Peacock open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Kate...I presume we are discussing this swampy459 thing...So....swampything459 go take a flying leap.

who is willing to make a dive with less than 30 feet of visibility and willing to get *gasp* wet.

I've been in Troy when the visibility was five feet from a silly open water class roto-tilling the bottom and survived. You can do it too (even if you are a trained cave diver)

at least get them to let us jump in orange grove if we aren't planning on going caving. practicing low vis diving wouldn't be a terrible thing for honing our diving skills.

*edit* oh, and at least dive with me once before calling me a moron, just because I believe a person in a free country should have the right to do whatever they want to do as long as it hurts only themselves, even if its stupid or doesn't follow the established norm as decided by *you* , doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to do something that's going to get me killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
*edit* oh, and at least dive with me once before calling me a moron, just because I believe a person in a free country should have the right to do whatever they want to do as long as it hurts only themselves, even if its stupid or doesn't follow the established norm as decided by *you* , doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to do something that's going to get me killed.

I have no dog in this fight but this is a silly thing to say. How many people die in caves because they feel just this way and then risk the lives of the people that go in to retrieve their dead body? Too many. And each and every single one of them could have been avoided by them simply following the common sense rules (i.e. stay the eff out of the caves if you are not cave trained or at least dive within your training......no jumps if your training does not allow for them....dive sixths if that is all your training allows for etc.)

Answer me this question: How did this very attitude work out for Ben McDaniels?

How did this very attitude work out for Ben McDaniels?

Seems to have worked well-- it was a good cover for his escape.

Seems to have worked well-- it was a good cover for his escape.

I agree however the point still holds true. Too many people have this attitude of "I am better than those people that the rules were written for". That is obviously what Swampy's approach to diving is.

But apparently it has failed us

Swampy459 has expressed his point of view quite persistently in other threads. Many people have been quite eloquent in their rebuttals, with no effect whatsoever. I don't think anyone is gong to change his mind. And it doesn't mean he is gong to die. Not everyone who enters a cave without training dies. It just changes the odds significantly.

As Damon Runyon said, "It may be that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong - but that's the way to bet."

Thanks to the NFSA for their dedication and hard work. Were I closer to the action, I would love to volunteer!

The problem with diving near the mouth of a cave in low vis is that you might accidentally swim in without realizing it. This is especially true if you have a light on to mitigate the loss of light from the turbidity and tannin. You find and swim next to the wall not being able to see that there's another wall just a few feet away forming a cave. The Park has a responsibility to the citizens of Florida to keep an unsafe area closed to those who are too stoopid to know any better. This keeps them alive so that they can complain bitterly on the internet ultimately creating more revenue for me. Again, thanks!

Thanks to the NFSA for their dedication and hard work. Were I closer to the action, I would love to volunteer!

The problem with diving near the mouth of a cave in low vis is that you might accidentally swim in without realizing it. This is especially true if you have a light on to mitigate the loss of light from the turbidity and tannin. You find and swim next to the wall not being able to see that there's another wall just a few feet away forming a cave. The Park has a responsibility to the citizens of Florida to keep an unsafe area closed to those who are too stoopid to know any better. This keeps them alive so that they can complain bitterly on the internet ultimately creating more revenue for me. Again, thanks!

Great post. Nobody wants the springs to be closed for diving,because it hurts the park in the long run. I don't mean the very nominal fee you pay to dive,but the number of visitors per year count toward the park being in the red or black.

The Park has a responsibility to the citizens of Florida to keep an unsafe area closed to those who are too stoopid to know any better.

The supreme court ruled, in Castle Rock v. Gonzalez, that there is no constitutional duty for a government to protect its citizens.

Personally I'd prefer the government not even try to protect me. I'll take care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom