PCP Airgun Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdeardorf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just getting back into diving after taking a few years off. Is it possible to fill my own tank using an Air Venturi 4500psi PCP airgun compressor? It has automatic shutoff so it stops at selected pressure. I would be adding a Nuvair scuba filter but would it be safe to breathe? Not worried about how long it takes to fill as it would only be used occasionally to fill my 80 cu aluminum tank for personal pool or shallow lake dives. More of a way to easily practice at home.

Everything I have heard about those, they are too small and will overheat and die. I have never heard of anyone being successful at using one.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Hope you can hang around and share in the fun.

Not familiar with that brand, but would have serious concerns that an air gun compressor doesn’t have the necessary filtration to provide breathing quality air. Recommend you start reading here: Compressor Filter System Theory - Scuba Engineer

Welcome to Scubaboard. Hope you can hang around and share in the fun.

Not familiar with that brand, but would have serious concerns that an air gun compressor doesn’t have the necessary filtration to provide breathing quality air. Recommend you start reading here: Compressor Filter System Theory - Scuba Engineer
Thanks, that article will be a good read and it’s just as I suspected with the clean air. Run time and overheating is not an issue as I can fill my 98 cu ft carbon tank (used to fill PCP airguns) to about 3600 psi in about 20 minutes. Unit has auto shut off if ever over heats but it never gets close. Concern was more on air quality and after scanning your article, think I’ll stick with local dive shop.

look forward to learning and re-learning as much as I can on this forum.

Not sure what your starting pressure is, but it sounds like you are pumping 3-4 CFM. That doesn't sound like the little PCP compressors that are the cheap eBay/Amazon specials.

Now I need to backtrack a little bit. Do you have a link to the actual compressor you are using? Since it doesn't sound like what I thought it was. Not saying it is a good idea, just I appear to be missing some compressor knowledge and want to fill in the gaps.

Not sure what your starting pressure is, but it sounds like you are pumping 3-4 CFM. That doesn't sound like the little PCP compressors that are the cheap eBay/Amazon specials.

Now I need to backtrack a little bit. Do you have a link to the actual compressor you are using? Since it doesn't sound like what I thought it was. Not saying it is a good idea, just I appear to be missing some compressor knowledge and want to fill in the gaps.
Here is a link to the compressor. I think bigger concern is air quality. Scuba tank is smaller than the tanks I fill for the air gun so I think it would fill, just not sure I’d want to breathe it.

Here is a link to the compressor. I think bigger concern is air quality. Scuba tank is smaller than the tanks I fill for the air gun so I think it would fill, just not sure I’d want to breathe it.

The specs you posted say 52 minutes to fill a 74cf tank. You are saying 20 minutes to fill a 98cf tank. Either you linked the wrong compressor or something is way off. My guess would be you, 98 cf in 20 minutes is 5cfm, you aren't getting that with a 110v compressor that pumps to 4500 psi.

The specs you posted say 52 minutes to fill a 74cf tank. You are saying 20 minutes to fill a 98cf tank. Either you linked the wrong compressor or something is way off. My guess would be you, 98 cf in 20 minutes is 5cfm, you aren't getting that with a 110v compressor that pumps to 4500 psi.
my bad. you are correct. I never run my tanks dry and usually for me it is only 20-30 minutes to fill. Full tank would take longer. Still no overheating due to the water cooling feature. Regardless, wish it was easy to make breathing safe but not that big of a deal to go to the dive shop in town.

With a proper filter tower it is, in theory, possible. The shorter run times on a lot of these compressors will affect the life of the compressor. If it were me, I would contact Jim Sheldon in Wichita Kansas. A few months ago he had a Walter Kidde compressor for sale, minus the filter tower, for about $850 before shipping. It would be much better suited to your needs, in my opinion.

316-992-0505 is Jim's number. Great guy.

DW

With a proper filter tower it is, in theory, possible. The shorter run times on a lot of these compressors will affect the life of the compressor. If it were me, I would contact Jim Sheldon in Wichita Kansas. A few months ago he had a Walter Kidde compressor for sale, minus the filter tower, for about $850 before shipping. It would be much better suited to your needs, in my opinion.

316-992-0505 is Jim's number. Great guy.

DW
DW, thanks for the info. Considering most of the filter towers I see are from China, I think I will give Jim a call or just spend my money on other things and use the local dive shop. It was just to make it easy to work on a few practice skills in my pool.

Back
Top Bottom