Passport needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar:
We pride ourselves on being a true cultural melting pot, but that doesn't mean that prejudices do not exist.

Prejudices exist everywhere so why is Hawaii being singled out? What is the difference of a New Yorker moving south or an east coaster moving to the west coast there prejudice exists as well.

goofystan:
Prejudices exist everywhere so why is Hawaii being singled out?

Ummm . . . maybe because this thread is about Hawaii? Not sure where you're getting the impression that we're "singling out" Hawaii - as if nowhere else has prejudices.

This sub-topic originally started by a comment that the locals "hate" white mainlanders. Bluemagoo offered an analysis on a part the very complex nature of racial/social/political prejudices that exist in Hawaii. I offered a further opinion that relates more to residents than tourists. Simple as that.

goofystan:
What is the difference of a New Yorker moving south or an east coaster moving to the west coast there prejudice exists as well.

I don't know what the difference is regarding a New Yorker moving south or an east coaster moving to the west coast, as I'm not a New Yorker or someone from the east coast that moved west.

chepar:
Ummm . . . maybe because this thread is about Hawaii? Not sure where you're getting the impression that we're "singling out" Hawaii - as if nowhere else has prejudices.

Chepar- I was making a general statement that Hawaii is no different then other geographical areas where prejudice exists. Not directed at you. There are many places in the world that have unique circumstances such as Hawaii. There is no need to be defensive, you will not get an arguement here if that is what your looking for...

Isn't amazing how fast a thread can so sideways?

Hawaii is a bit different than other areas in that it has a small but vocal group that advocate independence / re-establishment of the Hawaiian nation. Kind of like as if the native American Indians wanted to take back the state of Massachusetts.

The only time I felt like I needed a passport in Maui was when the Nation of Hawaii reoccupied the park across the street from my condo.

goofystan:
Chepar- I was making a general statement that Hawaii is no different then other geographical areas where prejudice exists. Not directed at you. There are many places in the world that have unique circumstances such as Hawaii. There is no need to be defensive, you will not get an arguement here if that is what your looking for...

It seemed that you were going a bit on the "offensive" by asking why Hawaii was being singled out - and then asking how the prejudices that exist in Hawaii were different than the examples you pointed out. Perhaps you did not mean your question to imply that prejudices that exist for a New Yorker moving south (your example) were the same as what exists here - but the way you phrased your question made it sound that way.

So while I'm not defensive on this topic (I recall that I agreed with bluemagoo that prejudice exists here) - I admit that the phrasing of your question got my back up a bit. I participate in many travel related forums and it is not uncommon for me to encounter someone with no frame of reference other than having been a 2 week visitor here to make comments about the racial/social/political issues that exist.

As you said, Hawaii has unique circumstances as do many other places in the world. So if we ignore your original question then, I guess we're in agreement - prejudice exists everywhere.

chepar:
It seemed that you were going a bit on the "offensive" by asking why As you said, Hawaii has unique circumstances as do many other places in the world. So if we ignore your original question then, I guess we're in agreement - prejudice exists everywhere.

Yes, I see how the question I posed may have been taken not as intended. I am an Instructor, asking questions in such a manner is habitual. I go to Hawaii yearly for three to four weeks at a time and have several friends that reside there. I have never encountered any issues. IMO Hawaii is a lot more friendlier then Houston and many other cities that I have been to. It is a breath of fresh air to go to such a nice place where the people are warm. Here in Texas we have a group that wants to re-establish the Republic of Texas and seperate from the United States as well.

Scubagolf:
Believe it or not, there's a small but vocal group that wants to separate far northern California and southern Oregon and form a new state, The State of Jefferson.

http://www.jeffersonstate.com/
well, there's another movement that wants to take British Columbia, Alberta, Alaska, the Yukon, Oregon, Washington and California to form the country of "Cascadia" -- it would essentially be the "have" provinces and states that get shafted out of the federal money, thus be very rich in itself, in addition to controlling all trade between the United States (and Canada) and the Orient.

It's very well thought out, but I don't think there's any possibility of the US and Canada letting us go without a fight! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom