Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis et al,

I hear that the airlines don't want the departure times delayed and their stats "dinged" Once passengers are boarded, they go down as "departed on time". Of course they won't arrive on time.... but I hear it is an attempt to keep the numbers competitive. Which is wrong. That's why I don't mind fibbing to get out of situations.

Plus..if they need the gate, and don't want to deal with the passengers..they stick us on the plane "in holding" on the tarmack.

Another thing, there is a "rule XXX" that requires them to rebook you on another airline if delayed by anything other than weather, I think.

catherine96821:
Dennis et al,

I hear that the airlines don't want the departure times delayed and their stats "dinged" Once passengers are boarded, they go down as "departed on time". Of course they won't arrive on time.... but I hear it is an attempt to keep the numbers competitive. Which is wrong. That's why I don't mind fibbing to get out of situations.

Plus..if they need the gate, and don't want to deal with the passengers..they stick us on the plane "in holding" on the tarmack.

Another thing, there is a "rule XXX" that requires them to rebook you on another airline if delayed by anything other than weather, I think.[/
QUOTE]

You are right....but they will not tell you about this rule

catherine96821:
Dennis et al,

Another thing, there is a "rule XXX" that requires them to rebook you on another airline if delayed by anything other than weather, I think.
I understand that is all correct. They can show those flights as on time departures if they don't give up and return to terminal. All the way around, if they can fly the planes and move the bodies, then they can sell other seats on other flights. So they bluffed, so what if a few hundred people endured hardships.

DandyDon:
If they'd waited a couple of hours before requesting assistance, maybe - but five hours before giving in and asking for evacuation - cannot agree.

I can't argue with that. You're right, they should have done better. But, that's why these people are getting free flights and not paying for the one they were on.

No one else got off the ground either, and most likely, since it was weather related, they won't get diddley-squat. They sat in the terminals at JFK, waiting, eating crappy food (unless you really like Dunkin' Donuts), using dirty bathrooms, just like the folks on the plane.

I'm just saying that it isn't all that much worse to sit on the plane for 11 hours than it is to sit in a terminal for 11 hours. It's worse, but it's not cruel and unusual worse, it's not criminal worse, and it's not act of Congress worse.

howarde:
I would call the airline's customer service center (from my cell phone) and tell them that we're stuck on the tarmac, and my next phone call is to the local news.

Calling customer service can be a waste as some airlines (such as American) now only have contact with customer relations (as they call it) via email or fax. :11: So if stuck on the tarmac call the local news.

In general despite what the airlines might state as their policy whether it's on the conditions of carriage (check their website) they all just make it up as they go along. So unless you actually take legal action you're not going to get anywhere with the airline.

My own experiences here.

Last November, I was stuck inside an Air New Zealand flight for 3 hours, somewhere in the middle of LAX (and nowhere in sight of the terminal buildings), while they attempted to fix a cargo door.

I can understand when a sudden change of weather traps your plane out in the tarmac, and you can't go anywhere. That happened to me at BWI when a sudden (and I mean sudden -- it was sunny 30 minutes earlier) violent thunderstorm rolled in. I looked out the windows and saw several planes parked side-by-side, waiting for the storm to end. I could also feel the plane being buffeted side-to-side by the winds. If I were the pilot, I wouldn't move either.

BUT, there's a big difference between that and what happened to me that November. From what an ANZ representative told me, the mechanics had been working on the cargo door for quite some time, and was the reason for the delay. They THOUGHT they would have it fixed by the time the 9 PM scheduled departure time. So they parked the plane at a remote stand (for those who don't know what it is, it's little more than a jetway with an elevator down to ground level, plus a small enclosed waiting area) to conduct the repairs, and bussed us over there, hedging their bets that the repairs would be done by the time the last passenger fastens his/her seatbelt and the last piece of luggage is stuck in the cargo hold.

Unfortunately they lost that bet. But it was the passengers who paid the price.

Once on board, we waited. For 3 hours. No that's not as bad as the 11 hours those JetBlue passengers endured, and no the toilets didn't overflow. But I'll tell you, being squashed in the middle seat between two large guys for an additional 3 hours, on top of the usual 14 hour flight to Auckland, was not fun.

On top of that, even though it was a cool November evening, the interior of that 747 got uncomfortably hot with the heat and C02 being emitted by myself and 391 of my fellow passengers, plus the crew, for that 3 hour period. I guess ANZ wanted to teach us Americans a thing or two about Global Warming. I hate to think what it would have been like had that been a typical August day in Los Angeles.

The flight attendants did the best they could by serving non-alcoholic beverages and some light snacks, but no they didn't turn on the entertainment system.

Why I feel it's truly an avoidable situation on the part of ANZ is that they boarded us BEFORE the problem was fixed, hoping not to screw up their "on-time" record. Then, when they realized that leaving on-time was a hopeless cause, rather than return us back to the terminal, they simply left us there, because it was far more convenient than bussing us back and offloading our luggage. Convenience, not overwhelming circumstances, was the reason. It was a decision made by someone in a climate-controlled environment whose chair isn't attached permanently with a mere 32 inches of leg space and who wasn't squashed between two large guys.

No, I won't fly ANZ any more, for this and for other things that happened on the same trip with this airline (I mentioned my woes in another thread). But, someone mentioned that if you were stuck in a long line in say Wal-Mart or something, you'd simply drop your items and go elsewhere. But, once on board an aircraft, you are now obligated to follow the rules and directions of the cabin crew, or face Federal charges. It's not just a matter of walking away.

I don't know if a new law is the answer to this. But IMHO, the airlines simply aren't listening to their customers. They're hoping that in six months, we'll forget what happened to those people on that JetBlue flight.

[[the airlines simply aren't listening to their customers. They're hoping that in six months, we'll forget what happened to those people on that JetBlue flight.]]rondawg
Amen.

They might be listening to the wrong people, like some of the people in this thread that think it is the normal unpleasantness of modern travel. We don't care about their precious on-time stats, get us off the damn plane. WE DID NOT PAY TO SIT ON A RUNWAY. WE PAID TO FLY

Diver Dennis:
Unfortunately, legislation will translate into higher airfares.

I would really like you to explain why that would be?

This is not a bill to charge taxes or make the airlines fly people for free.

If the airlines never mistreat a passenger, then none of the penalties being suggested would be imposed against the airline. This is like a traffic ticket. You run the red light and you pay a fine. You follow the rules and everything is great.

And as a few people said - "they're working to fix it so it won't happen again so we don't need a law" But didn't they say that back in 1999? And then again in Dec 2006? Some people's idea of "never again" :shakehead

Back
Top Bottom