Peacock open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clarification- a team may go in for a permitted scientific dive to collect post flood data...
The biologists at the State level are always very interested in the data collected for these permitted scientific dives. Fauna counts are done as well as measurements of O2 levels, temperatures, turbidity and other parameters.

As the divers swim from Orange Grove to Peacock I the data collector takes a sample of the above data every 10 seconds. This data is analyzed and compared to other data samples using a statistical analysis of variance. Its hot stuff conducted by the NFSA divers.

These measurements are done with the "Troll" data collector that was made possible by donations to the NFSA by individuals as well as corporations and the State of Florida.

The biologists at the State level are always very interested in the data collected for these permitted scientific dives. Fauna counts are done as well as measurements of O2 levels, temperatures, turbidity and other parameters.

As the divers swim from Orange Grove to Peacock I the data collector takes a sample of the above data every 10 seconds. This data is analyzed and compared to other data samples using a statistical analysis of variance. Its hot stuff conducted by the NFSA divers.

These measurements are done with the "Troll" data collector that was made possible by donations to the NFSA by individuals as well as corporations and the State of Florida.

It's great to see all the stuff the NFSA does. Makes me very proud to be a member.

We will not recommend opening the cave to the park manager until we get a minimum of 20-30 feet of visibility throughout the system. .

really? god forbid someone should be allowed to make an open water dive in orange grove with less than 30 feet of visibility... they might run into a tree and poke a hole in their dry suit and *gasP* get wet.

yep, we need to make sure all the water evaporates out of the springs before we get in them. There might be water in them...

definitely don't want to get into a wet spring.

*eyeroll*

really? god forbid someone should be allowed to make an open water dive in orange grove with less than 30 feet of visibility... they might run into a tree and poke a hole in their dry suit and *gasP* get wet.

yep, we need to make sure all the water evaporates out of the springs before we get in them. There might be water in them...

definitely don't want to get into a wet spring.

*eyeroll*
While I have my issues with the line committee holding the key, I'm not terribly motivated to dive Peacock when it's 15ft viz anyways. At least they save me gas money by not having to drive up there to check for myself.

While I have my issues with the line committee holding the key.

James,the line committee doesn't hold the key,but the park manager does. This is an example of good landowner relations that give cave divers a positive view in the eye of the state. The park has no way of knowing line conditions,visibility etc,and that information is provided to them to make an informed decision. Would you like the old days? The gate would be closed weeks,months at a time,and someone from the park would randomly show up and make an assessment,hence the spring would stay closed longer than is should have been.

While I have my issues with the line committee holding the key,

After reading the agreement between the State park and the NFSA line committee I am at a loss how you come up with the line committee holding the key.

Read it again, James.

The NFSA begs for volunteers ... rarely does anyone volunteer. Then when volunteers do something they catch grief from the sideliners...

:no:

---------- Post added April 8th, 2013 at 07:54 PM ----------

Dude..whoever you are..call the park manager, write a letter or heaven forbid...volunteer...

...Dude..whoever you are..call the park manager, write a letter or heaven forbid...volunteer...

Jim, I'd be careful of suggesting volunteer activities to people who have no interest in doing anything acc. to established norms... I seriously doubt the NFSA wants anyone volunteering who (on multiple occasions) has ranted and raved about how unnecessary they feel training is, and how no one can tell them whether they can or can not go into caves without training (bc they can learn everything they need to know from books). IJS. :idk:

Jim, I'd be careful of suggesting volunteer activities to people who have no interest in doing anything acc. to established norms... I seriously doubt the NFSA wants anyone volunteering who (on multiple occasions) has ranted and raved about how unnecessary they feel training is, and how no one can tell them whether they can or can not go into caves without training (bc they can learn everything they need to know from books). IJS. :idk:

Thanks Kate...I presume we are discussing this swampy459 thing...So....swampything459 go take a flying leap.

Last edited by a moderator:
James,the line committee doesn't hold the key,but the park manager does. This is an example of good landowner relations that give cave divers a positive view in the eye of the state. The park has no way of knowing line conditions,visibility etc,and that information is provided to them to make an informed decision. Would you like the old days? The gate would be closed weeks,months at a time,and someone from the park would randomly show up and make an assessment,hence the spring would stay closed longer than is should have been.

I was just implying I think divers who have taken full cave could make a judgement call. I wasn't stating I despise NFSA or that I want to see the place locked up for months on end. If the park gives divers the either or option between what we have now and what you suggest, then what we have now is clearly the better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom