Pegasus Thruster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was able to use one a couple of weeks back on the Ophelia Bryan the unit is much smaller than any unit I have used prior, thrust was more than adequate for my 6Ft 240lb standard BC with 18lbs of integrated weight. simple on/off control switch, I dont know about battery life but it never slowed during my 50 minute run and I was on the button constantly. Since its on your back battery change is not possible without a buddy, and then he/she has to be familiar with the mechanism, but it uses aerospace type pit pins for mounting very robust. Dean is a standup individual, he is very approachable and willing to show the Pegasus off at any chance, he likes to dive and even entered a race down at the Vandenberg a couple of weeks ago although I believe he had multiple thrusters mounted on his setup. Things to note you can shed about 3lbs of lead, be sure you take a long Giant stride off the boat and realize when fumbling around on board the boat that you have the equivalent dimension another 8 inches hanging off of you (at tank bottom).
for a person like me who is management challenged when diving this thing rocks. Omar

Last edited:
Hello Everyone! Pegasus Thruster is the only hands free, tank mounted Diver Propulsion Vehicle in production.  It's a DPV that can be either mounted on your tank or a back plate for freediving. It is made of aircraft grade 6061 marine sealed anodized aluminum and high impact plastic for the shroud and prop.  The average speed is between 165 to 200 Feet per minute depending on the dynamics of the individual diver. It is a powerful unit for we have taken part in underwater wreck races and have won against most of the units on the market. The units and batteries have been rated to 400 Feet and each one is pressure tested after being built to 250 Feet before they are sent out.

The battery in the Recreational Unit is the same exact battery that is in the commercial unit. The difference comes from the electronics and chargers By using a charger with less functions and differing electronics we are able to bring the price down for the recreational market. The amperage draw from the motor is from 9 to 14 Amps at peak, and averages around 12 Amps.

This product is an extremely useful tool to divers, it just depends in what form they choose to use it. Recreational divers have a blast cruising over wrecks, looking for lobsters, carrying cameras, and those that have sub par cardiovascular fitness save their energy and cut their air consumption in half increasing their personal safety on a dive. We have a high demand in the commercial unit as well with police divers, port authority, bridge inspection, etc.

The unit itself is underwater plug-able so you can also change the batteries underwater. With the unit being mounted on the top of a tank it allows the prop to take in clean water and send clean water out. If something were to get tangled in the the prop there is a clutch so it will disengage. As soon as it’s removed it reengages, this way the unit does not continuing trying to run and burn up the motor. Take a moment to look at the website. The Recreational Model was released on October 01, 2010 and is only $1,495.00 US Dollars.  You can even mount doubles! I’m a representative of Pegasus Thruster and have tried to clear up some information on the blog. If you have other questions please don’t hesitate to ask, we pride ourselves to provide the most accurate information and always try to get people in the water to experience the Thruster. If your truly interested in the product or want to try it please contact us and we will do our best to set up a dive for you...

It is a powerful unit for we have taken part in underwater wreck races and have won against most of the units on the market

Can you please clarify, I thought you guys were competeting in the "Modified" class and had 2-3 units strapped to a single diver? Have you also competed in the races with a single unit on a single diver? If so what class were you enterened in and are the resluts posted anywhere or could you share them?

I have a friend that is very intrested in your product and I'm thinking of one for my wife who always wants her camera in hand. We met part of your team at the Ft. lauderdale Boat Show and will be taking you up on your offer for a try out when the weather starts to coperate. Your product is clearly well made and well designed, so please understand no disrespect intended here, I am just woundering how it will keep up with a couple of scooters we already own.

Thanks,

Mitch

Mitch,

There have been four wreck races with Formula H20 this year. We have taken part in all four races, but in three of those races we have had an individual in the Modified Class as well as the Exhibition Class. Modified is having more than one propeller where we have had a diver with two Pegasus Thrusters, and Exhibition we’ve had a diver with one Pegasus Thruster. The units being raced as is are divided between the Exhibition and Recreational classes based on their performance. With one unit on in the Exhibition class we have always place first or second, sometimes both. For more information visit the website for the Wreck Racing League.

We appreciate your questions and desire to know more. We are both proud and comfortable with the performance of our product. Be sure to let us know when your ready to do a dive, it will answer a bunch of those questions your having. Hope to see you in the water soon!

Best,

Pegasus Thruster

The WRL website is disjointed and difficult to read. I'd greatly prefer a simple, scientific report produced in the manner of the Tahoe Benchmark.

I find it hard to believe this scooter can compete with the Dive Xtras Cuda, and the Silent Submersion Magnus, both of which use much larger motors and batteries to give high thrust and long burn times.

The WRL website says only that a diver with multiple Pegasus Thrusters won, but does not detail who lost.

I've seen the product in person and it looks very well made. It's a unique idea, and has many useful applications. I would love to see it compared at the Tahoe Benchmark.

I was looking at them and I was wondering. What happens when you get back aboard. You can't just go to the bench and sit down, they stick out past the bottom of the tank. Do they have some kind of quick disconnect. Can a diver remove it without assistance

The WRL website is disjointed and difficult to read. I'd greatly prefer a simple, scientific report produced in the manner of the Tahoe Benchmark.

I find it hard to believe this scooter can compete with the Dive Xtras Cuda, and the Silent Submersion Magnus, both of which use much larger motors and batteries to give high thrust and long burn times.

The WRL website says only that a diver with multiple Pegasus Thrusters won, but does not detail who lost.

I've seen the product in person and it looks very well made. It's a unique idea, and has many useful applications. I would love to see it compared at the Tahoe Benchmark.

I was shocked at the speed of the thing. It's superior speed is probably due to the fact that the propeller and shroud are designed like a propeller instead of that thing that Mako/Oceanic calls a propeller. It did not beat the Magnus or the Cuda 850 or 1150. It beat a stock Apollo, a stock Mako, a Torpedo, a Sea Doo, and a Sierra. I don't know how it did against the dual Hollis.

I was looking at them and I was wondering. What happens when you get back aboard. You can't just go to the bench and sit down, they stick out past the bottom of the tank. Do they have some kind of quick disconnect. Can a diver remove it without assistance

At the last race held on the Spree, she sat down of the bench, unpinned the unit from her tank, and shoved the tank into the rack without help. We have wide benches.

**It looks as though the Wreck Racing League website has not posted all the times and scores from each and every race. The newly started league has various classes which are a Recreational Class, Exhibition Classes, and a Modified Class, with also giving an award to the fastest one overall. Individuals wearing multiple units have won the Modified Class multiple times, also individuals wearing one unit have won the Exhibition Class. Pegasus Thruster has a Recreational Model that would like to compete in the Recreational Class however they say it goes to fast against the others and it has automatically been bumped up to Exhibition. The race has a lot to do with DPV design, weather components, and the dynamics of each individual racer. With that said, Pegasus Thruster has had various people race, but our most consistent racer is a female whom you may consider smaller than other racers, but not all. It’s about setting up a good team to race.

The Dive Xtra Cuda and Silent Submersion Magnus are both an excellent and fast scooter, there is no doubt about that. The Pegasus units do give them a run, in various aspects. Those three diver propulsion vehicles are used in different ways based on an individual divers needs. With that, the Pegasus Thruster units are a very competitive scooter with pricing starting at $1,495.00.

In regards to those wanting to see it compared in the Tahoe Benchmark... James Flenner from the Tahoe Benchmark, invited us at DEMA 2010 to take part in the next testing. We are more than happy to share our results when that is completed, we’re excited to be taking part!

**When your getting back on board the boat there are two ways to take off the unit. If there is a divemaster, crew member, or buddy on board they can removed the pin and release the unit off of the bracket allowing your tank to go back in your tank holder. The Pegasus units are also designed and patented to fit in a tank holder as well. If you do not have assistance, you can carefully sit down allowing some weight/pressure on the unit, remove your BCD and then lay your tank down on the bench and remove the pin followed by the unit from the bracket. Each diver has found their own personal comfortable way of doing it.

If your in the South Florida area and interested in the unit, we’d be more than happy to work with you by doing a demo!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom