Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magrone, Welcome to the thread and thanks for sharing, very nice and keep posting! Any reason why you chose to shoot in MP4, rather than AVCHD? Perhaps its due to the editing software you used? You must have brought along a lot of memory. Any other thoughts on the this experience?

Thanks JoeBubbles. I shot in AVCHD but it was converted to a large MP4 file after editing. I didn't see a better option on the editing software I used. I used the extremely easy, PMB, on my Sony Vaio laptop. I'm gonna try other movie editors in the future due to customizing limitations of PMB, but it was so easy and fast I couldn't resist.

Yes, I use dual video lights. I find its necessary if you really want the natural reef colors to pop.

Here's a pic of my rig
Lumix ZS3 Rig --Wide angle Configuration on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hi Joe, great looking setup. I have the same camera and housing with just a basic two handle tray. I would like to get into the lights, but i know very little about what to look for. Ideally one set of lights for both video and pictures. So how much to get into the lighting part of this? Would you say go low cost first and make sure you use it or does low cost = low quality so its an all or nothing kind of thing. Appreciate any advice you can offer,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Lower cost doesn't necessarily mean low quality any longer.
I would first check out this thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/340713-favorite-led-video-lights.html

It seems that the consensus opinion is moving rapidly to LED video lights. Prices have come down and power has gone up. I use two 500 lumen lights that take off-the-shelf AA's. They cost me $300 each which is reasonable. I would think that a total of 1,000 lumens should be sufficient power. Towards the end of the attached thread Ronscuba indicates that he'll be buying the Sartek LED light. On paper it has impressive specs. 1500 lumens with 120 degrees of dispersion for only $375. No need for two lights with that spec. I'm satisfied with what I have. Sometimes I find it challenging to line up the two lights without overlapping on the subject area. Certainly a single light with a very wide angle of dispersion would solve that challenge. Make sure your light has adjustable output, you certainly won't need full power when you are a few inches away from your subject.
Good luck with your research.

Here's some vid I took with my TZ7 at Halifax park, Nelson Bay, Port Stephens NSW Aust a few weekends ago. I love the TZ7 and highly recommend to anyone looking for an underwater set up.

Purchased from eBay for AUD$295 del + AUD$311 for the marine case. Bargain!

PS: it was my first time shooting with the camera so smoother panning could have made for a better vid.

YouTube - Nelson Bay - 20th June 2010 3pm

hi all,

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and I asked for the ZS3 which is no longer available here, they sell the ZS7 (or TZ10), which has an underwater casing as well. They also have the ZR3 available which is slimer with no GPS but similar specs. has anyone tried the TZ10 underwater yet? Thanks,

froggie

hi all,

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment and I asked for the ZS3 which is no longer available here, they sell the ZS7 (or TZ10), which has an underwater casing as well. They also have the ZR3 available which is slimer with no GPS but similar specs. has anyone tried the TZ10 underwater yet? Thanks,

froggie

Here we have a wide angle lens (WAL) for our favourite camera. I understand that the optical physics of the camera is not compatible with a WAL. I hope someone can come up with evidence whether this is truly functional. :confused:

Panasonic DMW-MC TZ10 waterproof case for Lumix DMC-TZ10 - Cameras Underwater.

It certainly is compatible with this particular wide-angle adapter. But it's not very wide.

It's a matter of size. Typical screw on or bayonet mount wide angle wet lenses have too small a rear lens, about 58mm in diameter or smaller. That would vignette, so you would have to zoom out, canceling the benefit of the typical wet lens.

This has a bigger rear plate, about 67mm. Note that it is not an extreme wide angle lens, it merely restores the original field of view that is reduced by the refraction of water. This air dome appears to be similar to the Fantasea brand lens. I have one for the Canon housing for the Canon G11, works as advertised. However, I don't see a Panasonic mount for theirs, so Dyron looks like the only choice. Mine was made in China, so I would not be surprised if the same factory builds them - a guess. Here is a source for fantasea:
Fantasea Sets - Underwater Photography - Helix Camera & Video

Ikelite makes a similar product, WD-4, for certain of its housings.
Ikelite 60m housing for Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10, TZ9, TZ8 - Cameras Underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom