Panama City Charter Boat Captain Fined $1,000 for Shooting at Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB:
I repeat again, this doesn't justify shooting at them but it does explain why someone could feel compelled to shoot at something that in their mind is scaring business and money away. Just another perspective.

does this mean you feel it is worth weighing if some competing store owner tried shooting you, well, you are taking away some of his business, so we can see why he would feel compelled to shoot at you......

buddy :D

mike_s:
Walker, who takes fishing trips daily during the season, said he believes he will get probation for the offense.
is he stupid?

I say, lets all go for a ride on his boat, then at the end of the charter walk off without paying, and say the dolphins sent us :D

GLENFWB:
I certainly will not defend harassing or shooting dolphins but it should be put in context...to most people dolphins are flipper with a cute grin on his face. To a commercial fisherman who makes his living having people catch fish off of his boat, a dolphin trailing behind his boat means bait fish will be scared away and in turn the predators that feed off of them will leave. The only place a captain makes money off of seeing dolphins is on a sight seeing cruise...any other time they are a fish that is scaring away business.

I repeat again, this doesn't justify shooting at them but it does explain why someone could feel compelled to shoot at something that in their mind is scaring business and money away. Just another perspective.

30 years ago, no one I know of would have done that out of that area.... I would suggest that these people have such a low regard for the law, I wonder what other ones they don't like following?

photohikedive:
does this mean you feel it is worth weighing if some competing store owner tried shooting you, well, you are taking away some of his business, so we can see why he would feel compelled to shoot at you......

buddy :D

Yes, if someone had a twisted way of thinking I guess they could come to that conclusion...which is why I am so very happy that YOU aren't in my line of work!:rofl3:

GLENFWB:
Yes, if someone had a twisted way of thinking I guess they could come to that conclusion...which is why I am so very happy that YOU aren't in my line of work!:rofl3:

yeah, about that....

damn pet stores are ruining the farm equipment business.

I happen to be in the farm equipment business.

I have a gun.

on a completely unrelated note, will you be at work tomorrow?

photohikedive:
yeah, about that....

damn pet stores are ruining the farm equipment business.

I happen to be in the farm equipment business.

I have a gun.

on a completely unrelated note, will you be at work tomorrow?

Nope, Sunday is my one day off a week unless we plan a Saturday dive like we are next week...then I will take Saturday off also. You going to be in town? If you are going by in the afternoon I will go up there and meet you.

GLENFWB:
Nope, Sunday is my one day off a week unless we plan a Saturday dive like we are next week...then I will take Saturday off also. You going to be in town? If you are going by in the afternoon I will go up there and meet you.

heh heh heh, he fell for the old "on a completely unrelated note" trick, the fool!

hmmm, let me check my ammo, I mean, schedule

It's late and I've been drinking, so I feel like picking nits

The only place a captain makes money off of seeing dolphins is on a sight seeing cruise...any other time they are a fish that is scaring away business.

If this were true, then the MMPA would not be invoked. Dolphins are, of course, mammals, not Fish.

Signed
The Dolphin anti-defamation league (who will sponsor your trip with this captain, if you
1) stop up his head
2) cut the lines that are trailing his "teasers"
3) leave a menhaden in some part of his boat that won't be found at "cleaning" time, but later by smell
4) "lose" his newest rod/reel in some way.)

paulwall:

If this were true, then the MMPA would not be invoked. Dolphins are, of course, mammals, not Fish.

Signed
The Dolphin anti-defamation league (who will sponsor your trip with this captain, if you
1) stop up his head
2) cut the lines that are trailing his "teasers"
3) leave a menhaden in some part of his boat that won't be found at "cleaning" time, but later by smell
4) "lose" his newest rod/reel in some way.)

you are a bad bad man paul, but we still love you

paulwall:

To quote a famous member of this board....blah, blah, blah! You focus on the fact that they are warm blooded and I will focus on the fact that they have fins and swim in the water. If it walks like a duck....etc, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom