Paying a Divemaster (or not)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll just echo what everyone else said, if they're offering to dive with you and have said nothing else, it's probably just as a dive-buddy, and no compensation is expected.

I usually dive solo, but when I spot a brand-new diver, who doesn't have a dive-buddy, I'll often offer to dive with them. Reasons include:
  • Ensuring they're safe, and being there in case they have trouble.
  • Making them feel welcome in the dive community.
  • Offering a couple (free) simple tips, if I think it'll help nudge them improve
I'm pretty sure 99% of other people are more or less on the same page, who make a casual offer to be a dive-buddy as you described. I personally wouldn't want or expect a beer after, but showing appreciation isn't a bad thing.

As far as the "Divemaster" title, I find it kinda silly and meaningless. It just means they've paid money to take several classes, or happen to be a dive-guide of some sort. I usually don't tell fellow divers anything about certification level, etc, unless it has any meaningful impact or relevance on the planned dive.

I'll just echo what everyone else said, if they're offering to dive with you and have said nothing else, it's probably just as a dive-buddy, and no compensation is expected.

I usually dive solo, but when I spot a brand-new diver, who doesn't have a dive-buddy, I'll often offer to dive with them. Reasons include:
  • Ensuring they're safe, and being there in case they have trouble.
  • Making them feel welcome in the dive community.
  • Offering a couple (free) simple tips, if I think it'll help nudge them improve
I'm pretty sure 99% of other people are more or less on the same page, who make a casual offer to be a dive-buddy as you described. I personally wouldn't want or expect a beer after, but showing appreciation isn't a bad thing.

As far as the "Divemaster" title, I find it kinda silly and meaningless. It just means they've paid money to take several classes, or happen to be a dive-guide of some sort. I usually don't tell fellow divers anything about certification level, etc, unless it has any meaningful impact or relevance on the planned dive.
Agree with all you say. The DM course wasn't exactly a walk in the park (well, maybe that was just me). There are a lot of "components".

I'm not a divemaster, but I think showing appreciation in tangible and intangible ways is pretty important simply as a member of a dive club/diving community, whether or not any money changes hands.
Also I agree with SlugMug sentiment but will emphasize importance of communication to make sure everyone is on the same page goes far beyond avoiding being impolite: everyone is responsible for their own safety (absolute...) and their dive buddies (various degrees...). It's worth being aware of if in instructor/student roll verses an instructor and a student casually diving together, which easily blurs distinctions where one may think, "I'm safe because I'm diving with a divemaster/instructor/etc." and other one is purely diving as buddies that is a false assumption they don't need to be in professional mode of extra diligent attention to a student...

Unfortunately......with compensation comes liability....which sucks. Probably better for these DM's if they just leave their DM cards in their pants and just take you diving as a fellow dive club member....

Then after the dives, cold ones and lunch or the like would be cool for them and also for you.
Liability can be attached without payment.

If the diver says, "Hey! Let's go diving!", then I would assume we are just having fun together. If there is anything in the planning that calls for him to be anything more, then there is a potential liability issue involved. If there is any sense that you should be in any way depending upon him because of his professional status, then liability could be attached. In that case, just to be sure, he should have you sign a waiver.

I agree. If the DM offfered and neither of you had not mentioned hiring a dive guide, I think it is as a buddy. Treating them to lunch is a nice way of showing your appreciation. When I was a DM, I pretty much worked for passage on diveboats, helped out instructors in classes (they showed their appreciation for the assist) and asked a lot of people in the dive club if they wanted to go diving with me because I needed a buddy. No one goes into being a DM for the money.

Hi all!

I am a member of a local dive club, and we have quite a few new DMs in the club. Several have offered to take me out since I am a new diver. I'm wondering if I should offer to pay them? I also don't want to offend someone who really does just want to go out and be an experienced buddy with a newbie. But maybe there's an unknown thing that is considered good form...a gift card, a bottle of wine, etc. Thoughts? And thank you in advance :)

Because the Internet is so impersonal, I look at the profiles of site members to try to put an avatar or screen name with a story. I see you are a mental health therapist. Perhaps one day when the DM's lose their minds thanks to the nature of the diving industry, you can pay their kindnesses back by running some pro bono group therapy sessions before they do something fatal like start becoming instructors.

Because the Internet is so impersonal, I look at the profiles of site members to try to put an avatar or screen name with a story. I see you are a mental health therapist. Perhaps one day when the DM's lose their minds thanks to the nature of the diving industry, you can pay their kindnesses back by running some pro bono group therapy sessions before they do something fatal like start becoming instructors.
Yes. But DMs who do it for perks, tips and free air deserve what they get, as do instructors who get paid peanuts. If no one worked for those wages things may be quite different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom