personal protection factor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is a question for the experts at Mares.
I have a new Nemo Air. There are settings for "personal protection factor" P++ and P+ and PFO.
What does each setting do?
I understand that P++ will give an additional safety factor, but what does that mean? Earlier warnings? Longer safety stops?
Could you please explain exactly what each setting adjusts?
Thank You
duckdiverdave

Sorry to highjack your thread, duckdiverdave, but I like to know the same thing (what the personal protection factor really does) - just for the Icon HD ...

So could anyone please explain the "dirty" details for both the Nemo Air and the Icon HD ?

Thanks in advance :)

Best regards,
Jakob

It might, but the link between PFO and DCI is, to my knowledge, not documented. Of cause, if a diver knows that he/she has a PFO, then diving with a higher degree of "conservatism" would properly be a good idea - if diving at all ...

But instead of "why", the question was: "... please explain exactly what each setting adjusts" ... hence the "dirty" details ... :)

Best regards,
Jakob

Last edited:
It would seem I am not the only one that would like to know precisely what each setting alters.
If a Mares expert could answer this it would be greatly appreciated......
Cheers

If you want to know exactly what your computer is doing you should buy one that uses a known algorithm. e.g. Shearwater or Liquivision. These are not cheap though.

IMHO "Personal Protection Factors" "Predictive Multigas Algorithms" and so on are merely impressive sounding phrases that mask worthless marketing.

Good luck getting an answer from Mares!

If you want to know exactly what your computer is doing you should buy one that uses a known algorithm. e.g. Shearwater or Liquivision. These are not cheap though.

IMHO "Personal Protection Factors" "Predictive Multigas Algorithms" and so on are merely impressive sounding phrases that mask worthless marketing.

Good luck getting an answer from Mares!
Thanks Ian
I think you are correct. Judging by the lack of response it would appear that Mares does not know what the PPF is either. Perhaps it is simply worthless marketing. Good call.
I do think it is important though to keep this thread alive so other divers know how worthless this marketing propoganda is and are able to make purchasing decisions based on the info, or in this case aparent neglect of info on the part of Mares.

its not just a mares thing i have the same option on my cobra 3

this is an adjustment in the RBGM model

This feature is used to adjust the computer to be more conservative, according to personal
preference, by entering the suitable Personal Adjustment setting
Personal Adjustment settings. In ideal conditions, retain the default setting, PF0. If conditions
are more difficult, or any of the factors which tend to increase the possibility of DCI exist,
select P+, or even the most conservative P++. The dive computer then adjusts its
mathematical model according to the entered Personal Adjustment setting, giving shorter
no-decompression times

Back
Top Bottom