Peacock Fatality Accident Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First time I went to JB I was convinced that a primary wasn't necessary (by a well meaning buddy). Just couldn't be silted out, just stop swimming the flow blows you out etc. Afterwards I told him it didn't like it, it didn't feel like serious cave diving to me, and that I probably wouldn't do it again.
Personally, I don't see the need for one, and don't run one. Once in the cave zone however, even a 2ft long jump is going to get a reel placed.

That's pretty messed up that a buddy would attempt to talk you out of it however.

They should put a sign up just past the gold line at JB saying, "WELCOME TO FLORIDA"

:D

Actually it was fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I don't know where the culture that the line is a "hassle" comes from, excessive familarity??

Personally, I don't see the need for one, and don't run one.

I don't see the need for one there either, but we still usually run one (the exception usually being if there are multiple teams that we know with reels already in place). To me it goes back to my previous statement about once you find a reason to start breaking rules, it's a habit that gets easier.

I don't know where the culture that the line is a "hassle" comes from, excessive familarity??
I think it's the laid back small town, easy going attitude extended to cave diving. I'm consistently baffled at all the drinking and driving that takes place, too. Go to a NACD social and look at how many people drive home drunk.

First time I went to JB I was convinced that a primary wasn't necessary (by a well meaning buddy). Just couldn't be silted out, just stop swimming the flow blows you out etc. Afterwards I told him it didn't like it, it didn't feel like serious cave diving to me, and that I probably wouldn't do it again.

I went back with a different buddy a year later and we scootered, running a reel. I have a few hundred OW dives with scooters, including running line on occasion but never in JB-like current. My attempts at keeping ahold of a standard gavin on a stage in flow while doing a tieoff practically on my knees were downright comical. Its a good thing its practically impossible to silt-out JB's cavern. Only way to get better/proficient is to do it. But dammit there was a continuous guideline.

Dont think I've EVER seen anyone scootering run a line at JB.

I went back with a different buddy a year later and we scootered, running a reel. I have a few hundred OW dives with scooters, including running line on occasion but never in JB-like current. My attempts at keeping ahold of a standard gavin on a stage in flow while doing a tieoff practically on my knees were downright comical. Its a good thing its practically impossible to silt-out JB's cavern. Only way to get better/proficient is to do it. But dammit there was a continuous guideline.

try it with a magnum :wink:
won't be doing that again

I was being sarcastic Richard. I don't see the issue, but I'll gladly run one if my buddy is at all uncomfortable with it. Talking a buddy out of doing anything safety related just seems to me like asking for a panic situation.

Talking a buddy out of doing anything safety related just seems to me like asking for a panic situation.

Wasn't so much talking me out of it, more like explaining how the cave just didn't require a reel. It probably doesn't, yet it just doesn't feel like cave diving without one. AND I enjoyed putting it in even with the CF factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom