from dive reports in the Indonesia forum if it is worth diving both the Lembeh and the Bunaken sides of that Area.

I think if you are planning to combine Lembeh land based with a resort or liveaboard in RA then then diving Bunaken too might be a little "over-kill". Lembeh and RA will mean you get the best of muck/critter dives with stunning coral reefs and mantas and schooling fish.

There is a flight with Lion Air from Manado to Sorong which departs around 7am so you arrive in good time to get to a boat / resort. If you take that option my advice would be to leave Lembeh the day before and stay in a hotel close to the airport (such as Novotel).

Agree with Shasta_Man - trying to combine RA/Lembeh/Komodo will burn you out. Better to plan a combo RA/Lembeh or Bali/Komodo and come back again. (and again)

BTW not all liveaboards in Komodo depart from Labuan Bajo, Some (indo siren & waow) leave from/return to Bima Bay - in my view some of the best muck diving in Indo ;-)

when do you plan to travel. RA is best between Feb-Apr, Komodo best Jul-Oct - and by best i mean weather wise and marine life.

How is Lion air? Say compared to Garuda. I see Garuda is more $, but it's one of the top five ranked airlines in the world!

I'm still debating to end our Komodo LOB with either Lembeh (5.5hr plane ride) or Bali and mix some diving with land tours. In Lembeh are there any land based activities?

I have been to Palau three times and to the Philippines once around Palwan island mostly. Some places in the Philippines are horrendously polluted and the infrastructure is not nearly as good as in Palau. The fish species are a little more diverse in the Philippines. However, if they are telling you they can find you a whale shark, they are probably promising something they won't be able to deliver. As of last winter, the sharks have mostly gone missing and no one knows where they have gone. The water is warmer in Palau and there is less current and your boat trips will be much shorter if you are not living aboard. For me, Palau wins hands down, but the Philippines is gorgeous as well.

Lion Air are just fine - the flight into Manado from Makassar gets in late at night though. No complaints at all, think i have flown Lion Air over 30 times without a hitch at all. At least you know where you stand with them, ticket will say meal status confirmed...yes, confirmed you are not getting one :D - no frills but they get you there roughly on time. Flights from Sorong are early morning so you either have to be sure of what time your LOB will dock or overnight in Sorong.

Misool booked us on Express Air from Jakarta to Sorong, all nighter that one...ugh. Decided 2 weeks on a LOB was too much, besides Misool looks beautful, going to spend Christmas and NewYrs there! The next one, not this one upcoming. They were booked up for this year a long time ago, not that it mattered, I plan a year out anyway due to booking on points.

I did Express Air from Jakarta to Sorong too, leaving at 5 AM after getting into Jakarta from the international flight, and I worked that day before getting on the flight at midnight in SFO. Very stupid. Since I'm back with the little people and, shockingly, can't sleep too well sitting up, I was up something like 30 hours before staying at transit hotel in Jakarta which was fine because it was just a short ride to the domestic terminal. I overnighted in Sorong before my boat left as airlines can be very unreliable in Sorong. Favorite story is how one, 1, guy put the entire batch of luggage from our 737 through a little door into the Sorong airport, while like 85 porters waited to carry our luggage inside the airport. All while it was baking. Sorong is supposed to have malarial mosquitos and after one got in my room due to no screens in the hallway, I was just a bit worried as I hadn't taken my Malarone to avoid the crazy dreams from killing my sleep further. Ah yes, and the "what the h#ll is that?" call to prayers at 5 AM. :) World class trip on the Dewi Nusantara though which is so big you couldn't always tell you were on a boat.

Very interesting points in this thead like you would have shorter boat trips in Palau compared to Phillipines because typical trips out to the Rock Islands for diving in Palau are like an hour I believe. Note that the average dive from the liveaboard when they anchor in Palau is like 5 minutes, and you are anchored with incredible 360 degree classic blue water islands view. Also interesting to hear that the drift diving capital of Palau has less current than Phillipines.

And big shock is that Garuda is top five in the world?! :)

Note that Xmas and New YEars is a big time in that part of the world so lots of people. Streets were so filled with cars, motorcycles drove on the sidewalk like it was nothing. They avoided the guy taking a shower butt naked on the sidewalk. Cool, it's Indonesia!

If you're going to RA, it's well worth considering an add-on to Ambon. Also, I would and do pay extra for Garuda over Lion/Wings.

How is Lion air? Say compared to Garuda. I see Garuda is more $, but it's one of the top five ranked airlines in the world!

I'm still debating to end our Komodo LOB with either Lembeh (5.5hr plane ride) or Bali and mix some diving with land tours. In Lembeh are there any land based activities?

Lion Air was fine from what i remember (travelled in 2011), we took the Wings flight also from Bali-Bima last month but we did have a delay. The plane looked new inside- very clean. but it is no frills - no food or drinks - but its an hour flight so no issue there - and you can bring your own on board.

I didn't do any land based tours in Lembeh but there is a local wildlife sanctuary.

I think Bali combo is better, go up to Tulamben - loads of critters there. We saw some amazing stuff in just 4 dives with Tulamben Wreck Divers, we simply rented tanks and did our own thing (very low budget 7.5$ per air tank / 12.5$ per nitrox tank) The staff were excellent though. really helpful, professional and friendly. I think we will go back and dive more of the area with a guide as i read some great things about their spotting abilities. We stayed at the Dive Resort which is separate from the Liberty Dive Resort. Rooms from 37$ per night incl. full breakfast. No restaurant but there are plenty of choices "in town".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom