Perfect Set of Tanks Poll

Which tanks would be in your ideal tank quiver?

• hp130, hp133 or Larger

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp120

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp117 or 119

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • lp95, lp104, lp108 or 112

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • hp100

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • lp85

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • hp80 or hp72

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • al100, al80, or al63

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • al40 or al30

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Under 23cuft tanks

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@BurhanMuntasser and @RyanT they are big and heavy, but they're very buoyant compared to most tanks. Almost 2lbs more buoyant than LP85's, and the LP131's that Eric mentioned are a pound more buoyant than that. Great for sidemount cave diving.

@Bierstadt Faber says that they can be filled to hydro pressures 100k times. That's 4000psi. I have yet to hear of a lp tank from cave country fail hydro and they get cave filled, and often stored at 3600psi+, daily for decades. If I had a choice, I would go with HP tanks every time, but the FX149's are quite uncommon and immensely expensive. The extra 2lbs of floaty that the 121's give me are worth it to me to go that route as well. If I was ocean diving, they would be FX149's since they're the same internal volume but don't have to worry about cave fills

lp72/al72 belong on the list far more than al100/al63/hp80/hp72

i would get rid of my hp80/al63, replace my al80s with al72s, and find a second luxfer al27

Here's the interesting rub. The older Worthington LP 85s are a different tank than the newer LP 85 Fabers. The Worthingtons are heavier (i.e. more metal) and remain negative when empty compared to the +2.3 lbs of buoyancy in the Fabers. I would not buy the new Faber LP 85, but I sure like my LP 85 Worthingtons. If buying new Fabers now, I would go with the HP 100s.

Actually there is no rub. You are misreading how the measurements are made. When looking at Faber cylinders they measure buoyancy sans valve where as Worthington measure with a valve. Once a valve is added so the comparison is apples to apples the buoyancy of the Faber is neutral whereas the Worthington's is negative one pound. Not a significant difference. However, the Worthingtons are still three pound heavier on land. That is six pounds with doubles which is significant.

I specifically bought Faber LP85s because they are neutral when empty and three pounds lighter on land than Worthingtons. By the time I add a backplate, can light, etc. I have more than enough ballast.

FWIW I recently put together a set of Faber LP76s and my hope was that they would be slightly lighter than my LP85s. Nope about the same and 20 cuft less gas.

lp72/al72 belong on the list far more than al100/al63/hp80/hp72

i would get rid of my hp80/al63, replace my al80s with al72s, and find a second luxfer al27
I've yet to hear of al72's. Why do they work so well for you?

smaller diameter makes them better for sidemount/stage/deco. same reason why lp85 is popular. you don't give up much capacity compared to a al80 and they are a few pounds lighter and less positive empty.

Actually there is no rub. You are misreading how the measurements are made. When looking at Faber cylinders they measure buoyancy sans valve where as Worthington measure with a valve. Once a valve is added so the comparison is apples to apples the buoyancy of the Faber is neutral whereas the Worthington's is negative one pound. Not a significant difference. However, the Worthingtons are still three pound heavier on land. That is six pounds with doubles which is significant.

I specifically bought Faber LP85s because they are neutral when empty and three pounds lighter on land than Worthingtons. By the time I add a backplate, can light, etc. I have more than enough ballast.

FWIW I recently put together a set of Faber LP76s and my hope was that they would be slightly lighter than my LP85s. Nope about the same and 20 cuft less gas.

not surprised the lp76 isn't much of a difference. i have a worthington lp77 that is nearly indistinguishable from my hp100s. did you consider going to vintage lp72s?

@tbone1004 and @Scared Silly, excellent point on the valves vs. no valves. Somehow I missed that previously, thanks! That does put the Fabers and Worthingtons closer together. Given the added weight/metal in the Worthingtons, you might think the difference would be bigger.

I love my HP80s. I have 2 pairs, a pair of painted ones and a pair of galvanized ones (latter bought used). THey're perfect for my height (5'5") and so much easier to deal with on land than AL80s. I tended to be head's up with AL80s, but trim has gotten much better with the HP80s. I'm even using them to SM and they trimmed out nicely (see pics in my Maiden Voyage SM thread).

I'll probably switch to HP100s when I start tech training in a few years.

The 2 AL80s I started out with are on long term loan to my regular dive buddy who is strictly a recreational diver. He thought he'd just rent, but the convenience of having tanks changed his mind. He's buying them from me.

I've basically switched to all lp108. Physical size is perfect for me especially as doubles

not surprised the lp76 isn't much of a difference (over lp85). i have a worthington lp77 that is nearly indistinguishable from my hp100s. did you consider going to vintage lp72s?

I actually tried twice to put together a set of lp72s. The first set was matched but one failed hydro. The second set, also matched was lined. The hydro shop pooched the liner as they left them wet. Once the liner is compromised they are done. I picked up the LP76 from another SB member.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom