personal protection factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if there is someone on this side of the Atlantic that can articulate exactly what transpires. There are so many variables that can contribute to your profile, ie previous dives, depths, etc... I'm not sure it is just a static adjusted measurement.

I suggest you set the parameters at 0 then go to dive planner and see what your next dive profile could represent. Then change the setting to ++, return to planner and take a look. I think the dive planner is going to be a useful tool for you whether your adjusting these settings or not.

Coincidentally my computer battery just died so I can't do it from here to tell you. I happen to fall into the category that has it set at 0 and do not adjust hence I don't have enough personal experience to suggest one way or the other.

Best,
Hi Zak

Not really interested in trial end error to figure this out.
Are you suggesting that there are Mares experts on the other side of the Atlantic that will know?
If so, how do I contact them?

Thanks again for your help....

what is it you are trying to figure out? what the rgbm formula is?
Back to the origonal question.This is a question for the experts at Mares.
I have a new Nemo Air. There are settings for "personal protection factor" P++ and P+ and PFO.
What does each setting do?
I understand that P++ will give an additional safety factor, but what does that mean? Earlier warnings? Longer safety stops?
Could you please explain exactly what each setting adjusts? It would seem that this is a very little understood part of the mares computer, even by the district manager for mares. I think that if a diver is using this it should be completly understood to ensure a safe dive.
Zak has indicated that he does not know the details of what each setting adjusts, but does suggest that other people on the "other side of the Atlantic" may know.
I guess I would like to hear from these people. Seems kind of odd that no one in North America knows the answer at Mares..........

Back to the origonal question.This is a question for the experts at Mares.
I have a new Nemo Air. There are settings for "personal protection factor" P++ and P+ and PFO.
What does each setting do?
I understand that P++ will give an additional safety factor, but what does that mean? Earlier warnings? Longer safety stops?
Could you please explain exactly what each setting adjusts? It would seem that this is a very little understood part of the mares computer, even by the district manager for mares. I think that if a diver is using this it should be completly understood to ensure a safe dive.
Zak has indicated that he does not know the details of what each setting adjusts, but does suggest that other people on the "other side of the Atlantic" may know.
I guess I would like to hear from these people. Seems kind of odd that no one in North America knows the answer at Mares..........

Duckdiver,

I was trying to be a little "tongue and cheeck" with the Atlantic comment. Our co-workers in Italy are not engaging in this forum. At the end of the day, the PFO setting shortens the dive time and depth. This essentially creates a "safer" profile. I didn't write RGBM algorithim so I do not know exactly how this occurs. My understanding is it is calculating everything (previous dive profile, current profile, depth, BT, everything) so it is not as simple as suggesting it is a static - or + X minutes per setting. They are not designed for you to interpret on the fly, ie: set it for a conservative setting, experience an issue and then self determine how to calculate back to a more liberal algorithm.

If you would like to post this question on our Q and A forum dedicated to computer software assistance, you are more than welcome to please visit Software Mares Support I'm not sure if they will help here. Example. I'd like to know how my flat screen works, but Sony doesn't offer access to their engineers to explain it to me. Maybe if you post this question, in the general computer section of this board you will find someone with their ideas.

This will be my last post re: this issue. I really hope you find some resolution to your questions. I am very short on time in general, I have a little of it to share here, but I do not have enough time to keep responding to the same question.

I wish you the best, and safe diving.

Sincerely,

or is this what you are looking for at pf0 and a depth of 79 feet your no deco dive time is 43 mins with p+ selected the no deco time is reduced by 28% rounded up or down by the nearest tenth. taking your no deco time to 35 mins if you select p++ your no deco time of 35 mins takes another 28% hit and is reduced to 29 mins. why it is a 28% hit i dont know but that is what the software does. and it is the same at every depth ie. pfo at 59 ft no deco time is 78mins-28% = 64mins which is the no deco time of p+.

or is this what you are looking for at pf0 and a depth of 79 feet your no deco dive time is 43 mins with p+ selected the no deco time is reduced by 28% rounded up or down by the nearest tenth. taking your no deco time to 35 mins if you select p++ your no deco time of 35 mins takes another 28% hit and is reduced to 29 mins. why it is a 28% hit i dont know but that is what the software does. and it is the same at every depth ie. pfo at 59 ft no deco time is 78mins-28% = 64mins which is the no deco time of p+.
Thats great c5diver. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
I feel bad for taking up so much of Zaks time. I just thought he was an equipment manager and district sales manager. Not sure why he compared diving equipment specs to a television???? I do rely on my dive equipment to keep me alive under the sea......hence the rather anal approach I have to ubderstanding all aspects of my equipments operation. My Flat screen is purely for entertainment, I really don't care how it works, as long as is works....:)
Again, Thank you very much for the insight.....:)

glad i could help. this sort of thing is not really zak's job where he does have specs values. this is just a software predetermined value. with that said i have both a nemo air and a suunto cobra 3, both offer a protection factor and neither tell you what each setting does and they both use the same formula but i dont know if the cobra has the same % applied to each factor. i simply have not used it. but as far as the nemo goes those are the numbers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom