Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi All,

My first post on this forum, and I really want to thank Wicked for the good posts! The videos are great! I'm planning on getting this camera over the next few days, do you have any other things (pros and cons) about the camera in general and in u/w mode? Thanks in advance!

hey wicked innit, i also got this camera last week and tested in diving...

- do you use super high (SH) when recording videos (the youtube videos)?

- i was not able to use macro mode with the underwater mode... had to switch to normal camera mode for macro mode ... seems strange... do you have this problem? or it is normal?

- do you turn on the i - exposure?

- i am still learning to use the flash to aviod the dark area in the left hand buttom of the photo.. i tried not to stick too close to the subject... i had no problem with my Canon S70 previously...

- the battery can last for 2 dives only, need to get back up battery later..

- need further test on macro video, eg. pygmy seahorse

- please share more tips with me after your next trip..

hi sfen

i think not being able to use underwater mode in macro is ideal. u/w mode adds a reddish tinge to u/w pictures to correct for the blues but for pictures that are reachable by flash, like a macro shot, you definitely want to shoot in normal mode.

also the dark area can be reduced and even eliminated by putting transluscent tape over the flash. in my experience this has worked much better than an actual diffuser.

hope that helps

I got the TZ7/ZS3 for my vacation to Dahab where I took my first dive lessons. Got my PADI and took some extra dives to get some experience and try my new toy. I was very pleased with both the video and photo results above and below the water. Sure it's not a SLR (normally I shoot a Nikon D200), but quality is definitely better than I expected!

I got the TZ7/ZS3 for my vacation to Dahab where I took my first dive lessons. Got my PADI and took some extra dives to get some experience and try my new toy. I was very pleased with both the video and photo results above and below the water. Sure it's not a SLR (normally I shoot a Nikon D200), but quality is definitely better than I expected!

^^ Marcello, how was Dahab?

What an awesome post this is. I'm just considering buying this camera, can't decide between the TZ6 and TZ7 though and the housing - AND going to Dahab to get my PADI Open Water in August :)

woOt

/Mette

Just received my ZS1 today and love it. Looking for recommendations on where to get the housing, DMW-MCTZ7, for it. I can't seem to find it cheaper than $290 (with shipping included) on eBay. Are there any other places out there? Amazon Japan says it doesn't ship out of country. Would like to order in the next couple days as some dive trips are coming up in the next couple weeks.

Thanks!

Hi Mettchen,

I liked Dahab a lot! It's a really relaxed place and a great place to learn how to dive I think. Especially since all dives are done from the shore and all confined dives during PADI lessons are already done in the sea! So it feels like diving from day one :cool3:

I recommend Red Sea Relax as both a dive school and a place to stay. Just google them and check them out. I was taught by Sophia and she's a great sport. If you decide to go there tell them I say hi!!!

To stay on topic: check out Youtube code x4PKZ_yMcu4 a little movie I made with the TZ7.

Sorry for me bouncing around every now and then... student diver :wink:

My pictures (only the one of me taken with another camera):

double u double u double u marcellonoto.com/dahab/diving

Can't post links yet so hopefully this works :wink:

Hi Mettchen,

I liked Dahab a lot! It's a really relaxed place and a great place to learn how to dive I think. Especially since all dives are done from the shore and all confined dives during PADI lessons are already done in the sea! So it feels like diving from day one :cool3:

I recommend Red Sea Relax as both a dive school and a place to stay. Just google them and check them out. I was taught by Sophia and she's a great sport. If you decide to go there tell them I say hi!!!

To stay on topic: check out Youtube code x4PKZ_yMcu4 a little movie I made with the TZ7.

Sorry for me bouncing around every now and then... student diver :wink:

My pictures (only the one of me taken with another camera):

double u double u double u marcellonoto.com/dahab/diving

Can't post links yet so hopefully this works :wink:

Thanks for much for the this - I'm more an more certain that it's the camera I want and Dahab looks and sounds just perfect. I might email that place you mentioned to see if they've got something good to offer :)

I might have missed this in the post. Where can you get a good deal on the Housing?

It would be awesome to see some more photos from this rig in the thread instead of just as links, which many don't or can't click :wink:

This is a GREAT suggestion. My only comment is that these are HD videos, and the {YT} embed window is way too small to make use of the increased resolution. I've asked El Orans a few times to edit the YT tag to increase the dimensions of the video embed, but have been shot down because I'm apparently the only person who has brought it up (I believe that a lot of people just don't know the embed size can be controlled through the bbcode).

Hi Mettchen,

Small-size embed (click the YouTube logo to watch full-size):

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom