Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe in purchasing things on the internet if I can support my LDS. Or any local business for that matter. My options are Petrel, Sherwood Amphos, Sherwood Wisdom 3, and Cobalt. the Cobalts is out of my range so that's really a non factor.
I kind of was like that before my dry suit fiasco. Now I buy expensive stuff from people who have a long track record of knowing what they are doing.

I kind of was like that before my dry suit fiasco. Now I buy expensive stuff from people who have a long track record of knowing what they are doing.
I will buy local if at all possible. Since I like the computers I mentioned why would I go anywhere else? I have done a little research and played a little with them. They have a good dry suit as well that ALL the guys I know around here use (mainly because its not crazy expensive and everyone likes the shop) Its not a suit I have heard much about, its called The comfort zone. That Said I am looking at getting either hog or apeks regulators just due to the good stuff I have heard. I will not be able to get these at my shop. They carry atomic and the more I read about them the more I feel like the are over priced rec gear.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Searcaigh
I will throw in my 2 psi worth

Buy a simple computer that also does Nitrox, then when you upgrade to whatever tech computer is available you have two options:

1. Sell it to a new diver to offset the price of the new tech computer

or

2. Keep it and use it in gauge mode when you are diving with your new computer

The first two computers I bought I sold when progressing to newer and more advanced models (all Suunto) and bought a Petrel 2 this year which as others have mentioned before is very easy to use and more intuitive than say the Suunto HelO2, which I now use exclusively in gauge mode as the font size is nice and big for my ageing eyes as well as easier to manage gas changes.

I don't know if others do the same but when I have bought a new computer I have used two side by side on my wrist to run a comparison of times etc.,

I don't believe in purchasing things on the internet if I can support my LDS. Or any local business for that matter. My options are Petrel, Sherwood Amphos, Sherwood Wisdom 3, and Cobalt. the Cobalts is out of my range so that's really a non factor.

I don't recall mentioning anything about buying online in my post :confused:

Don't make the LDS the standard on purchases. Find what you want and what will serve you best. then get your Lds to get if for you if they can. Many things are not worth buying on like because capabilities of an item. Sometimes it is worth buying outside the LDS. I bought my tanks at the LDS but my computer I bought on line. same computer at 1/2 to 2/3 the cost. Sometimes you just have to make hard choices.

Why go buy somewhere else if I am content with the product offered. If that wasn't the case, I would have no problem. Currently I am looking for apeks and hog gear. My LDS does not offer, so I will go to another shop. I don't have a problem with that. But since I am interested in the Petrel and the Sherwood is a decent computer, I haven't heard the best about suunto. I see no reason to go anywhere else for a computer when I have great choices at my fingertips.

Well sadly, today is the day I have to wrap my Petrel 2 and place it under the tree. Never to be seen again at least until Dec. 25th. I spent the afternoon of Saturday and a bit of yesterday playing with my new shiny.. Replaced the battery with a brand spankin new Duracell and configured it to my likings. It is an amazing piece of equipment and I can NOT wait to dive it. I think our local quarry will be open the day after Christmas and if the weather is anything like it is right now, I will be getting wet!!!

Why go buy somewhere else if I am content with the product offered.
I see no reason to go anywhere else for a computer when I have great choices at my fingertips.

There are two reasons to go outside the LDS that I've encountered thus far.

One is the same as you - my LDS didn't carry a particular brand I wanted. Another is that some gear cannot be pre-researched online since it's "fit based." For such gear you have to go to multiple places and find the item that fits you well, then go and research it before you make the decision. That's where smaller LDS lose.

(Since you're buying a computer that your LDS carries, you clearly won't have problem with fit.)

---------- Post added November 30th, 2015 at 10:09 AM ----------

Well sadly, today is the day I have to wrap my Petrel 2 and place it under the tree.

It was supposed to go straight under the tree. If kids can wait, you can too! :)

Bubble_blower87, in view of the fact that you accomplish everything you set out to do and cave diving is your goal I would research the training, equipment, and skills needed to get you there. If money is no object by all means get the Petral. If you decide never to go cave/tech it will make a fine rec computer. (BTW, you can dive caves without mixed gas or the need to make fine adjustments (GF's) that require tech computers). If money is a consideration, I would invest initially in a good set of regs and a BP/wing. Take all the prerequisite courses and work on skills and make lots of dives. Dive on tables (PADI, SSI, etc.) and start saving for that Petral. You'll have the money in a year putting away $30 / pay (assuming 26 pay periods). At this time next year you'll know if diving is for you and if you want to progress toward cave/tech.

I dove my first year exclusively on tables and was fine. I had enough saved up to buy a computer at the end of the year. If you do a live-aboard or other multiple dive/day trip rent a computer from your LDS. If I had the money (justification) I would buy the Petral for myself. Stay safe and have fun diving.

Back
Top Bottom