Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there ever sales on Petrels 2 since they seem so popular? Right now I am debating on the Petrel 2 or the aeris a300 cs. Any advice?

Are there ever sales on Petrels 2 since they seem so popular? Right now I am debating on the Petrel 2 or the aeris a300 cs. Any advice?

no, unlike most brands, the retailers don't have nearly the same margin on Shearwater so unless you know a shop owner who will cut you a deal you won't see them on sale. Shearwater is a no brainer over the Aeris, only other question is if you want AI, then I'd go with the SeaBear H3 which will have a transmitter out for it in a few months with a free firmware update

Were do you draw the line between recreational and technical diving? I dont know the zoop at all but based on comments. NItrox (as far as zoop goes) is in the technical arena. It cant be depth related because of those that have a tec30/40 card. It cant be frog kicks because thery are not limited to wrecks, caves, and >130 ft. Since the computer is physics adn gasses used. I would say that the zoop , as those have described it) is probably very inadaquate. If it doesnt have nitrox, and as some one said some strange algorythym, then it just does not fit into the norm like most other computers. If the zoop can not define even one gas , then how well will it serve anyone when they move on to nitrox? It would appear to me that the zoop is a computer that the diver has to learn to live with as opposed one that can grow with he diver. I use a petrel and mostly in the recreational arena. It like i have said in other posts, can be operated without a manual in your pocket. It wont lock out for the day, once you get to he first surface interval after a violation.

What fin????? You let her put on what ever fin or color she wants that results in you haveing a smile on your face the next morning. She will sooner or later come around on her own when she cant keep up with the others.

Still the thread is about the petrel, I am a proponent of shearater computers and not paid to do so. Any other computer I had in the past, I hd to read the book to figure the menu system out when ever i wanted to do a gas redefinition from 30 to 32 or air. The ony time I use the book now is when I upgrade the software or link to my desktop to transfer files. predator or petrel??? I would recommend the petrel not only because of the battery, but display difference and sunlight. I have always has the joy of offering a spare petrel to my buddy fo the day and let him wing it to make the ean32 selection. The joy comes when they say after a couple of minutes. This is too simple, why arent other computers like this? To me if you get a new car and cant figure out how to turn on the windshield wipers,,,, then you dont have wipers.... if you cant find the satalite selection for the radio then you dont have satalite. All my past computers have limited me to using about 10 % of thier capability. with the peterl I can comfortable use 70% of it. Which at that point I agree with you that you probably dont need that last 30% for rec diving since it deals with RB's ect. The costs are inline with so many other computers so for me its a no brainer. As to the aspect of .....if you are diving in hte UK then perhaps a DS should be higher on the priority list than the petrel.

Most certified divers never grow past recreational diving. The Zoop is a recreational dive computer. I'd venture the % of certified divers in the world that are recreational only, way exceeds those that do technical advanced diving. For divers that will never do deco dives, is the Zoop still a useless paperweight ?

What fin do you recommend for a 50 yr. new female diver who is 5' 2", 115 pounds ?

The Zoop does nitrox. Nitrox is considered recreational. Padi recreational nitrox class certifies you up to 36%.

For dive computers, a difference between rec and tec is trimix and planned decompression diving. The Zoop does not do trimix and the algorithm gets very conservative if you go into deco.

I started a thread in the fin section to discuss flexible vs stiff fins.

no, unlike most brands, the retailers don't have nearly the same margin on Shearwater so unless you know a shop owner who will cut you a deal you won't see them on sale. Shearwater is a no brainer over the Aeris, only other question is if you want AI, then I'd go with the SeaBear H3 which will have a transmitter out for it in a few months with a free firmware update

Any idea how much Seabear will sell the transmitter for ?

I believe you recommend the Oceanic Geo ? What do you think about the Oceanic Atom ? Looks to be basically a Geo with a transmitter ?

Geo is good, Atom is fine, but expensive, it's $900 with a transmitter, $600 without it. Without transmitter the Petrel is much better buy, if you need the transmitter I see no problem with it, I just wouldn't buy it.

Re. H3 transmitter, I have no idea, but I can't imagine it would be any more than the others, so plan in the $350-$500 range but we might get surprised. I don't have contacts with that company so my only knowledge came from the PDR episode where they talked about it and now from the website. Either way it is infinitely better than the Eon Steel due to the price difference....

Geo is good, Atom is fine, but expensive, it's $900 with a transmitter, $600 without it. Without transmitter the Petrel is much better buy, if you need the transmitter I see no problem with it, I just wouldn't buy it.

Re. H3 transmitter, I have no idea, but I can't imagine it would be any more than the others, so plan in the $350-$500 range but we might get surprised. I don't have contacts with that company so my only knowledge came from the PDR episode where they talked about it and now from the website. Either way it is infinitely better than the Eon Steel due to the price difference....

H3 looks interesting, but I am usually hesitant to buy newly released models. I like the smaller size of the Xdeep, but it's new too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom