Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
So what next? A bill of rights for restaurants, emergency rooms, long lines at the super market. If you don't like the service someone is providing, don't patronize them.

Thank you, a voice of reason.

Just tell them you need to get off the plane.

Don't ask, tell them. I cannot believe how often people forfeit their rights.

catherine96821:
Just tell them you need to get off the plane.

Don't ask, tell them. I cannot believe how often people forfeit their rights.

Don't forget that - once you're on the plane (in the U.S.) that flight attendants can and will have you arrested for disorderly conduct.

TxHockeyGuy:
This same thing happened to me about 4 years ago coming back from Mexico and landing in DFW. The only difference is my pilot pulled into a terminal without authorization after only a little more than an hour. I know it was without authorization as the ground crews were trying to stop us from pulling in and wouldn't move the walkway over to the airplane. They eventually did another 10 minutes later and we all got off. There were some rather heated words exchanged between our pilot and some official. Since our pilot was Mexican he was probably much more willing to break the rules here where than an American pilot as there probably isn't a whole lot they can do to him.
Damn right - any pilot with guts would do the right thing - except there goes the career, pension, house mortgage, etc.

Nah, if we don't like the service of a restaurant or store, we can leave. Locked in a metal tomb, you got to escape.

I can see a need for legal protection. Otherwise, an airline is going to do it again - even with gates available and transport buses on the grounds.

Don't forget that - once you're on the plane (in the U.S.) that flight attendants can and will have you arrested for disorderly conduct.
It takes a lot to arrest a pretty lady. You & I are at risk, tho.

Not sure how being kept on a plane for 8 hours is like waiting in line at a restaurant or a store. I guess if Walmart and Safeway was locking me or my family in the building for 8 hours at a time with no bathrooms or water, I'd want a law to prevent that as well.

But then if someone I know calls up and says "I can't pick up the kids because I'm still waiting in line after 4 hours in this express lane", I'd have to say "have you taken your meds today?"

And if you die in an emergency room after waiting for 2-8 hours, I guarentee you that legal action will follow. Laws do exist to protect lives.

I have waited 5 hours between boarding a Singapore Air flight at JFK and taking off for the 22 hour flight to Singapore. So did the other 400(?) people on the plane--patiently. Had I been given the option of deplaning, it would've just created more inconvenience in my life. I had to be back at work and I didn't relish a night at the JFK Ramada.

Of course, if I had been in the economy cabin I would've gone ballistic.:D

dlndavid:
If you don't like the service someone is providing, don't patronize them.

I agree. After 2 hours, I would decide I don't like their service and demand to be let off the plane. And I believe everyone should have to right to do just that.

And I have left a store after shopping after waiting 30 minutes in the checkout line. Just leave the cart and go. That's my right and within my ability. But when the Walmart greeter tells me I can't leave because I left a cart full of things in the aisle.... :no

Darn 1st class flyers, but I do ask for exit row or bulkhead for more leg room. :pilot:

These things happen, how often? Not near as much as it doesn't happen.
Having legislators getting involved is probably not required, maybe the FAA can resolve this issue.

Of course, if I had been in the economy cabin I would've gone ballistic.
I am surprised many don't....??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom