personal protection factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear all,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I simply did not see this post. I am happy to answer any and all posts (we are not keeping dirty secrets). Please keep in mind, I am now here by myself, voluntary, and have a job that keeps me traveling, and very busy, not to mention my family life. I've taken the time to respond to this board on my weekends in an effort to help and respond in a timely manner. If you look at my statistics you will see almost 1000 posts and what you can't see are approximately the same volume of private messages I've received and responded to. I am dissapointed to see how quickly Mares can be slandered. I hope you will understand we are not the bad guys. But rather spend alot of time in the field and here on the board trying to answer questions, solve problems, and promote our brand. I think we are doing a good job, just ask many of the others globally that have benefited from our time here.

To answer your question, essentially the personal preference settings adjust or shortens the no decompression dive times. This affords the end user some levels of conservatism without having to manually think it through. I am not an electrical engineer, nor a mathmetician, so please don't ask me to go into detail how it does it; I won't know.

The reality IMO is most divers do not adjust this setting regularly, they set it once and keep it this way. However there is some demand and use for this function by enough divers to warrant our adding this as an option.

Best regards,

Thanks for the response Zak....:)
So I do understand the idea behind the different settings and thank you for being up front and telling me you do not know what each setting does precisely. Do you know who could answer this?
I think it is a rather important piece of information to understand if it is to be used. For example, if P++ give 10 minutes less time before deco then a prudent diver should know precisely that, rather than being put in a position of guessing should a critical event occur........There must have been some sort of paramiters that the average diver could understand?
Again, thank you for your response.

I'm not sure if there is someone on this side of the Atlantic that can articulate exactly what transpires. There are so many variables that can contribute to your profile, ie previous dives, depths, etc... I'm not sure it is just a static adjusted measurement.

I suggest you set the parameters at 0 then go to dive planner and see what your next dive profile could represent. Then change the setting to ++, return to planner and take a look. I think the dive planner is going to be a useful tool for you whether your adjusting these settings or not.

Coincidentally my computer battery just died so I can't do it from here to tell you. I happen to fall into the category that has it set at 0 and do not adjust hence I don't have enough personal experience to suggest one way or the other.

Best,

Not really interested in trial end error to figure this out.
Are you suggesting that there are Mares experts on the other side of the Atlantic that will know?
If so, how do I contact them?

Thanks again for your help....:)

a quick run with planning mode on my nemo air shows the change in no deco time. for my settings ean32 fresh water
and no dives in 24hr.

PFO P+ P++
59FT 78MIN 64MIN 52MIN
69FT 57MIN 47MIN 39MIN
79FT 43MIN 35MIN 29MIN

so i can see why people leave it on PF0

Hi Zak

Are you suggesting that there are Mares experts on the other side of the Atlantic that will know?

Thanks again for your help....

I'm not sure if there is someone on this side of the Atlantic that can articulate exactly what transpires. There are so many variables that can contribute to your profile, ie previous dives, depths, etc... I'm not sure it is just a static adjusted measurement.

I suggest you set the parameters at 0 then go to dive planner and see what your next dive profile could represent. Then change the setting to ++, return to planner and take a look. I think the dive planner is going to be a useful tool for you whether your adjusting these settings or not.

Coincidentally my computer battery just died so I can't do it from here to tell you. I happen to fall into the category that has it set at 0 and do not adjust hence I don't have enough personal experience to suggest one way or the other.

Best,
Hi Zak

Best,
Hi Zak

Hi Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom