Petrel2, Perdix, or Perdix AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it's a standard transmitter but I've never owned a wireless AI computer and no one I deco dive with or that I know that dives doubles uses one. So I'm asking if people that do with side mount or backmount doubles find them to stick out and be a pain rather than the nice streamlined routing without anything sticking out.

I guess it might help me to know the dimensions the pictures make it look large and like it would jut out like a yoke valve

I put mine on the right post pointing down and slightly out. It is pushed against by the wing if the wing is fully inflated. The primary hose runs immediately next to it. It is mostly protected by the body of the first stage.

I just took a picture but uploading from an iPad seems too hard for me...

That's what I imagined - it being down so it wouldn't be sticking out. I was worried it would stick into the wing since it seemed long enough to do that.

I have heard of people putting transmitters on doubles before,... However there are several potential drawbacks. 1 the transmitters (about 5- 6" long & about 2" in diameter, are rigid, thus making them potentially vulnerable to being snapped off in an overhead environment. Some people then use a short HP hose to fix this (to add flexibility),... but now you have the thing sticking out even further than before.... As with any electronics,... they can be prone to failure or signal loss. Although the Oceanic transmitters are among the best in reliability,they can still fail,.. much more likely than an analog gauge. Maybe I'm just old school.... I don't know.

Ah they are 5-6" long? That was what I was worried about. The only way I could route them would be down to prevent any jutting out in an overhead. 6" down would stick into my wing.

I have heard of people putting transmitters on doubles before,... However there are several potential drawbacks. 1 the transmitters (about 5- 6" long & about 2" in diameter, are rigid, thus making them potentially vulnerable to being snapped off in an overhead environment. Some people then use a short HP hose to fix this (to add flexibility),... but now you have the thing sticking out even further than before.... As with any electronics,... they can be prone to failure or signal loss. Although the Oceanic transmitters are among the best in reliability,they can still fail,.. much more likely than an analog gauge. Maybe I'm just old school.... I don't know.

Ah they are 5-6" long? That was what I was worried about. The only way I could route them would be down to prevent any jutting out in an overhead. 6" down would stick into my wing.
They're not 5-6" long.
They're 77 mm, or just about 3 inches long total. Once threaded into the first stage it's even shorter.
Perdix AI - Shearwater Research

I use one transmitter off my right post. It pushes into my wing slightly, if wing is quite full (usually only when checking wing and after a dive at surface). Same transmitter for two different ai computers. Analog gauge off left post.

Similar set up for single tank wing, and the transmitter again pushes into my wing slightly when wing is full. The wing is only full at the beginning and end of dive as above.

I have a second transmitter I've considered using for my pony (I solo dive a lot), but presently I just have a gauge off that. I've considered using a short 6" hp hose for the transmitter, and just tuck it away. My pony guage is on a 6" hose.

I've been very happy with the ai computers (perdix and aeris a300cs) and transmitters. I don't see the transmitter as being in the way any more than a first stage is "in the way".
I am, however, always concerned
Someone may want to "help" me by moving my gear around by cranking on the transmitter-it's a nice looking handle.

"Hi. I'm Jon. Please don't touch my gear, it freaks me out."

I would say if ur gonna be doing a lot of cave dives vs open water dives get the perdix not the AI save the money. Whether I'm diving back mount or side mount I wouldn't want to accidentally hit the transmitter and either have a catastrophic gas loss or it stop transmitting and not have an SPG as a back up

I'm going to go out here and say Perdix AI. I have an EON Steel, which I'm beginning to regret, and here's why:

One of the selling points when buying the EON Steel was that it will grown with my diving. However, I'm quickly finding that that isn't the case. Now I'm moving on to CCR, and I was thinking "great my computer supports CCR as a backup computer". However, it falls short in many ways:

- No support for Buhlmann with GF. Suunto computers ONLY support their proprietary RGBM algorithm. As a backup computer that's pretty useless. The Shearwater attached to my JJ-CCR will be using Buhlmann 30/85, and I'll be following that. My Suunto is likely going to lock out, because it's far more conservative. So my backup computer locks out for 48 hours after the first dive, what use is that? If Suunto are serious about making a tech diving computer, at least include Buhlmann with GF.

- The EON Steel will support up to 10 tank pods (transmitters). Imagine you have the need for 10 separate gases? You'd have to be a pretty serious tech diver for that. However, in CCR mode, you cannot monitor 2 tank pods simultaneously, like you might need in order to monitor say O2 AND diluent. *facepalm*

- In fact (and this seems to be a bug) you actually can't add a tank pod to a CC gas at all. It offers the option to assign a tank pod to your diluent, but then it just doesn't do it.

I searched around too see if anyone has any thoughts or solutions to these problems, but it seems that nobody is using the EON Steel as a serious CCR backup computer. It just doesn't work in practice. Perhaps Suunto aren't really bothering to develop it as a CCR computer because of this, but perhaps there is no uptake because Suunto just don't seem to understand CCR diving. I now understand why all the tech divers I know dive with a Shearwater and scoff at the EON Steel - it's not a mature CCR (or tech) dive computer.

I don't think this is limited to CCR diving. The algorithm problem is a big one - if your buddy is diving with a Shearwater (or pretty much any other tech computer) they're going to be using Buhlmann with GF. Or if you plan your dive using tables, or planning software then chances are you're going to be using Buhlmann, or perhaps VPM-B. No other computer or software is going to match up to your Suunto computer because... well, it's proprietary.

I understand Suunto wanting to promote RGBM and protect their IP, however, they can do this and still make the EON Steel dual-algorithm, and this would make the tech diving community sit up and start taking them seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom