Paying a Divemaster (or not)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tacy69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all!

I am a member of a local dive club, and we have quite a few new DMs in the club. Several have offered to take me out since I am a new diver. I'm wondering if I should offer to pay them? I also don't want to offend someone who really does just want to go out and be an experienced buddy with a newbie. But maybe there's an unknown thing that is considered good form...a gift card, a bottle of wine, etc. Thoughts? And thank you in advance :)

Delicate situation. I would assume if a fellow club member offered to dive with me that they're doing it in their capacity as a fellow club member, for the sake of mentoring a less experienced member, which I would think is one of the reasons dive clubs exists. If it were me, I would probably just be blunt and ask.

Myself as a DM if I ask somebody if they want to come dive with me or I ask if I can dive with them I don't expect payment or a tip I'm just another diver. We do it all the time with new divers "hey want to tag a long with us". Now if I'm working a class or leading a dive for a shop then that is were payment comes in.

I had someone offer me money once, I turned it down. Said to give it to their charity of choice.

If they offered, it was probably just as a dive buddy. Take them to lunch after the dive(s). Part of diving is the post dive meal when you yak about diving.
Probably this. If the DM offers to dive with you that indicates to me just being friendly. DMs should be paid by the shop/charter they work for. Should be......

Typical tip in this situation is approximately 1 +-1 post dive beer. But no one will be offended by the offer of more beer or dinner.

Maybe offer them a coffee or maybe pay for their air fills. If I offer a newer diver to tag along I'm not expecting anything in return.

Unfortunately......with compensation comes liability....which sucks. Probably better for these DM's if they just leave their DM cards in their pants and just take you diving as a fellow dive club member....

Then after the dives, cold ones and lunch or the like would be cool for them and also for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom