Palau???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a third vote for Sam's. We used them in October while we were there and they have a Class A operation.

I am the third person to recommend Sams. I am leaving in ten days!! cannon wait. This is my 6th trip. I suggest requesting Keith (divemaster) at Sams.

The Blue Corner or New Dropoff are the Best! But another a little more mellow of a dive is Turtle Cove. Great sealife on that dive.

Another one for Sam's. I just returned. Did 29 dives with them. Their approach is "no rush". Thge boat would go out at 9:30 and return at 4:30 after two world class dives, 6:00 after 3 dives. Their package includs lunch. Surface intervals are at least 1:30.

My favorite sites: Blue Corner 7 times, Big Drop Off 3 times.

Favorite dive guide: Maggie, but all were good and have slightly different styles. I did not get to dive with Kieth, but I thought he was a pretty good guy. Expect crazy currents, tons of colorful fish, coral, turtles and sharks. The guides keep things flexible due to the constantly changing conditions. You don't know where you are going to dive until you back roll in. Dives run over an hour unless limited by depth, time or your air consumption.

Let's see, besides the already mentioned classic sites I thought Jellyfish Lake (snorkel) was interesting because it is so bizarre. There is also a good Mandarin fish spot somewhere there (I can't remember the name). And if you are into such things you can go to Survior Island (Uulong) probably only to say you have been there.

Sam's is top-notch; our favorite dive guide was Jonas, but they're all good. Everyone knows Blue Corner is spectacular. Blue Hole, Siaes Tunnel, and the Pelileu dives were surprisingly excellent. You must do some kayaking and see the jellyfish.

If you go 4x4'ing on Babledoap like we did, believe people who tell you "the maps are no good and the road signs worse." It's hotter 'n you-know-what too...

If you get tired of spectacular vistas there are also several nice wreaks close to the main island to go hide in. Its low vis by Palau standards (5-10 metres) but makes a change after a week on the walls. There are apparently Mandarin fish under the jetty at sams - I never looked as they only come out at dusk, which is way too close to beer o'clock for my liking... (sorry, the 'post-dive debriefing session')

Sheessshh - I was only there this time last year, but reading this thread I know I'm going to have to go back again...

Cheers,
Rohan.

leadweight:
Another one for Sam's. I just returned. Did 29 dives with them. Their approach is "no rush". Thge boat would go out at 9:30 and return at 4:30 after two world class dives, 6:00 after 3 dives. Their package includs lunch. Surface intervals are at least 1:30.

My favorite sites: Blue Corner 7 times, Big Drop Off 3 times.

Favorite dive guide: Maggie, but all were good and have slightly different styles. I did not get to dive with Kieth, but I thought he was a pretty good guy. Expect crazy currents, tons of colorful fish, coral, turtles and sharks. The guides keep things flexible due to the constantly changing conditions. You don't know where you are going to dive until you back roll in. Dives run over an hour unless limited by depth, time or your air consumption.

I dove with Keith for the last Three years and i headed that way this Sunday, to spend another 10 days diving with him. Whenever i have dove with other divemasters at Sams, I have always found then to be Great!

Travelnsj:
I dove with Keith for the last Three years and i headed that way this Sunday, to spend another 10 days diving with him. Whenever i have dove with other divemasters at Sams, I have always found then to be Great!

If you see Maggie, tell her Ron sends his regards. Stop by Kramers. I can't wait to get back.

It seems that as we have chosen to dive with Sams on our forthcoming trip to Palau we have made a goood choice. We are staying at Carolines Resort, but they cannot provide us with accomodations for 1 of our nights so we are considering making a camping trip for that night to the rock islands. Has anyone done that before and if so do you have any tips for us.

Neil

neilstewart:
It seems that as we have chosen to dive with Sams on our forthcoming trip to Palau we have made a goood choice. We are staying at Carolines Resort, but they cannot provide us with accomodations for 1 of our nights so we are considering making a camping trip for that night to the rock islands. Has anyone done that before and if so do you have any tips for us.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I sure you might be able to camp at one of the Rock Islands. But they are remote. You would have to have someone drop you off and pick you up.

There are a lot of Hotels in Korror, West Plaza, Sunrise etc.

My suggestion since you are diving with Sams contact Russelle and she can tell you what to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom