Palau???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj:
Hi Neil,

I sure you might be able to camp at one of the Rock Islands. But they are remote. You would have to have someone drop you off and pick you up.

There are a lot of Hotels in Korror, West Plaza, Sunrise etc.

My suggestion since you are diving with Sams contact Russelle and she can tell you what to do.

Neil,

West Plaza is almost next door to Sams, so it would be a good choice. I used it for a day room after my Aggressor trip, and was very happy.

West Plaza in Malakal is right next to Sam's.

They can also arrange an overnight in rock islands, complete with Tent, food, ......

Just write and ask.

I will be in Palau in May and am diving with Sam's as well. I am also taking their two day kayak trip with an overnight stay in tent on one of the remote islands. Can't wait to go. Has anyone done the kayak trip?

Yes that's the way it works. Sams takes you diving in the day, rents you camping gear and drops you off on a deserted island, you stay overnight and then they pick you up next morning for another day of glorious diving.

It is not something that we must do because we cannot find any accomodation we did in fact have a reservation at Pan Pacific but as the opportunity sort of arose being one day short at Carolines we have decided to do it as we think it will be kind of adventurous.

Rastob, we will be kayaking for a day on the last (non diving day) of our trip. Will report back about the camping kayaking and of course the diving upon my return.

Neil

neilstewart:
Yes that's the way it works. Sams takes you diving in the day, rents you camping gear and drops you off on a deserted island, you stay overnight and then they pick you up next morning for another day of glorious diving.

It is not something that we must do because we cannot find any accomodation we did in fact have a reservation at Pan Pacific but as the opportunity sort of arose being one day short at Carolines we have decided to do it as we think it will be kind of adventurous.

Rastob, we will be kayaking for a day on the last (non diving day) of our trip. Will report back about the camping kayaking and of course the diving upon my return.

Neil

Thanks Neil,
I will be waiting for the report. Have fun.

Tassie_Rohan:
I have to second Sams Tour - a great outfit and they do a good job of matching up divers with equivalent skill levels. Blue Corner is a must do dive - just hook in and watch the show.. For something different there’s a small 3-chamber cave just opposite the jetty at Sams that provides a novel little dive at the end of the day, and there’s plenty of mandarin fish outside the entrance at dusk. You can see sunlight from the end of the cave - so its not partially difficult. One of the best dives is one of the least known: Devil Ray City – an easy shallow channel dive up the west coast - although only 1 or 2 guides at sams appear to know where it is. You just sit on the bottom near a cleaning station and watch the mantas hover a metre or two away from you. I remember counting 5 mantas at the one station… If you are starting to feel adventurous after all this and have good buoyancy skills and a safety sausage, then try the Peleliu Express: a great dive for those of us who can't be bothered finning.

Sams is who I dove with also. I would stay away from Peleliu if you are not used to strong currents and adept with a reef hook!!! Blue Corner is a dive not to be missed but try Ulong Channel or Siaes Tunnel, Nugelese Wall a few times or the dive metioned above. The Pyramid Butterfly fish always faces into the current(white triangle over body rest is orange and a dark face). They are everywhere there if they are looking down means up current along wall... one moves out from wall where current is less. Devils Point might mean more to the DM's, I went there with 3 of them on their day off looking for new spots and there is nominal current, we swam with 9 mantas at once. Wrong tide though so viz was not the greatest only compared with the rest of the sites. I was there for 1 month so got in with the DM's. Do the kayak trip, you see the caves where the stone money was quarried,snorkel,Japanese bunkers on the rock islands and a bunch of other stuff, perfect way to off gas. Have a great trip!!!

leadweight:
If you see Maggie, tell her Ron sends his regards. Stop by Kramers. I can't wait to get back.

Hi Ron,

Did see Maggie and said hi for you. She remembered you and your wife and spoke fondly! And i did have dinner with Renee at Kramers a couple of times.

Her husband quit while i was there and she did not know if she was going to stay.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom