Paper or Plastic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ixy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We all know you used to have the preference between your grocery bags, it seems there isn't much selection anymore with your choice of material that your regulators are made of as well.

Well which material you like your regulator made of more metal and plastic?

Metal. Most of my 2nds are old Scubapro 109s and 156s. I pick them up on ebay, some at very cheap prices. Those cheap ones are usually a little ugly but still my favorites. If I happen to drop one on something, I'm more concerned about damaging whatever it hits than of any damage to the regulator.

Performance is not quite as good as 2nds like the S600 and D-series, but pretty damn close.

Metal, for sure.

The reasons have been pointed out many times.

Not quite sure, but you're complaining that regulators are only made of metal or plastic, right? No variety of materials? Would you suggest we start carving regs out of wood? Or perhaps we can wittle them from soap. I'm not sure what your gripe is. Are you upset that there are only so many metals to choose from? If brass, monel, and titanium aren't enough choices(amogst others), then you need to put on your metellurgy hat and get crackin'. As far as the plastics used, again, I'm not sure what your gripe is. What, exactly, are you upset about? Not having paper regulators!?!?!??

Sounds to me like the OP is trying to get a sense of whether divers in 2009 would prefer their second stages to be made out of metal or plastic, but...I could be mistaken.

In any event, while I'd prefer to have chrome-plated brass ScubaPro second stages in fact all six of my SP regs have polymer second stages, and they work great. I do still have a 1982 Dacor Pacer regulator with a brass second stage, which was the first regulator I ever bought, and it still works great also.

FWIW.

YMMV.

Doc

Plastic bags can be recycled into regulators.

Wire or wood?

Plastic bags can be recycled into regulators.

Good point. I wonder if plastic 2nd stages can be recycled into plastic bags :D :D

I MUCH prefer metal, but plastic works just fine on the ones I've tried.

Titanium. My thoughts on Atomics Second stages were just confirmed again when I got one that had been in storage for about 6 years, out here in the wilds. The hoses, the first stage (not Atomic), and the gauges, were all shot, corroded to hell. The Atomic Second stage was pristine, and I took it straight out diving. (The SPG's needle actually corroded in two!)

So for me Titanium, and plastic. But not chrome or brass. There is a reason why they worry about the plastic drifting around in the ocean. It will never go away. (Well that and it floats.)

Back
Top Bottom