Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you said about knowing what I really want is pretty spot on. The only thing I have left to purchase is a regulator set. It really isn't a big deal for me to have that right now due to the season. I won't be diving much for the next few months. If I do I will be going to Florida in which case it's not a problem to rent a regulator. I figured I could spend the next few months learning about my computer and getting familiar with it. I have used several regulators... I already know how to breathe. I will get a reg set here in a month or so.

Showing up at a FL dive boat with your own heavy-hitter computer and renting a reg set because you haven't bought one yet is a bit reversed from the normal sequence of gear acquisition, but I would interpret it as a testament to Shearwater more than anything else. I suspect you will approach the regulator purchase decision with the same attitude: get what you really want, rather than what is the norm for a new diver. Enjoy the gear.

Was thinking either HOG zenneith or apeks XTX50. I will probably not be diving much in Florida. I just meant diving season is over here in NC and if I wanted to dive anytime soon I would have to go to Florida. I should for sure have a regulator within the next couple months. Before it cranks up around here anyway.

I would seriously wait for the Deep 6 regs to come out. Same price as the Hogs, better regulators imho, and can still diy service. The XTX50's are nice, but not worth the price premium especially since you can't service them yourself. Dive Rite XT would be my recommendation for new regs if you can't wait for the Deep6's to come out, or have an aversion to orange.

Gonna wait and look at some of the stuff you and victor have to show me also! Edd recommended the dive rite XT to me so I do need to check those out as well.

I would seriously wait for the Deep 6 regs to come out. Same price as the Hogs, better regulators imho, and can still diy service. The XTX50's are nice, but not worth the price premium especially since you can't service them yourself. Dive Rite XT would be my recommendation for new regs if you can't wait for the Deep6's to come out, or have an aversion to orange.

How do you know if they're better regs when they aren't even out yet?

they're built, they've been dove, there's some nice stuff about them that wins over the d3's in the design parameters. Will have to wait for the production units to get here in a few weeks, but the prototypes are very nice. One of the nicest things for sidemount is the HP ports are back at 90* to the din screws so they lay up much nicer if you are lollipopping the spg's.

At this level, you of all people know that it is splitting hairs and there isn't any huge things separating any one regulator from the others, so it all comes down to the little things.

... especially since you can't service them yourself.
Not true. Of course you can service them yourself and you don't even need special tools. The service kits are even cheaper than the HOG ones. So, actually total cost of the Apeks regs will be lower than HOGs after you serviced them a few times.
Who knows whether Deep6 is even gonna be around in a few years. If that's the case, you can chuck those regs ones they need service.

except you can't buy Apeks parts kits in the US and some of the Euro distributors have had their dealer license pulled for sending gray market parts kits to the US.

The parts kits for the ODS regs are actually all pretty similar so even if they go out of business you can find parts, but the company longevity concern would push me to Dive Rite over Apeks in this country. If I was in Germany where your consumer protection laws ban companies from refusing to provide parts then I would agree with you, but in the US that is not the case and is a huge reason Apeks and Scubapro aren't as prevalent in the technical diving markets as they used to be.

You wanna use 'similar parts'? I rather use the originals.
... in Germany where your consumer protection laws ban companies from refusing to provide parts then I would agree with you,...
Sometimes you just make stuff up right? You can't service Apeks, these laws I never heard of. There is no such law and many manufacturers don't sell parts directly to the consumer. Who tells you this stuff?

Also there is something called mail, they bring stuff to your house and it's still cheaper.

People are baited by a low initial purchase price and have to pay more for the parts. Scupapro parts are fairly cheap too but you need to buy extra tools.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom