Personal involvement in a scuba diving related emergency?

Personal invovement in a scuba diving related emergency?

• Lung expansion injury (AGE, CAGE)

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Decompression sickness (requiring immediate oxygen therapy at a minimum)

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Medical emergency (cardiac, etc.)

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Out of gas (includes equipment related)

Votes: 63 67.7%
  • Severe barotrauma (e.g. ruptured eardrum with vertigo)

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Severe marine envenomation, sting, bite

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Immersion pulmonary edema

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Oxygen toxicity seizures

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Severe, debilitating nitrogen narcosis

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 32 34.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'd have been your instructor I'd have signed off your Rescue Diver cert for managing that real-life rescue, never mind AOW!

Haha, you’re right about the Rescue diver cert!
We were at this flooded mine In Wisconsin to bring up some old mining carts that were in about 35 feet of water along with me being there to help and to be doing my Cert dives. And oh yeah, we retreated the carts too.
An eventful trip for sure!

Haha, you’re right about the Rescue diver cert!
We were at this flooded mine In Wisconsin to bring up some old mining carts that were in about 35 feet of water along with me being there to help and to be doing my Cert dives. And oh yeah, we retreated the carts too.
An eventful trip for sure!
Cool. So in addition to RD I'm signing off your Search and Recovery. Actually, if you were bringing up mining carts, let's make that Commercial Scuba as well. :cool:

An interesting option would be none of the above. I haven’t had any of those and my guess is a lot of divers would say the same thing. Since the requirement for this pole is to have experienced one of these catastrophes, it gives the impression that they are inevitable.
Yes. Think about the possibility of sliding through all diving free of accidents until you're too old to dive. Then about all the things you learned and trained for regarding emergencies. On the morbid side, I guess it's like figuring that all the things you (needlessly?) worried about your whole life mean nothing after you're gone.

I pulled a fellow diver and good friend from an imminent prop strike on the surface. We were conducting a drift dive in rather crappy seas with a group of relatively new divers. We all jumped and my friend, an older woman, had a minor gear issue at the surface that she attempted to resolve with her head down in the water. I remained at the surface with her while the rest of the group descended. She lost situational awareness and within seconds found herself under the swim platform. I couldn't warn her of the impending doom as she couldn't hear me, her head still down. I swam towards the boat to try to help her out. The boat was pitching in the seas pretty aggressively. I grabbed the swim platform with one hand and her first stage with the other and managed to muscle her and myself out of trouble. During the struggle I noticed the prop was spinning. It wasn't feathering in the current. It was in gear. Either intentionally or not, it doesn't really matter. The capt. swore up and down it wasn't in gear but I know what I saw. She escaped with a badly bruised ankle from kicking the strut.

It all happened quickly so there wasn't a whole lot of opportunity to do anything other than what I did. I think I did the right thing although I put myself in danger to do it. In hindsight I should have alerted the capt. to shut down as soon as I realized what was happening - even though the prop should be out of gear anyway....

Lessons relearned by her and myself - Always maintain situational awareness at the surface or whenever you are near the boat. 10 tons of pitching and rolling fiberglass and a big spinning cleaver are going to win every time.....

An interesting option would be none of the above. I haven’t had any of those and my guess is a lot of divers would say the same thing. Since the requirement for this pole is to have experienced one of these catastrophes, it gives the impression that they are inevitable.

Your still in the game CT-Rich, I may cop a heart attack on our next dive, ya never know!

Edit: Assuming that you'd do something other than wait till it's over and do a little gear shopping!

Back in the 70s when I took my “basic scuba” course, we had to be CPR certified to get our C - card so when I had to help out my instructor, the knowledge that I leaned really helped me out with his rescue.

Yes. Think about the possibility of sliding through all diving free of accidents until you're too old to dive. Then about all the things you learned and trained for regarding emergencies. On the morbid side, I guess it's like figuring that all the things you (needlessly?) worried about your whole life mean nothing after you're gone.

I drive the speed limit, stop at stop signs and have never taken my family car off-road. I have had fender benders but was never hospitalized.

The vast number of basic divers (that is the forum) who vacation dive or stay within recreational limits will follow the main tenets of safe diving (breath on ascent, clear your ears, don’t go into deco, don’t run out of gas), may never see some get bent or have have oxy-tox. Out of gas is the only one that average cattle boat diver is likely to see.

The learning and training are there so you don’t end up bent or with barotrauma. With proper training, recreational diving is not particularly dangerous. All this bad sh*t CAN happen, but it is not inevitable. If you are an instructor, rebreather, tech, cave, professional, public safety or doing deep wreck penetration, you will likely see one or more of these things. BUT, this is a basic forum, and we don’t need to unnecessarily scare the crap out of new divers.

In the average recreational dive career or 150-200 dives, it is quite possible to never see someone spit out a lung Or pull a lifeless corpse impaled on on pencil urchin and bent like a pretzel.

@AfterDark, I will be honored to pull your half eaten corpse from the water, and don’t worry, none of your gear would A) fit and B ) most of it isn’t that great....

I was an instructor and cave diver in the Yucatan through the 90's into the 2000's, so I've been invloved in a few incidents, and numerous times have gone into the hyperbaric chamber, as a tender for bent divers (a good buddy, and my cave diving partner, used to help staff the place).
For starters, I've had a few clients run out of air,(or get so close i immediately put them on my octo, and hustled them to the surface), but nothing major from any of those.
I had a client kneel on a stonefish once, and another put his fingers too close to a brown spotted eel, which shredded his fingers. We made straight for a hotel pier, and got him in a taxi and to a doctor.
One time way back in a cave, I watched a slab of rock fall on my buddy, causing a rapid air loss from one of the his back-mount regs/tank valves. I quickly shut that valve off, checked that he was ok (helmet wearer), and then we boogied on home (took over an hour till we could see daylight, and do our deco stop !) Now THAT was a jolt of adrenaline !!! (and as it turned out, not my scariest cave incident :eek: )
I had a pair of female divers once, that basically ignored the entire pre-dive brief, did what they wanted, then didn't hear me banging on my tank (and screaming and cussing into my regulator!) while they were holding hands and dog paddling along the wall, 20-30 ft below the rest of us, till I swam down and got them to ascend and rejoin the group.
Then, when they were prematurely low on air, I sent them up, reminding them to do a safety stop. I watched them basically float up like balloons.
On the surface, I enthusiastically recommended they skip the next dive, and explained why, but they didn't wanna. So I stretched the surface interval longer than normal, while repeatedly checking them for any symptoms, and they seemed ok, and insisted they were good.
So, with a lengthy 1.5 hour surface interval (all I could manage with other paying clients on board),they were still feeling fine, so I took us all the way up to Paradise reef ( longest boat trip, and the shallowest option available), then had them stick with me over top of the reef, in only 25 ft of water.
Well, afterward we all went to the same restaurant for lunch and while we were eating, one of the women collapsed on the floor !!! My boss and I were taking care of her, while people eating at tables inches away didn't so much as look at us !!! (which was really weird).
She was coherent but only semi-mobile, so we practically carried her to a taxi and we all ran to the chamber, and got her inside. After the women enthusiastically praised us for our efforts, we found out later they were trying to fabricate some kind of case against us. I wrote a long,detailed letter to PADI, explaining the reality of the incident, and we never heard anything after that.
Another time, i was doing OW lectures for a couple clients, when somebody came to the shop, said a buddy of mine and a diver (that turned out to be his sister visiting from Canada), were lost in the open ocean after diving Barracuda (back when you needed official permission to dive up there, which he seldom bothered with).
Back then, the island had arranged to have a search plane on standby for just these situations, and they asked if I'd go up as a spotter, but they were concerned that since it was getting close to dark, it would be pointless, but I assured them that this guy would definitely have a flashlight with him, and we should go.
So we bolted to the airport, and just as we were boarding the plane, someone ran out and told us they'd been found and picked up by a navy vessel, that was heading in to Cozumel with some sort of mechanical issue. It was actually the ship's cook that spotted them, and when the launch brought them on board, and the captain identified the cook as the guy that spotted them, so my buddy, in a bizarre fit of gratitude, gave him his speargun,LOL !!!
Once again, apologies for the long-winded trip down memory lane !:D

@AfterDark, I will be honored to pull your half eaten corpse from the water, and don’t worry, none of your gear would A) fit and B ) most of it isn’t that great....

I'll remember that remark about my gear when you ask me if you can use one of my 72's with a j valve. :)

Back
Top Bottom