Panhandle Residents, how do you feel being a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't speak much for diving off the panhandle, however many of the springs in north and central Florida could be worth a day trip. I've done Blue Grotto, Rainbow River, Paradise Springs, Devil's Den, Alexander Springs, and Blue Springs. Each has their own unique features and crystal clear water. Some are state parks that may also have hiking trails, camping, or kayak rentals to fill your time. Unfortunately, the rest of my family does not dive, but usually I can convince them to come with me to Alexander Springs to enjoy other activities while my dive buddy and I check out the spring. While Ginnie Springs is well known for its cave system, the ballroom is good for those with no cave training since the entrance to the cave is gated. It's also fun to float down the Santa Fe River and go camping. Hope that helps!

Those are some AWESOME pictures and an AWESOME blog, Skeptic. Thank you so kindly! Is that really how it looks in person? While it might not be "Keys" level, it looks way better than what a lot of the crappy youtube videos tend to show. Do you have any videos? Again, if that's what viz is normally like I wouldn't mind one bit.

I can't speak much for diving off the panhandle, however many of the springs in north and central Florida could be worth a day trip. I've done Blue Grotto, Rainbow River, Paradise Springs, Devil's Den, Alexander Springs, and Blue Springs. Each has their own unique features and crystal clear water. Some are state parks that may also have hiking trails, camping, or kayak rentals to fill your time. Unfortunately, the rest of my family does not dive, but usually I can convince them to come with me to Alexander Springs to enjoy other activities while my dive buddy and I check out the spring. While Ginnie Springs is well known for its cave system, the ballroom is good for those with no cave training since the entrance to the cave is gated. It's also fun to float down the Santa Fe River and go camping. Hope that helps!

Definitely. Speaking of travel within Florida, it begs the question... I know in Miami, flights throughout the Caribbean are fairly cheap and accessible, how much more are they from the Panhandle area?

Those are some AWESOME pictures and an AWESOME blog, Skeptic. Thank you so kindly! Is that really how it looks in person? While it might not be "Keys" level, it looks way better than what a lot of the crappy youtube videos tend to show. Do you have any videos? Again, if that's what viz is normally like I wouldn't mind one bit.

Thanks, the diving along the panhandle can be very good. I don't usually shoot video, just photos but I use strobes, it's important to bring out the vibrant colors. On days where the visibility is 40+ when we get a bit more bluish water it can be excellent, particularly for wide angle shooting.

I agree though, it's probably not the keys, but I've really enjoyed the local diving and I initially thought I'd just be a vacation diver when I got certified.

A few folks in our local dive club dove St. Andrews and Destin Jetty last weekend and posted a report, they had 40 ft of visibility and saw a juvenile green turtle and lots of tropical fish making their way back as the water warms up.

Yeah, to me anything with visibility 30+ feet is just fine. Sure, 100+ is fun but not needed. Also if you want 100+ you could always go dip in the springs, right? To me, with 30+ feet you can generally see pretty well around you, keep good track of your buddy and other divers, etc. That's just my opinion.

Yeah, personally with less than 15 feet keeping up with a buddy starts getting tough (camera) but greater than 30 feet is sufficient for me to really enjoy the dive and sights, with that vis wide angle shooting can workout.

It's exciting descending the anchor line checking my depth and realizing I can already see the 85' bottom from 40', those are always great dives.

I like to get in a handful of springs dives a year too, the vis is typically endless, it rinses my gear and it's a nice change.

I wasn't aware viz even got that good in the Panhandle. To me, 40' is more than enough to have a broad field of vision. I was under the impression that you were always in 15' muck. Also, FlyingDiver, your Album is incredible too. Between you and Skeptic's beautiful photos it might be enough to push me into moving to the Panhandle some day!

It's when you get around Mobile Bay and all to the West where you get the muck. Know that song "Mississippi Mud"? Between Mobile Bay and the Mississippi Delta it's a real mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom