Phuket,Chiang Mai, Bankok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I see... familiar with stuff floating been to Venice.. Thanks

Traminer:
Er.. you could dive in that moat that surrounds the old city of Chiang Mai. I had lunch in a cafe by the side once and almost lost my appetite. Tons of nasty stuff and floaters.

Thank goodness the northern Thais aren't as rowdy as the Bangkokians when it comes to spraying water on you during Songkran. In Chiang Mai, you could be sprinkled with evian or scented water. Bangkok, you'll be lucky to get out alive... :(

LOL!!! I've seen them filling up the water buckets in Chiang Mai at Songkram from that stinking river/moat, 2 days at Songkram there gave me the worst case of projectile vomiting ever. Wicked time though, Songkram in Chiang Mai is hectic!

Traminer:
Thank goodness the northern Thais aren't as rowdy as the Bangkokians when it comes to spraying water on you during Songkran. In Chiang Mai, you could be sprinkled with evian or scented water. Bangkok, you'll be lucky to get out alive... :(

That is so untrue. Even the Thais go to Chiang Mai for Songkran because it's so crazy there. The water activites last more than a week and the adults are worse than the kids. Showing that you have a camera will not keep you dry.

That moat is nasty though. I was violently ill for 3 days after Songkran and I blame it on the moat water. *shiver*

Yeeks.. I knew them Chiang Mai-ians are up to no good, storing up that nasty water in the moat. My thai friends there assure me that I'll have lots of nice sweet girls waiting to sprinkle jasmine water on my forehead at the airport. I'm packing my Super-Soakers Bazookas. (Btw is it true that even the immigration officers will aim their waterguns on you when you clear customs?)

Wonder how they do this on dive boats? Or should we expect full water wars?

Batfish - are there still day trips operating on Songkran?

Had a great time! diving in Phuket was rough due to a rough sea. The trip out to the main boat nearly killed us we got all banged up and some got very sea sick.. I will have to say that I enjoyed Hawaii and Mexico diving much better. I did not see anything different. It was worth the experience had fun in Bankok and Chiang Mai went to a 'ping pong' ball show (lol). Had several massages also (-:
I will not do a livaboard like the one in Phuket...we felt rushed by the DM's as if being stung by a cattle prong....I will stick with small liveaboards that do not drop off divers for the day that crowd the boat...

SteveDiver:
Had a great time! diving in Phuket was rough due to a rough sea. The trip out to the main boat nearly killed us we got all banged up and some got very sea sick.. I will have to say that I enjoyed Hawaii and Mexico diving much better. I did not see anything different. It was worth the experience had fun in Bankok and Chiang Mai went to a 'ping pong' ball show (lol). Had several massages also (-:
I will not do a livaboard like the one in Phuket...we felt rushed by the DM's as if being stung by a cattle prong....I will stick with small liveaboards that do not drop off divers for the day that crowd the boat...

Yep, it's that time of year in Phuket. The trip out to the Similans during monsoon season is a bit of a roller coaster. Next time you come, ask us about the way different ops work, and you will know what to expect from each one. When that happens, I'm certain Thailand will be better than Hawaii or Mexico.

I will not do a livaboard like the one in Phuket...we felt rushed by the DM's as if being stung by a cattle prong

So it was one of the cheap 2/3 day ones, speedboat transfer out & back, rush into the water, lots of divers....I guess I know which one. And the weather ain't gonna make it any better.

Batfish:
So it was one of the cheap 2/3 day ones, speedboat transfer out & back, rush into the water, lots of divers....I guess I know which one. And the weather ain't gonna make it any better.

Yes, we did not have much time.... I will have to say that it was interesting and I did have fun just did not like being "rushed" and some of the boat staff was kind of rude yelling at people. One couple that was on the boat switched DM's because of his demeanor and another got very upset because one of the helpers was yelling at him... It just appeared that they wanted their money and rushed everyone above and under water to get it over with....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom