Suggestion Phone #'s in profile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
SmokeAire

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
Would it possible to add a spot for phone # in our profile? I don't want to add it to my sig line but a place in profile would be great. Right now I have my cell listed in the Biography section.
Just a thought.
Thanks.

Chuck

mossym:
is there privacy concerns about putting your phone # on the web?

I doubt anyone could mine your # from your profile page. Many people post their number in a post for gatherings and such and don't seem too concerned that anyone reading that post now has their #. But if you really want to see something scary do a Google search on your Scuba Board screen name. Yikes!

Actually I just did it and the first listing was for my profile. When I clicked on it the unavailable page came up. However there were alot of references to my screen name that did produce results. So I guess TPTB has some how protected the profile pages from being displayed.

Actually,

while it is almost impossible to "mine" phone numbers from posts, it is quite easy to do it if we all use the same location to do it.

We don't "forbid" the exchange of phone numbers or E-Mail addresses, but we don't want to make it easy for the unscrupulous to grab a bunch of them easily.

SmokeAire:
.....But if you really want to see something scary do a Google search on your Scuba Board screen name. Yikes!

Actually I just did it and the first listing was for my profile. When I clicked on it the unavailable page came up. However there were alot of references to my screen name that did produce results. So I guess TPTB has some how protected the profile pages from being displayed.
Gee, that was scary. At least mine was the 23rd listing but it took me right to my profile page.

redrover:
Gee, that was scary. At least mine was the 23rd listing but it took me right to my profile page.

It actually went to your profile page? When I did it it said that page was unavaliable........ok so now I'm going to delete my # from my page just in case.

SmokeAire:
It actually went to your profile page? When I did it it said that page was unavaliable........ok so now I'm going to delete my # from my page just in case.
The unavailable part was due to the change in servers, ie the web address had changed hence the old link that was brought out by data-collecting spiders was no longer valid.

Just do what most people do, stick it in a PM, or alternatively if you dont care, stick it in the post - which you can search for phone and someone's name if you know who you are looking for.

Well I just googled my ID and was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the acknowledgment and kind words Pete :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom