Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a very good point. The Petral, unlike most recreational computers, will happily let you maim yourself. It doesn't have horns and bells and whistles that will warn you if you are violating deco, or ascending too fast or if you set the GF at a risky level. The folks at Shearwater targetted their machines at people who know what they're doing...
Once gain, that's not entirely true and "maim" is way too strong a word. A Predator or Petrel will give you ample warning with red or flashing amber messages indicating that you are doing something stupid and it will in many cases require you to acknowledge that act of stupidity.

It does leave you firmly in charge however. For example if you end your first dive of the day on O2, the Predator will leave O2 as the selected gas, rather than defaulting to something else. The end result is that as you descend below 20 feet on your next dive, it will start giving you warning messages that you are on 02 and below 20' creating a PO2 above 1.6. Now, you are not really on O2, you just failed to re-set the computer to the proper gas at the beginning of the dive. And if you miss the warning for a minute or two on descent while you are busy with other things, a Predator or Petrel won't lock you out. It will happily let you change the computer to the right gas and let you continue the dive. The only harm is that it's been calculating the nitrogen loading and total CNS load based on 100% O2 for those few minutes of the dive. You should however be smart enough to understand what that means and perhaps pad your final deco stop by a minute or two to account for that.

That's preferable to the computer defaulting to some other programmed gas that may or may not be present. For example, some dive computers I have owned automatically default to air, which means I would have no warning of the gas selection error in the above example, and by the time I noticed the problem, the tissue loading information could be seriously in error, forcing a much longer deco than necessary, or reversion to tables. With the Predator or Petrel you only make the "forget to change the active gas to something other than O2" only once or twice before you add that item to your mental pre-dive checklist.

Another thing it assumes is that all the programmed gasses that are "on" will be used in the dive. That means the total time to surface will be shorter than actual if you don't in fact have all those gases available. Shearwater added the "on/off" function to the gas menu a few years ago as a response to customer input, and it was a nice change as prior to that you had to remove any other regularly used gasses from the menu to avoid having them used in the TTS calculation. However now you can leave them in the computer, and just turn them "off". It also means you can leave the deco gasses "off" until you need them, which means the TTS is actually your much more conservative lost deco gas time to surface. In short, you can run it however you want to run it, as long as you understand what it's doing, but that's not the same as maiming yourself.

To my knowledge the only time a Petrel or Predator will assume anything is when you bail out from CC to OC. It automatically selects the lowest PO2 gas suitable for the depth that is available in the computer settings, and then assumes you're on that gas, until you tell it other wise, as Shearwater assumes you might be task loaded with other issues for a minute or so after bailing out.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2015 at 11:35 AM ----------

Many, many people start diving and stop after only a few dives. I would not buy anything very expensive till you are certain you are going to keep diving and also go onto tech diving. In any case, as others have pointed out, you really should not be going tech diving till you have a lot of experience (in my view well over 100 dives at the very minimum). At the average rate most divers rack up dives, this would be three or four years, so you would probably be able to get an even better version of the Petrel at probably a cheaper price. Any computer you buy now will not be wasted, they are very handy as a backup, especially on a dive holiday.
I don't disagree.

Few people actually put in 100 dives a year. Freshwater divers or shore divers who are not tied to an expensive dive charter that gets blown out half the time will have a much better chance of doing 100 dives a year. Similarly, if you own your own boat and slip it at a marina you'll have a lot more opportunities to dive.

On the other hand, Marci got OW certified and on her first ever post certification dive decided she wanted to be a cave diver. About a year later at dive 100 she was in Cavern class, and after Cavern and Intro she drove from NC to FL every other weekend to cave dive.

Now, we make an average of 4 trips a year to FL or MX with usually 7 diving days per trip, which means in a normal year we can get 56 cave dives per year, each averaging about 100-120 minutes.

That however is also not the norm, as we've been cave divers for over 9 years now. The retention rate after 5 years of cave diving is down around 20%. The vast majority of cave divers, in in particular non local zip code cave divers, get into cave diving and only hang around a few years before dropping out.

The point here is that if you are driven and know exactly what you want to do, you should just get the right equipment to start with. I suspect one reason some cavern and intro to cave divers drop out is due to the cost of re-equipping with gear that is well suited to safe and comfortable cave diving at the full cave level. On the other hand you'll have no problem doing open water pretty fish dives with a subset of your full cave diving equipment.

When I hear petrel I hear ease of use with buttons constantly. Didn't realize some others were so hard though.

Another thought on the whole "intuitive user interface"/ease-of-use issue: Why don't you visit a dive shop or two and play with some computers to get an idea of what these user interfaces involve? Some people actually prefer a small computer with a small screen, don't find it at all difficult to use, and think that the Petrel would be like having a brick sitting on their wrist when they could have had something sleeker and just as functional for their purposes. If not for my near-vision getting worse as I age, I would still be enjoying my wristwatch-style Suunto. There are pros and cons to every style of computer.

I am not one to quit. I tell myself I am going to do something and I do it. I wanted to fight pro mixed martial arts and I did. I wanted to win titles in brazilian jiu jitsu and I did. I wanted to become an engineer after dropping out of high school and I did. I wanted to dive since I was a child and when I did my instructor said I was one of the calmest and most prepared students he ever had. I am no where close to most people.

Have you decided which diving agency you are going to pursuit? Not many agencies have Full Cave course and one or two of them won't let you use computer unless it is set in gauge mode!!

My mistake after doing some more research I see I was wrong. Is that the second stage only? Only making the offer today?

That would be the second stage only. That price is RIDICULOUS and I just saw that Divers Supply is also selling the 1st stage Hog BP2 Din for $59.98. That is ALSO ridiculous.. Hog is good stuff and self-serviceable after taking Hogs class. That is my intention..

Have you decided which diving agency you are going to pursuit? Not many agencies have Full Cave course and one or two of them won't let you use computer unless it is set in gauge mode!!
I believe I'll be taking TDI. NSS AND IANTD have also struck my interest. TDI is the most likely. It's who I am already certified with and will probably continue training with.

I will throw in my 2 psi worth

Buy a simple computer that also does Nitrox, then when you upgrade to whatever tech computer is available you have two options:

1. Sell it to a new diver to offset the price of the new tech computer

or

2. Keep it and use it in gauge mode when you are diving with your new computer

The first two computers I bought I sold when progressing to newer and more advanced models (all Suunto) and bought a Petrel 2 this year which as others have mentioned before is very easy to use and more intuitive than say the Suunto HelO2, which I now use exclusively in gauge mode as the font size is nice and big for my ageing eyes as well as easier to manage gas changes.

I don't know if others do the same but when I have bought a new computer I have used two side by side on my wrist to run a comparison of times etc.,

I will throw in my 2 psi worth

Buy a simple computer that also does Nitrox, then when you upgrade to whatever tech computer is available you have two options:

1. Sell it to a new diver to offset the price of the new tech computer

or

2. Keep it and use it in gauge mode when you are diving with your new computer

The first two computers I bought I sold when progressing to newer and more advanced models (all Suunto) and bought a Petrel 2 this year which as others have mentioned before is very easy to use and more intuitive than say the Suunto HelO2, which I now use exclusively in gauge mode as the font size is nice and big for my ageing eyes as well as easier to manage gas changes.

I don't know if others do the same but when I have bought a new computer I have used two side by side on my wrist to run a comparison of times etc.,
I don't believe in purchasing things on the internet if I can support my LDS. Or any local business for that matter. My options are Petrel, Sherwood Amphos, Sherwood Wisdom 3, and Cobalt. the Cobalts is out of my range so that's really a non factor.

Another aspect if it has not been mentioned. I am not sure where the Sherwoods are made but Petrels are at least made in North America ( Canada). As well their customer service is some of the best I have ever seen, and I have heard this over and over again from others.

Ratio deco is popular with a particular agency, but computer use is the norm in a full cave course.

Back
Top Bottom